Recommend a scary movie!

One of the creepiest movies I've ever seen is Ju-on - the original, not the remake with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

none of the remakes are as good as the orignal J-Horror versions. I saw a trailer for the remake of, "One Missed Call", and it looks like a total crapper.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it had that effect on me - I think I saw it at the theater.

It was late night and I was home alone watching Communion, didn't know what it was about. I just watched it because Christopher Walken was in it.

When I first saw that alien head poke out of the dresser thing, it freaked me out. Then I was sucked in.

What's the Hammer film (I think it was a Hammer film) where there is a UFO buried underground with aliens in it or some such thing? That one use to scare me when I was a kid. And also - Attack of the Mushroom People.

I watched Suspiria the other night. The use of color and music in that one is really great: really sets the tone for the whole film. Argento's Deep Red is also quite good.

Here's some other horror/thriller favorites:

Don't Look Now

Rosemary's Baby

The Tenant

Repulsion

Carnival of Souls

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Peeping Tom

Nosferatu

Les Diaboliques

Les Yeux Sans Visage

Dawn of the Dead

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Black Sunday

The Exorcist

Kwaidan

Halloween

The Haunting

Near Dark

Onibaba

Jigoku

The Vanishing...

I wish I could watch them all again over Halloween, but I guess I'll have to settle for 1 or 2 for now.

I'm partial to both of John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness and The Thing. I like The Thing more, but I always appreciate it better when it's cold out (actually it's rather nice today, sunny and relatively warm). Of course the DVD for The Thing is loaded with extras too, but that's not really important tonight. Prince of Darkness also has Alice Cooper in it, so there's that.

Myself I'm sticking to some gorefest zombie flicks tonight: Dawn of the Dead (the remake), and 28 Days Later. Though if my girlfriend starts getting too freaked out I might just put on the Halloween episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for her. :pirate

I liked Prince of Darkness. I prefer Satan-themed horror to zombie or psycho-themed any day.

The Prophecy

I don't know why...but I really kinda like this one.

featuring the greats...Christopher Walken, Elias Koteas, Viggo Moretnsen, Virginia Madsen...

I am fond of Hammer horror movies, and ones with Vincent Price in them.