I have never read a harry potter book or seen a harry potter movie, but there was an interesting (and long) profile in the Aug 27, 2007 edition of The New Yorker on Sir Ian McKellen. He is gay and out of the closet. In real life, I mean.

The New Yorker doesnt reproduce all of its articles online. You have to buy it if you want to read it, otherwise I'd post it (or suggest interested parties check it out). Is this all a big coincidence?

That's all well and good, but Ian McKellen played Gandalf, while Richard Harris and Michael Gambon have played Dumbledore. :lol

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His sexual orientation was likely part of his character bio--the groundwork Rowling laid for each of the characters before writing the first book of the series. It's just part of who he was, and the fact that it never factored into any of the books in an overt way doesn't make it any less true. Every character has a rich background--the surface of which isn't even scratched in the actual work. So for her to acknowledge, after the fact, that he was gay just means that it somehow came up--maybe as suggested by the above post. She knows her characters in ways even the most impressive student of the series never will.

That was my thought exactly. This is a pretty common thing that writers do. Without all that background, it's difficult to create characters that have some depth.

Funny, when I read the Potter books, I pretty much picture McKellen-as-Gandalf as Dumbledore.

Me too. I was actually surprised that McKellen wasn't cast as Dumbledore when Richard Harris died.

I'm about halfway through the last book, so now I'm going to have the gay stuff in my mind through the rest of the book. Not that the news surprised me. I mean, the man wore purple robes ...

I'm with beltmann/happeningstone on this one. I never really considered Dumbledore's sexuality, but it doesn't particularly surprise me, and it makes sense that JKR would have his whole backstory in her head while writing these books.

there would be no reason to mention Dumbledore's orientation before the seventh book because that's where his relationship with Grindelwald is revealed (along with practically everything else about D's background). it's very clear the two are taken with each other whether or not it extended into sexual relations. so there was a three month gap between the last book and Rowling's answer. maybe Rowling wanted enough time for people to read and digest the end of the series, or maybe this was the first time since she was asked a straightforward question about Dumbledore's romantic life.

edit: i'm going to get some fresh air now that i've thoughtfully considered a children's book wizard's sex life.

Oh, and I also agree with this post, particularly the part about now needing some fresh air.

Funny, when I read the Potter books, I pretty much picture McKellen-as-Gandalf as Dumbledore.

Yeah, me too. When I surf onto one of the films on cable, I usually have that "oh yeah" moment when I realize that it's not McKellen.

I prefer Gambon to Harris (RIP). He's got a more powerful voice, which is an asset for that character.

Yeah, Gambon brings this energy that Harris lacked (probably due to age, can't blame him).

But I still think of McKellen/Gandalf when I read Dumbledore passages.

I'm pretty sure the reason why McKellen didn't take the role when Harris died was because he didn't want to pigeonhole himself into the kind of "super-wizard" niche that playing both Dumbledore and Gandalf would have done.

Yeah, Gambon brings this energy that Harris lacked (probably due to age, can't blame him).

Yup, I don't mean to rip on Harris in any way ... I liked his interpretation, but he just didn't seem to have the vocal ability any longer to carry off a serious, ass-whupping wizard character like Dumbledore.

Yup, I don't mean to rip on Harris in any way ... I liked his interpretation, but he just didn't seem to have the vocal ability any longer to carry off a serious, ass-whupping wizard character like Dumbledore.

Well, I think Harris pulled off the "sagely wizard" role better than Gambon, but it really fitted those two books only because by the time that Gambon took over Dumbledore took a more active role in Harry's education.