U2 CD/DVD/Vinyl Remasters

As far back as the Tom Snyder Tomorrow performance?

That was a great performance. I think the band themselves were no older than 14.

Yeah, those early performances had a great energy to them. I was 6, so I don't remember seeing it when it was first aired. I became a fan when the Joshua Tree videos were on heavy rotation on MTV, soon after my family first got cable! The band would have been 20/21 in 1981, but they look younger, don't they?!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, those early performances had a great energy to them. I was 6, so I don't remember seeing it when it was first aired. I became a fan when the Joshua Tree videos were on heavy rotation on MTV, soon after my family first got cable! The band would have been 20/21 in 1981, but they look younger, don't they?!

Thanks for shagging that down. They hardly look old enough to be on an airplane by themselves.

• 1 month later...

The remastered albums are now available streaming audio here: http://www.imeem.com/u2music

On Boy, the track Saturday Night is an early version of "Fire" and "Speed of Life" is an instrumental. On War "Angels too tied to the ground" sounds OK, but the vocal is definitely a recent track.

Check'm out.

Also, Amazon.com has a cool deal. All 3 remasters, plus a case/sleeve big enough for them plus a 4th for $63.99

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Box-Set-Amazo...id=F0EZX6QIQJQ8

I saw that amazon deal yesterday - I wonder how good of a deal it is.

Amazon has Boy and War listed for $27.99 and October for $29.99. Why the difference, I have no idea. So, that's $85.97 vs. $63.99. That's about a 25% savings. Not too shabby!

Bestbuy.com has them all listed at $19.99, or $59.97 total. So, that's a little cheaper still.

I think I may go ahead and get them all - if I end up at a Best Buy next week. Those albums are what the old folks call new wave. Maybe I'll wear a handkerchief around my neck when I go to buy them.

July 18, 2008 , 5:25 PM ET

Before U2's new album arrives in October, fans will have another vintage reissue to enjoy. The band's classic 1983 live album "Under a Blood Red Sky" will appear Sept. 23 via Universal as both a single CD and a CD/DVD set. Extra content has not yet been specified.

The original CD was recorded in St. Goarshausen, Germany, Boston and Morrison, Colo., while the home video includes just the latter gig at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Footage from Red Rocks was an early MTV favorite, helping break U2 in the United States.

I think I may go ahead and get them all - if I end up at a Best Buy next week. Those albums are what the old folks call new wave. Maybe I'll wear a handkerchief around my neck when I go to buy them.

Did you pick up any of these Analogman? I grabbed "Boy." Sounds great and the booklet is nice too. The rest can wait. My local Best Buy only had one copy of each of them on display. Not a real high traffic item I guess. I am looking forward to the "Under a Blood Red Sky" DVD/CD set I've heard rumors of in September.

They really have a new album out in October? That's not some bullshit deadline? Hmm.

The reported title for either the album or the first single is No Line on the Horizon

http://www.atu2.com/newalbum/

http://www.atu2.com/

They supposedly finished recording on June 28th and the album is expected on November 18th. They've been working with some of their studio favorites, Danial Lanois, Brian Eno and Steve Lillywhite. We'll see. I thought How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb had its moments, but was overall disappointing. I really enjoyed Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own, All Because of You and Crumbs from Your Table. Love and Peace or Else and Yahweh came off much better live than on CD. The rest are just OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how much can be done with a videotaped (not filmed, mind you) concert from a dreary evening in 1983?

For legal reasons, the snippet excerpt of "Send in the Clowns" in "The Electric Co." only appears on some editions of the album. Some versions of the video omit the song entirely

I have an original pressing of the album, and cassette - as well as the VHS.

I wonder how much can be done with a videotaped (not filmed, mind you) concert from a dreary evening in 1983?

Yeah, probably not much. It'll be nice to see it again though considering I don't have a working VHS player any longer! Weren't the ZooTV and Popmart video releases shot on videotape also? They turned out pretty good on DVD.

I have an original pressing of the album, and cassette - as well as the VHS.
Do you have the version with "Send in the Clowns"? I wonder which version the remaster will be? My guess is that back in 1983 the band just didn't have the funds for the licensing for the song, not that they weren't allowed to use it. They just couldn't justify paying for it!

Yes, it is on all three of the formats I have. I think that video was one of the first music films I ever bought. I have never seen any of thier films, besides that, and Rattle and Hum, of course.

Yes, it is on all three of the formats I have. I think that video was one of the first music films I ever bought. I have never seen any of thier films, besides that, and Rattle and Hum, of course.

I loved "ZOO TV: LIVE FROM SYDNEY" but that's probably just because I never got to see them on that tour.

I loved "ZOO TV: LIVE FROM SYDNEY" but that's probably just because I never got to see them on that tour.

I was just looking at my issues of Propaganda the other day - they are from around that time.

You haven't seen the DVD from the Joshua Tree boxset? It's really something.

No - what is that all about? I only have the VHS copy I bought for about 9 bucks brand new - back in the day.

Oh - that. I did not buy that version.

Edited by Analogman
No - what is that all about? I only have the VHS copy I bought for about 9 bucks brand new - back in the day.

Oh - that. I did not buy that version.

It includes a full-length concert from Paris on July 4 1987 along with a documentary from around that time. If you're interested in borrowing it, let me know.

• 1 month later...

The DVD

The CD

The Deluxe Edition

Recorded at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado on 5th June 1983, Live at Red Rocks will be available for the first time on DVD, and will include 5 previously unreleased songs, a director's commentary, digitally re-graded pictures and a 5.1 mix. 1. Out Of Control 2. Twilight 3. An Cat Dubh 4. Into The Heart 5. Surrender 6. Two Hearts Beat As One 7. Seconds 8. Sunday Bloody Sunday 9. Cry 10.The Electric Co. 11. October 12. New Year's Day 13. I Threw A Brick Through A Window 14. A Day Without Me 15. Gloria 16. Party Girl 17. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock 18. I Will Follow 19. "40"