Guest Hollinger.

I've seen him three times now, it's been an awesome awesome show every time. Definitely puts on one of the better live shows out there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howard, the strangest things

Have happened lately when i

Take a good swing at all my dreams

They pivot and slip

I drop my fists and they're back

Laughing

Howard,

My intention's become

Not to lose what i've won

Ambition has given way to

Desperation and i

Lost the fight for my eyes

Boxing's been good to me, howard

Now i'm told, "you're growing old"

The whole time we knew

A couple of years i'd be through

Has boxing been good to you?

Howard, now i confess

I'm scared and lonely and tired

They seem to think i'm made of clay

Another day

I'm not cut out for this

I just know what to say

I say

Well sometimes i punch myself

Hard as i can, yelling

"nobody cares"

Hoping some one will tell me

How wrong i am

Howard,

Boxing's been good to me howard

Now i'm told

"you're growing old"

The whole time you knew

A couple of years

I'd be through

Has boxing been good. . .

Has boxing been good. . .

Has boxing been good?

Love this song. Written as a letter from Muhammad Ali to Howard Cosell. Ben is the man!

I've seen him six times and they've all been pretty good.

The best by far was seeing him solo at Mississippi Nights (RIP).

Mississippi Nights is GONE?

damn.

Saw some great shows there: X, Jonathan Richman, Television...

(I went to Mizzou for a few years in the late 80's, early 90's)

New album is called "Way To Normal."

Here is the Paste article with details and a little interview. One of the songs features a duet with Regina Spektor.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008...lease-date.html

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard about this.

I've been a Ben Folds fan since the first BFF album. I saw "The Five" at the Vogue in Indy. Great show. Then saw them again during the Reinhold Messner era at the IU auditorium. Horrible show. The third time was solo Ben back at the Vogue supporting Rockin' the Suburbs.

I recommend as a primer, "Whatever and Ever Amen" for BFF and "Rockin' the Suburbs" for Ben solo. but you can't go wrong with the self titled "Ben Folds Filve" album. Fantastic. And of course there's the Ben Fold Live album which will give you a taste of lots of stuff, even some pre-BFF songs.

My first purchase was the second BFF album when it was released in 1997. I liked it then. I also purchased the foolow up in 1999. I found it good, too. And after a while, I thought both weren't that good. And I rather think Ben Folds is overrated actually.

At least, Ron Sexsmith is far better, as well as Rufus Wainwright, Josh Rouse, Joe Pisapia, Jeff Tweedy...

My wife and I were at the solo Ben Folds show at the 930 Club when he was recording Ben Folds Live. I think at least one or two songs from that show made the CD. Those solo shows were a lot fun and very interactive. Since then it's been great to see him with a band again, although I wish he would play places like the 930 Club. We've seen him most recently at Wolf Trap (an outdoor shed, but a good one) and in Baltimore with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. The Wolf Trap shows are good, but the club shows are better. Of course, it was at one of his Wolf Trap shows that we stuck around to see Rufus Wainwright. I had never really listened to Rufus, but his show completely won me over. Now I'm a fan of all the Wainwright siblings!

I saw him open up for John Mayer last year in Des Moines (I was there primarily for Folds, my wife 50/50 Folds and Mayer). He put on a great show,

to a song he made up based on a flier he was handed while walking in downtown DM.

My wife just brought this one to my attention, too. Pretty funny.

• 4 weeks later...

Official new album release date Sept 30th.

http://www.benfolds.com/

You can hear ""Hiroshima (B B B Benny Hit His Head)" on his facebook page or on imeem.

Hum........................not much there. I'm hoping the rest of the tracks are better.

Way to Normal

1. Hiroshima (B B B Benny Hits His Head)

2. Dr. Yang

3. The Frown

4. You Don't Know Me (featuring Regina Spektor)

5. Before Cologne

6. Cologne

7. Errant Dog

8. Free Coffee

9. Bitch Went Nuts

10. Brainwascht

11. Effington

12. Kylie from Connecticut

Waytonormal.jpg

Unfortunately, that's the real studio track. He recorded crowd noises and sounds at shows in the spring and used them on the recording.

That is unfortunate. I hear in there a good track that could be pretty cool, but I think it may suffer from the Jay Bennett syndrome.

After only one listen I actually like the Hiroshima song, but I can definitely understand people's criticisms. I found Songs for Silverman kind of boring and at least Hiroshima isn't boring. Maybe he's broken out of his malaise.

From the songs I have heard so far, I think this might be a concept album based on the life of a touring rock star. I may be wrong, I have been in the past.

Didn't he already try a concept album once? "The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner" had a psuedo concept album kind of feel to it. In mu opinion, it failed miserably.

I found Songs for Silverman kind of boring and at least Hiroshima isn't boring.

I agree about "Songs for Silverman". I'll likely buy this album, but won't be expecting a lot from it. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Anyone have copies of the recently leaked tracks?I'd love to hear the rest.

EDIT: Ben posted "Bitch Went Nutz" on his Myspace page. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendid=9158119

Uhhhh...................ok.