Recommend a scary movie!

I am supposed to pick a horror movie to watch with my significant other tomorrow night. Recommend us something scarrrry!

(Saw, Saw II, Saw III, Saw XVII need not apply...)

(Tips: Arty-farty, foreign, classic, or cult would be the way to go here. Maybe I should have said recommend a scarrrrry "film!" :D )

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite scary movie of all-time is Rosemary's Baby, mostly because it plays out its premise--a pregnant woman is losing her mind, or maybe she really is carrying Satan's child?--as credible, creepy drama. It really got under my skin.

My favorite scary movie of all-time is Rosemary's Baby, mostly because it plays out its premise--a pregnant woman is losing her mind, or maybe she really is carrying Satan's child?--as credible, creepy drama. It really got under my skin.

I've got that on VHS and have enjoyed it many times. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have you in mind when I started this thread. :blush

What else you got to recommend?

Maybe it's just me, and I haven't seen this film in several years, but I still get the creeps when I think about Jacob's Ladder.

I'm not even sure that one was supposed to be all that scary, but it sure worked for me.

What else you got to recommend?

Besides Rosemary's Baby, and leaving off well-known stuff like Alien or Jaws, I like all of these a whole lot: Funny Games, Peeping Tom, Dead-Alive (aka Braindead), The Descent, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Tenant, Carnival of Souls (1962), The Vanishing (1988), Little Otik, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Devil's Backbone, Freaks (1932), Eyes Without a Face, The Innocents (1961), Bunman: The Untold Story, Repulsion, Dark Water (2005), Re-Animator, The Uninvited (1944), Dead Ringers, Suspiria, The Bad Seed, Memento Mori... I guess I could go on and on.

If you're looking for weird recent movies of dubious quality but loads of fun anyway, there are limitless possibilities. I have a soft spot for Save the Green Planet! and The Eye 2, although I've never met anybody else who likes the latter. And there's always Takashi Miike.

You could try:

The Standards

The Exorcist

The Shining

Some Hitchcock - although does suspense necessarily equal scary in the Halloween sense?

Psycho

Rear Window

Rebecca

The Birds

The Roger Corman/Vincent Price adaptations of Poe

The Fall of the House of Usher

The Pit and the Pendulum

Tales of Terror

The Raven

The Masque of the Red Death

I'm going with these:

Kwaidan because I really enjoyed Harikiri.

The Tenant because I really enjoyed Rosemary's Baby.

and The Devil's Backbone because I enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth.

Thank you, VC geniuses of film! :thumbup

You could try:The StandardsThe ExorcistThe ShiningSome Hitchcock - although does suspense necessarily equal scary in the Halloween sense?PsychoRear WindowRebeccaThe BirdsThe Roger Corman/Vincent Price adaptations of PoeThe Fall of the House of UsherThe Pit and the PendulumTales of TerrorThe Raven The Masque of the Red Death
I've seen nearly all of those! VC has the best taste! We all rule so much! :wub
Maybe it's just me, and I haven't seen this film in several years, but I still get the creeps when I think about Jacob's Ladder.

I'm not even sure that one was supposed to be all that scary, but it sure worked for me.

Awesome, freaky movie.. I remember I figured out the ending halfway through the movie though and that kind of spoiled it, but it still scared the crap out of me.

Eraserhead

The Others

Gothic

You need to watch "Blood Sucking Freaks" it is the greatest worst movie of all time. The scene where the midget takes the severed head, drills a hole in it and then has sex with the hole is the biggest Oscar snub in the history of the Academy awards.

But if midget/necrophilia isn't the taste of your significant other, The Shining is one of the scariest movies of all time. Either that or anything where you hear a kids voice singing AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Those freaking kids just creep me out.

Freaks (1932)

Starring actual circus sideshow performers. Ever wonder where The Ramones got "Gabba Gabba Hey!" Watch the movie. Genuinely creepy.