Blenders 10 most overpraised albums

as a total old school hip-hop head, i'd never outright bash...because I agree w/ you from the perspective that mainstream hip-hop has lost it's original pulse in a lot of ways. it takes a lot of effort not to retreat into only listening to stuff i know i like from the golden era.

that said, hip hop...some of the classics even...haven't always had what i would consider an actual 'message'. actually, it's not even so much the actual lyrical content that turns me off from contemporary mainstream stuff nowadays, but the rehashed, plodding beats/hooks and lazy delivery over the top of them. the music itself is just stale and boring, even without the tired lyrical rap cliches.

Amen.

So this cat Ohmega Watts is the real shit??

I will grab it...

Perhaps I should dust off the old transcription pads and start writing again.

Should I go for the mags and share my passionate beliefs about music?? or get really adventurous and attempt to cut a truly relevant record with a message??

I don't know if too many "target market" music buyers would buy tracks from a 36 yr old white guy who grew up semi-poor in a marginal area, dropped out of community college, and steadily worked into the upper echelon of his industry through actual hard work while mildly sabotaging his credit rating by paying his student loans off late and forgetting to shut off the electricity from my name in that house I rented on the Fox River out in Geneva....

Don't get me wrong, I have stories... but I think my days of pure angst and identifying with the plight of the average inner city kid on the streets are long behind me...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen.

So this cat Ohmega Watts is the real shit??

I will grab it...

Perhaps I should dust off the old transcription pads and start writing again.

Should I go for the mags and share my passionate beliefs about music?? or get really adventurous and attempt to cut a truly relevant record with a message??

I don't know if too many "target market" music buyers would buy tracks from a 36 yr old white guy who grew up semi-poor in a marginal area, dropped out of community college, and steadily worked into the upper echelon of his industry through actual hard work while mildly sabotaging his credit rating by paying his student loans off late and forgetting to shut off the electricity from my name in that house I rented on the Fox River out in Geneva....

Don't get me wrong, I have stories... but I think my days of pure angst and identifying with the plight of the average inner city kid on the streets are long behind me...

How's your flow? That's all that matters.

i think "hip-hop" and "fraternity formal" being used in the same sentence kinda sums up the 'relevancy.' at least for me it does.

super. go have another bong hit, 2112. they weren't used in the same sentence and i'm pretty sure that being in a fraternity never hampered my musical intelligence.

How's your flow? That's all that matters.

Is this a question about the health of my prostate??

Everything that is supposed to be "flowing" is still working just fine, I will let you know if anything changes....

As far as flow on the mic... not so much.

i'm pretty sure that being in a fraternity never hampered my musical intelligence.

If this is true, you are likely to be in the minority...

Most greeks I ever knew were full blown fuck-tards and were lemmings marching headlong off the cliff while jamming out to the lowest common denominator in music at the time.

My favorite was a guy air-drumming to Alanis Morrisette "You Outta Know" on the radio in a car ride we shared while we were bar hopping with mutual friends.

He wandered away from us to hang with his "brothers" at nearly every bar we visited.

This was the era when all frat kids had to manditorily wear Birk sandals (usually with wool socks)... and tightly curled brim Stussy or Abercrombie baseball caps.

His date of that night was my date (and GF for a couple months) a few weeks after that... Then I dated his sister.

Come to think of it, I did pretty well when hanging with those idiots!!

hahaha, why so uppity and defensive?

you're taking shots at me for liking Rush while you name-drop Marvin Young? hope the irony's not lost on you.

it's not like you had a phalanx of S1Ws flanking you during homecoming or anything.

i could go all day on squidly frat b.s. but i think A_Wheel pretty much covered it already, a'ight?

whatever you say, tom sawyer.

Dear U.N. Jefferson,

this is a letter to formally apologize for insulting your fragile Tri-Lam sensibilities.

i'll refrain from quipping in the future about frat boys or Phish or Young MC.

re: TS

even i don't like that song... except for that middle jam part, which they nail every time.

A_Wheel, your posts on the previous page were spot on. Some of the most relevant things I've read on this board.

If this is a sincere post, then thanks...

If this sentiment is sarcastic (and therfore relevant in it's own right), then thanks again.

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be (relevant)

Nothin' to do no where to go-o-oh I wanna be (relevant)

Sorry.

As for El (Famous Burrito), I don't pat myself on the back...

Except for your penchant for throwing digs at Rush fans, you appear to be a fairly normal person with at least some taste in music.

So don't feel that ANY of that was directed to you... Unless you are wearing a rolled brim Stussy hat and Birks w/ heavy socks and standing next to a pool table talking too loud on a cell phone about an after-bar kegger when it's your shot.

Guest Golyadkin

I agree with Modern Times, Lennon, The Beach Boys, and Van Morrison.

Although I like those albums.. They are overpraised.

I think the worst one is Dylan's modern times.

I don't agree with Kid A, Waits or the Stones.

Kid A is brilliant, Waits I can listen to all day, and Exile is the quintessential Stones.