Blenders 10 most overpraised albums

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since U Been Gone has been listed among the best songs ever on VC. Their description of the phenomenon seems accurate to me.

I agree with a couple on the list--Pet Sounds, solo Lennon stuff.

That's crazy talk, Mr. Carter.

While I do agree that, other than the fantastic Plastic Ono Band, Lennon's solo albums are a bit spotty ... I LOVE pretty much every other album/song on that list (I even like Since U Been Gone).

Prior to clicking on that link, I hadn't read anything from Blender in a couple of years. But this list is proof positive that Blender is just as awful a magazine as I remember it being. Some things don't change. Yikes.

the first five were somewhat fair, the second five were reaching. i'd say Lennon's albums are uneven after Imagine, but when was the last time someone went hyperbolic about Walls and Bridges? What greatest ever lists do these albums appear on? Astral Weeks probably isn't talked about enough compared to holy Pet Sounds.

Exile on Mainstreet is not overpraised.

When I was getting into the Rolling Stones (as a 24 year old, it took awhile since they're not so culturally relevant anymore, at least, not in my music circles) the consensus was to check out Exile first and foremost.

Like the Blender blurb suggests, the albums that precede Exile are just as solid and the highs are higher highs than on Exile IMO.

I do agree, however, that all these lists are trite, mind-numbing crap. But...I do totally agree with their Radiohead assessment too because The Bends is still the only album that doesn't make me change the music ASAP.

The only thing a agree with this on list (besides the Clarkson thing) is OK Computer. I recently spent a lot of time with this record trying my best to enjoy it, but as Blender says, its kind of tuneless. There just aren't a lot songs on the record that stick with me, although I do love "No Surprises". As far as the Stones thing goes, yes the albums that preceded Exile were all great, there is just something about the production (or lack thereof) that makes Exile special and timeless.

The only thing a agree with this on list (besides the Clarkson thing) is OK Computer. I recently spent a lot of time with this record trying my best to enjoy it, but as Blender says, its kind of tuneless. There just aren't a lot songs on the record that stick with me, although I do love "No Surprises".

Man, that entire album sticks w/ me more than anything else in Radiohead's catalog (besides specific songs, like Knives Out).

Blender is full of it.

I have to say worst list ever.

Tom Waits? overrated? huh? Am I missing something here? But last time I checked he is one of the most underappricated artists in rock music. His entire catalog is some of the best music ever put on tape.

I can't comment on the Clarkson disc (allow how could something related to American Idol have been going GAGA?)

They were spot on about Modern Times its utter shit. Although I highly doubt the folks at Blender understand what actully makes its so fucking bad. To critize Time Out Of Mind and Love & Theft is almost laughable.