While not exactly scientific, these guys did a double-blind study on whether or not the human ear can really notice a difference between 160kb/s wavs and uncompressed wavs.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/do_higher...t_rates_pay_off

I'd like to see if more scientific studies have been done, but for now, I'm guessing the psychologically comforting fact that a song is uncompressed has a lot more impact than the actual sound quality... and that most people who think they can easily discern the difference between 160kb/s files and higher are fooling themselves...

I think the simple fact that most people don't have high-end listening devices is what makes low resolution recordings acceptable. I do lots of audio/studio work and use very accurate headphones. I also listen to any music with the same headphones and it is totally noticeable.

Until people have a setup where hearing the difference is a possibility (i.e. not iPod headphones) low bit rate recordings will continue to be widely accepted.

I think the simple fact that most people don't have high-end listening devices is what makes low resolution recordings acceptable. I do lots of audio/studio work and use very accurate headphones. I also listen to any music with the same headphones and it is totally noticeable.

What specifically do you hear (or not hear) on compressed files?

Lossy compression

Most lossy compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality. This is in contrast with lossless data compression.

Lossless data compression

Lossless data compression is a class of data compression algorithms that allows the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data. This can be contrasted to lossy data compression, which does not allow the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data.

I find that on compressed files the highs aren't as crisp and the bass isn't as defined.

When I put a new vinyl album on my turntable of an LP that I've been listening to for the past few weeks after downloading it from Oink, it is most obvious. The bass has form and structure and it sounds like a string instrument with a deep low register. And the high hats are crisp. And overall, the musical soundscape is just bigger and broader. Vertically and horizontally, if that makes any sense.

The music also feels closer to me. mp3s tend to feel further away.

I find that on compressed files the highs aren't as crisp and the bass isn't as defined.

When I put a new vinyl album on my turntable of an LP that I've been listening to for the past few weeks after downloading it from Oink, it is most obvious. The bass has form and structure and it sounds like a string instrument with a deep low register. And the high hats are crisp. And overall, the musical soundscape is just bigger and broader. Vertically and horizontally, if that makes any sense.

The music also feels closer to me. mp3s tend to feel further away.

That makes sense to me... also the artifacts comment...

I've noticed that some CDs with shitty mastering also produce artifacts - crackles at high volume on just about any stereo system, etc. I own a Best of John Lennon CD that sounds awful at high volume on most systems.

And you downloaded it from their official website? No offense amigo, but that's kinda lame.. :fish

Due to the weak dollar, a pound equals more money than is contained in the entirety of the United States and all her overseas possessions.