• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should probably write that priest dude a strongly-worded letter outlining your concerns. Be sure to refer to the foundation of his religion as "Sky God" or whatever other condescending term you can come up with. That will ensure that he takes your arguments seriously.

edit, this is not to gogo, obviously, despite my inclusion of "condescending."

I agree with your suspicion on the timing. Was the school not aware of the content of the books previously?

I am purely speculating, but I would imagine someone with authority within the school was aware of the books existence.

You should probably write that priest dude a strongly-worded letter outlining your concerns. Be sure to refer to the foundation of his religion as "Sky God" or whatever other condescending term you can come up with. That will ensure that he takes your arguments seriously.

edit, this is not to gogo, obviously, despite my inclusion of "condescending."

That

There is currently a case going on in the capitol of the state I live in to ban Pat Conroy's "The Prince of Tides" and "Beach Music." I don't believe in banning books. This is nothing new - church groups and other such groups have been doing that sort of thing for years. And as I said earlier - stating that one of the characters in the book is gay will just give those sort of folks more reasons to suppress the books.

There is currently a case going on in the capitol of the state I live in to ban Pat Conroy's "The Prince of Tides" and "Beach Music." I don't believe in banning books. This is nothing new - church groups and other such groups have been doing that sort of thing for years. And as I said earlier - stating that one of the characters in the book is gay will just give those sort of folks more reasons to suppress the books.

On what basis are they attempting to ban the books, A-man?

Kanawha County Students Speak Out Against Possible Book Ban

Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 ; 10:21 PM

Updated Tuesday, October 16, 2007 ; 12:09 AM

The books in question are Pat Conroy's "The Prince of Tides" and "Beach Music."

Story by Kristen Sell

Email | Bio | Other Stories by Kristen Sell

CHARLESTON -- Some high school kids in Kanawha County are getting passionate about reading. The only problem is, they could be stopped from talking about the books in the classroom.

Inside Nitro High School, the two books in question have already been suspended.

That after a few parents complained about the content in both "The Prince of Tides" and "Beach Music," both by Pat Conroy.

"We feel our rights are being encroached upon because we want to read these books," said Justin Fletcher, a Nitro High School senior.

According to Nitro High School AP literature teacher, Steve Shamblin, two parents of kids in his classes complained about the content in "The Prince of Tides" and "Beach Music."

"The main problem that I am hearing is the violence that occurs in 'Beach Music' dealing with the issues of the Holocaust and in with 'Prince of Tides' it's dealing a lot with the four pages of the rape scene," said George Washington High School Senior Ian Hedges.

Now, they can't even discuss it.

"It's not banned but it's suspended [at Nitro High School]. We cannot talk about it or test on it in the classroom," said Fletcher.

The kids are outraged. While they agree the controversial scenes in both books are graphic, without them, the books would lose their messages.

"Conroy weaves in these books many themes. Social justices as well as injustices that these kids will meet in life's highway," Shamblin said.

The goal now is to prove to the Kanawha County School Board these books are beneficial. For Shamblin, seeing the kids so passionate means everything.

"It should send a message really that we have students protesting to read a 700 or 800 page book when parents complain they can't get their kids to do anything," he said.

Parents already noticed.

"It says a lot about our children today that they are willing to stand up for what they believe in and speak out," said Deidra Fletcher.

The students will attend Wednesday's Board of Education meeting with books in hand in an attempt to convince the board to keep them as part of the AP and honors English cirriculum.

They say board members will vote whether o ban them from all Kanawha County classrooms.

It's that kind of irrational generalization that's behind book bannings.

Apologies to my Catholic friends, but I'm with the dirt worshipper on this one. That celibacy rule seems to twist too many minds.

I don't know whether Chronicles of Narnia is now, or ever has been, in the library at that school, and neither do you. I would imagine that its pseudo-Christian imagery might give it a pass if it was. I don't know. It wasn't part of the story I read about the school removing the Harry Potter series from its shelves. As for it being done after Dumbledore was "outed" by the author, I don't know. Maybe it played a role, maybe it didn't. Maybe one of the parents finally sat down to read one of his kids' books, and decided she didn't like the content, and complained to the staff.

As I said, either way, it's a private school, and they can put whatever they want to on their shelves. Parents will, or won't, pay to send their kids there. If you want to make this out to be an indictment of a group of people other than the small number who decided to take the books out of the library, you aren't taking me with you. Bottom line for me is, I don't care why the books are gone. The priest invited the kids to read the series anywhere they want to, but they're not going to find it in the school library. Sounds like he's really terrified of the books.