Went to the Ryan Adams show... and was underwhelmed. Cold Roses, Goodnight Rose were highlights in the first set and I thought the VERY SHORT second set was off to a great start... I See Monsters was great and I loved The Rescue Blues... but then some people requested some songs and Ryan got pissed. He tore up What Sin and then mumbled some things and left.

I am not splitting the atom here, but damn the guy is talented... great guitar work and incredible songs... but the voice mix was awful (not the Alabama Theater's fault) and he fumbles all around before the next song and who cares if someone requests Let It Ride. Damn Ryan... $40 bucks for your show... grow the hell up. I would think of it as an honor that so many people want to hear a track off a certain record. It's not like someone requested Summer of '69 or Cuts Like A Knife.

I guess I am spoiled by the unreal performances Wilco has put on and their professionalism. I couldn't imagine Ryan being in Jeff's shoes at a solo show... and I guess there is a reason why he'll never reach that status.

Long live Wilco... down with Ryan.

Go make another record and take someone else's money and time... I am just going to steal your music online now and never see you play live again.

Set 1:

Bartering Lines->

Tears Of Gold->

Mockingbird Song

Cold Roses

Peaceful Valley

Please Do Not Let Me Go->

Trouble On Wheels->

A Kiss Before I Go

Arkham Asylum

Goodnite Rose

Shakedown On 9th Street

Set 2:

I See Monsters

Nightbirds

Recue Blues

I Taught Myself How To Grow Big

What Sin

First set was wonderful. The band was super loose and jammy. opening bartering lines was terrific and Peaceful Valley and Arkham was great surprises. Looked like Ryan and the band were having a great time but then after ITMHTGO Ryan flipped out on some guy in the audience and played What Sin then walked off. It was a bit unexpected as the crowd was unbelievably quiet and respectful for the entire show up to that point. Oh well, got one solid set but i do have to say it was a little disappointing. I know that you have to sort of brace yourself for this sort of thing with Ryan, but damn, he needs to get a little thicker skin. The guy didn't even yell for a bryan adams song.

I was there too, and damn it was off to a great start but it was ridiculous for him to be so childish and just stop the show. On the way out someone said "well, at least he played for 90 minutes." But that 90 minutes included a 20 minute set break.

then after ITMHTGO Ryan flipped out on some guy in the audience and played What Sin then walked off. It was a bit unexpected as the crowd was unbelievably quiet and respectful for the entire show up to that point. Oh well, got one solid set but i do have to say it was a little disappointing. I know that you have to sort of brace yourself for this sort of thing with Ryan, but damn, he needs to get a little thicker skin. The guy didn't even yell for a bryan adams song.

really?

A friend saw him in Kansas City last week. He said that the show was great, that Adams was in a goofy mood and played a long satisfying set.

He did say that the audience was quite tense (not knowing whether to applaud, or yell, or just sit there politely), which I found really funny and sad at the same time.

I'm not even a huge RA fan, but I've downloaded a couple of his fairly recent shows from archive.org and have been listening to them quite a lot lately. Up until very recently, everything I'd heard about this tour was very positive. I guess Ryan is still Ryan. Oh well. I may have a chance to see him in Columbus soon--never seen him before, so if I go, I'll just hope for a tantrum-free night. :D