U2 CD/DVD/Vinyl Remasters

I wish they would have kept "Heartland" on that album and not replaced it with "Trip Through Your Wires", which I really dislike, at the last minute. I think they said that it made more sense with Trip so they ended up putting Heartland on Rattle & Hum instead but it would have made that second half of the album pretty damn great IMHO!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to this reissue. Hopefully, you I will be able to buy the unreleased tracks only on I-Tunes. I think like lots of people I have a love/hate relationship with U2 who were the first live band I saw at 13 on the War Tour. For fun, I looked at youtube clips of the Joshua Tree tour which I never personally witnessed. Talk about love/hate! It's a wonderful album but seeing them on stage makes me want to puke. The Joshua Tree back-drop, the waistcoasts, Western style hats all look so desperately contrived. It's so obvious that after the album was recorded that the band and Paul McGuiness decided that this would be the album that took them to superstar status in the States. Let's see? Release the band's first love song as the first single, makes the videos for 2 or 3 of of the other singles in iconic American cities and have the band endlessly talk about their love for all things American. Mmm the transformation of a new-wave influnced European band into a roots influenced American rock band. What sticks in my throat about U2 is their guile in trying to market their music as authentic. Pah. Even now their continued existence only seems to be for commercial reasons as Bono and the buys vie for the status of some of the richest and most powerful people in Ireland. Their last album was truly awful, Bono's voice isn't much more than a reedy whimper unable to hit the high notes and their live shows have grossly crossed the line into political agitprop. After hearing the latest live versions of REM's new album in the making I would be very surprised if U2 can make a similar rebound from the worst album of their career.

Their first love song was on Joshua Tree?

It certainly wasn't their first album that showed a deep fascination with America.

Unless you consider "Two Hearts" as a formulaic love song. "Boy" was about innocence, "October" mainly deal with faith, "War" was about War, "The Unforgettable Fire" had a couple of songs about America. I bet that the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum era U2 had as many stylists and marketing people involved as say, Madonna at the end of the eighties.

Ah, but what and whose war? It's not just about Ireland.

Seconds seems like it's largely about America. The Refugee also. How about Red Light as a cheesy love song? The Unforgettable Fire--love song.

I'm sure there were a lot of handlers, etc. during the Joshua Tree era. I'm not sure which came first-- huge success or the handlers.

With or Without You is a great song--one of my favorites of theirs. It'd be a shame if it weren't a single.

Tracklist:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name

2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

3. With Or Without You

4. Bullet The Blue Sky

5. Running To Stand Still

6. Red Hill Mining Town

7. In God's Country

8. Trip Through Your Wires

9. One Tree Hill

10. Exit

11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Disc: 2

1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)

2. Walk To The Water

3. Spanish Eyes

4. Silver And Gold

5. Sweetest Thing

6. Deep In The Heart

7. Race Against Time

8. Where The Streets Have No Name (Single edit)

9. Silver And Gold (Sun City)

10. Beautiful Ghost

11. Introduction to Songs of Experience

12. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)

13. Desert Of Our Love

14. Rise Up

15. Drunk Chicken

16. America

This tour was my first big concert.

And I would be curious to hear the extra stuff.

Disc: 2

1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)

2. Walk To The Water

3. Spanish Eyes

4. Silver And Gold

5. Sweetest Thing

6. Deep In The Heart of Texas

7. Race Against Time

8. Where The Streets Have No Name (Single edit)

9. Silver And Gold (Sun City)

10. Beautiful Ghost

11. Introduction to Songs of Experience

12. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)

13. Desert Of Our Love

14. Rise Up

15. Drunk Chicken

16. America

awesome. that'll show that dude.

• 4 weeks later...

promo website

video up at amazon.com

The Joshua Tree 2007

Various formats -

In 2007 The Joshua Tree, remastered, arrives in four different formats including a bonus audio CD of b-sides and rarities, a live concert DVD shot in Paris in 1987 and booklets featuring liner notes from the band and unseen photography from Anton Corbijn. Here

I am looking forward to this reissue. Hopefully, you I will be able to buy the unreleased tracks only on I-Tunes. I think like lots of people I have a love/hate relationship with U2 who were the first live band I saw at 13 on the War Tour. For fun, I looked at youtube clips of the Joshua Tree tour which I never personally witnessed. Talk about love/hate! It's a wonderful album but seeing them on stage makes me want to puke. The Joshua Tree back-drop, the waistcoasts, Western style hats all look so desperately contrived. It's so obvious that after the album was recorded that the band and Paul McGuiness decided that this would be the album that took them to superstar status in the States. Let's see? Release the band's first love song as the first single, makes the videos for 2 or 3 of of the other singles in iconic American cities and have the band endlessly talk about their love for all things American. Mmm the transformation of a new-wave influnced European band into a roots influenced American rock band. What sticks in my throat about U2 is their guile in trying to market their music as authentic. Pah. Even now their continued existence only seems to be for commercial reasons as Bono and the buys vie for the status of some of the richest and most powerful people in Ireland. Their last album was truly awful, Bono's voice isn't much more than a reedy whimper unable to hit the high notes and their live shows have grossly crossed the line into political agitprop. After hearing the latest live versions of REM's new album in the making I would be very surprised if U2 can make a similar rebound from the worst album of their career.

Wow, sounds like you have it all figured out.

Jesus, talk about cynical! Lighten up, it's only rock and roll.

so is any of this b-sides stuff on that whole big box set of everything they released a few years back?

Yes, actually most of the second disc was released with the digital boxed set. There's overlap with the 2-Disc Best of 1980-1990. The new tracks 11-14.

1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love) (Best of & Boxed set)
  2. Walk To The Water (Best of & Boxed set)
  3. Spanish Eyes (Best of & Boxed set)
  4. Silver And Gold (Best of & Boxed set)
  5. Sweetest Thing (Best of & Boxed set)
  6. Deep In The Heart (Boxed set)
  7. Race Against Time (Boxed set)
  8. Where The Streets Have No Name (Single edit) not on Best of or Boxed Set
  9. Silver And Gold (Sun City) only released on the Sun City charity album, if it's the Bono/Keith Richards/Ron Wood version that I think it is.
  10. Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience (Boxed set)
  11. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland) (previously unreleased)
  12. Desert Of Our Love (previously unreleased)
  13. Rise Up (previously unreleased)
  14. Drunk Chicken/America (previously unreleased)

There's a video of Bono explaining the history of Wave of Sorrow here: http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=2166

The rumor on the web is that Drunk Chicken is an instrumental track that was produced to go with a recording of Allen Ginsberg reciting his poem "America"

Best Buy has the 2 discs/1 DVD/book boxed set version on sale Tuesday and Wednesday only for $39.99

So since the b-sides have been released, can ppl comment on them? bad, good or great? JT isnt my fav u2 album, but if all the rarities are good I may have to give in.

Here's my take. Keep in mind I'm a big U2 fan. Many of these are easily forgettable. There was a reason they were cut from the album and only reelased as b-sides. And a reason none are still (if ever) played live.

1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love) (Best of & Boxed set)

2. Walk To The Water (Best of & Boxed set) - the best of the JT b-sides.

3. Spanish Eyes (Best of & Boxed set)

4. Silver And Gold (Best of & Boxed set) - good track. Not as good as either the Rattle and Hum version or the "Sun City" version.

5. Sweetest Thing (Best of & Boxed set) - not much different than the reworked version from the Best of disc. OK, sappy sweet song.

6. Deep In The Heart (Boxed set) - easily forgettable

7. Race Against Time (Boxed set) - Instrumental. Take it or leave it.

8. Where The Streets Have No Name (Single edit) - never heard it, other than "back in the day." my guess is that it's not much differnt than the album version.

9. Silver And Gold (Sun City, Bono/Keith Richards/Ron Wood version) - This track is phenomenal. Raw. If you're a Bono fan, go track this song down NOW.

10. Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience (Boxed set) - mediocre. Atmospheric instrumental with spoken word lyrics.