U2 CD/DVD/Vinyl Remasters

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Wave, indeed. ha ha ha

I heard that Under A Blood Red Sky is going to come out on DVD.

It's listed on Amazon, but it appears to be the album, not the video. If I was them, which I'm obviously not, I'd release it as a CD/DVD combo.

Under Blood Red Sky (Dlx) (Exp) (Spkg) [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

I'd also release "Wide Awake in America" in conjunction with "The Unforgettable Fire" and the "The Unforgettable Fire Collection" on DVD.

I still have "The Unforgettable Fire Collection" and "Under A Blood Red Sky" on VHS.

It's listed on Amazon, but it appears to be the album, not the video. If I was them, which I'm obviously not, I'd release it as a CD/DVD combo.

Under Blood Red Sky (Dlx) (Exp) (Spkg) [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

I'd also release "Wide Awake in America" in conjunction with "The Unforgettable Fire" and the "The Unforgettable Fire Collection" on DVD.

I still have "The Unforgettable Fire Collection" and "Under A Blood Red Sky" on VHS.

Me too - that was the first U2 album I ever bought - Under A Blood Red Sky.

I'm surprised Unforgettable Fire isn't being reissued along with all those other early U2 albums.

It will be eventually. I'm glad U2 is releasing these remasters (Boy especially sounds lousy on CD), but I'd hoped they would spread them out a bit more. By the time they go into retirement or semi-retirement (or are cryogenically frozen in order to allow them to make a comeback 500 years from now), there's not going to be much of anything left to rerelease. I've loved U2 the band for a long time, but increasingly I find myself bugged by U2 the business. Of course all bands are out to make money, but U2 just seems to be so obvious about it anymore. I was only hoping for Under A Blood Red Sky on DVD this year, and a new album by the first quarter of next year. Antyhing else between now and then seems like a needless distraction. One remaster a year makes a lot more sense to me, and it would make them seem a little more special.

The prices of those cds are not very fan friendly.

As a longtime U2 fan, I'm really disappointed with how difficult they've made it over the last few years for longtime fans to buy just their new material. Have all the U2 albums? How about you plunk down $150 anyway to get just a handful of unreleased and rare material from the Complete U2? The only songs not available for individual purchase from U2 18 (the third U2 greatest hits collection, mind you) were the new songs. Now they're releasing the "super deluxe" remasters for $50 apiece. Granted, the Joshua Tree set is lovely, but at that price, I'm not in any hurry to get the others.

The only reason I've maintained my fan club membership is because I'm hoping they'll distribute presale codes for the next tour based on member number. Otherwise, I might as well have tossed $32 out the window every year for the last few years.

As I said, I've loved U2 since I was 13, but these days I find myself often not liking their business practices.

As a longtime U2 fan, I'm really disappointed with how difficult they've made it over the last few years for longtime fans to buy just their new material. Have all the U2 albums? How about you plunk down $150 anyway to get just a handful of unreleased and rare material from the Complete U2? The only songs not available for individual purchase from U2 18 (the third U2 greatest hits collection, mind you) were the new songs. Now they're releasing the "super deluxe" remasters for $50 apiece. Granted, the Joshua Tree set is lovely, but at that price, I'm not in any hurry to get the others.

The only reason I've maintained my fan club membership is because I'm hoping they'll distribute presale codes for the next tour based on member number. Otherwise, I might as well have tossed $32 out the window every year for the last few years.

As I said, I've loved U2 since I was 13, but these days I find myself often not liking their business practices.

They quit doing Propoganda, right? I have some issues of that from the Achtung Baby period.

They quit doing Propoganda, right? I have some issues of that from the Achtung Baby period.

They quit doing the printed Propaganda Magazine right after the Elevation tour, but not before I used their ticket service to score some floor tickets. They still charge for their extended/all-access on-line fan club. I've never forked over the bucks for it. They still release some exclusive items through the service. The latest was "U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle" in Nov. 2007 which was just the audio of the DVD of the same name.

The price is certainly high for the average fan. I'll probably still buy them because my CD copies are getting ragged and dog-eared. Especially War and Achtung Baby. I was really hoping for more really rare tracks or a DVD for more value added material, but oh well.

The only songs not available for individual purchase from U2 18 (the third U2 greatest hits collection, mind you) were the new songs.

Yeah, I hate that shit. not fan friendly. That forces their long time fans, their "base" to use a political term, to shell out more money for the couple of tracks they want, or just fans the flames of online piracy. Which I'll admit, I'm very much guilty of.

The new/rare tracks from the Joshua Tree remaster were available for individual purchase on iTunes. Hopefully they'll do that with this new batch of remasters also.

War Remastered: Tracklisting and Formats

And War too: here's the detail on the tracklisting and formats for the reformatted edition of War, on release in July.

Standard format:

A single CD with re-mastered audio and restored packaging.

Includes a 16 page booklet featuring previously unseen photos, full lyrics and new liner notes by Niall Stokes.

Tracklisting:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday 2. Seconds 3. New Year

Here's my analysis. Overall, the October release is stronger. Lots of great live tracks. Only one new track on the War album. I would have liked to have see some live tracks included with War instead of a bunch of remixes.

October

[*]Gloria (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) (new live track)

[*]I Fall Down (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) (new live track)

[*]I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) (new live track)

[*]Fire (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) (new live track)

[*]October (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) (new live track)

[*]With A Shout (Richard Skinner BBC Session) (new live track)

[*]Scarlet (Richard Skinner BBC Session) (new live track)

[*]I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Richard Skinner BBC Session) (new live track)

[*]A Celebration (single, also included on Complete U2 Digital Boxed Set)

[*]J. Swallo (B-side, also included on Complete U2 Digital Boxed Set)

[*]Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl (B-sdie, also included on Complete U2 Digital Boxed Set)

[*]I Will Follow (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) (released as a single, also included on Complete U2 Digital Boxed Set)

[*]The Ocean (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) (released as a single, also included on Complete U2 Digital Boxed Set)

[*]The Cry/Electric Co. (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) (released as a single, also included on Complete U2 Digital Boxed Set)

[*]11 O

I may have missed this in the thread - but didn't the lost October songs get found in the past couple of years? Weren't they going to record those songs?

Bono's lost notebook and suitcase from the October days was discovered in an attic in Portland in 2004. It had been stolen in 1981. There weren't full songs, just starts of lyrics and ideas. They might make it into the R&R Hall of Fame or something, but I doubt they every do anything more with them.

New York Times article

Bono's lost notebook and suitcase from the October days was discovered in an attic in Portland in 2004. It had been stolen in 1981. There weren't full songs, just starts of lyrics and ideas. They might make it into the R&R Hall of Fame or something, but I doubt they every do anything more with them.

New York Times article

I've always thought that was one for the record books - although, you sometimes hear of people getting various things back after years and years.

October is probably my least favorite U2 album, besides All That You Can't Leave Behind, but I do agree that its bonus material looks the strongest. I'm pretty sure I have that Paradise Theater show, but certainly the sound quality on this release will be better than what I already have. I'm actually glad to see all the Two Hearts Beat As One remixes on the War bonus disc, since I haven't been able to find most of them, and that's one of my favorite early U2 songs.

Boy was a dynamite first album, and still one of my favorites, but a lot of those early songs on the bonus disc aren't so good. U2 was really pretty awful when they first started out. It took awhile for Bono's singing voice to develop. It amazes me sometimes that they managed to get through those early years and find success.

I'm relieved to see they're not doing the super deluxe box sets again for these remasters. That would've been overkill. I wonder if the vinyl will be limited edition? In another five years or so when I finally buy my first house and can get the stereo system I've always dreamed of, I'd love to have them.

Cool thread. A-man, glad to see you're a U2 fan.

I was introduced to the band about a year after Achtung came out. U2 was the band of my adolescence. I wasn't as rapid a fan as some, but I bought a few bootlegs and saw them three times. I also have 100+ live shows and DVDs. Wilco, however, is the band of my adulthood.

I'm excited about these remasters. I thought they did a great job on JT, finally fixing the problem with Exit being too quiet in the overall mix. I'm really excited for whenever Achtung Baby and Zooropa are released.

Ugh. I never thought I'd buy another copy of October - ever. But, looks like I will.

I was a U2 fan before U were 2.

As far back as the Tom Snyder Tomorrow performance?

That was a great performance. I think the band themselves were no older than 14.