Green Day listens to Wilco

When I was a teen, I LOVED Greenday.. But when they came out with their new record, nothing had changed about them.. They were still that cheesy "teenie bopper pop rock".. So I guess I outgrew them.. Kind of makes me feel old..

Green Day has changed a lot since they started.

American Idiot does have a lot more substance, both lyrically and musically than most of their past records. The only thing that sounds the same is Billy Joe's voice; I can understand how a lot of people have a hard time getting past that.

I used to love Green Day when Dookie came out, then I sort of forgot about them. I think American Idiot is their masterpiece. The radio over-played the shit out of it and I can't listen to it anymore, but when it first came out I was just amazed.

I have nothing against Green Day at all... Very influential rock band... I mean, yeah, I guess they did change some on the latest record.. The music did get a little more mature, but it's still that poppy power punk sound that I guess I outgrew.. So in other words, Greenday got better, but the genra stayed the same.. But your right PopTodd, it probably does have a lot to do with Billy Joe's voice..

I guess I'm one of the few who lost interest after Dookie, as soon as they started taking themselves so damn seriously. Give me Kerplunk any day. That's one of the best pop punk records ever.

Kerplunk and 39/Smooth (and the 3 early 7"s) are all awesome. I think I'm going to listen to "Going to Pasalacqua" now, in fact.

Guest David Puddy
I guess I'm one of the few who lost interest after Dookie, as soon as they started taking themselves so damn seriously. Give me Kerplunk any day. That's one of the best pop punk records ever.

well said.

once i heard that "hitchin' a ride" garbage, i was done with green day, but very fond memories of kerplunk and dookie.

Is it time to start appreciating Pinhead Gunpowder too?

LOVE Jump Salty. Their cover of Big Yellow Taxi rules. It stomps all over that shitty Counting Crows one.

MPLS Song is my favorite PG song I think. It made its way onto almost every mix tape for a few years.

LOVE Jump Salty. Their cover of Big Yellow Taxi rules. It stomps all over that shitty Counting Crows one.

MPLS Song is my favorite PG song I think.

I loved them when Mike from Fuel was in the band as the other singer/guitarist (Jump Salty era). "MPLS Song" is the one that starts out with "Iggy Pop is playing downtown", right? That one is great (and quintessential Cometbus), but I don't know if I like it more than "Losers of the Year". The Cheap Trick sample gets me every time.

Goodbye Ellston Ave. is an ok album, with two insanely great songs ("Life During Wartime" and a cool Phil Ochs cover) and a bunch of filler.

"MPLS Song" is the one that starts out with "Iggy Pop is playing downtown", right? That one is great (and quintessential Cometbus), but I don't know if I like it more than "Losers of the Year". The Cheap Trick sample gets me every time.

Goodbye Ellston Ave. is an ok album, with two insanely great songs ("Life During Wartime" and a cool Phil Ochs cover) and a bunch of filler.

Yup, that's the song. The "Losers Of The Year" is great too. How about their cover of "Mahogany"? Freakin' awesome.

I haven't listened to them much since Dookie. The songs I heard from American Idiot didn't sound all that inspired or original, just some banal observations about the current situation in America with a slick pop rock backing. I still can't figure out what all the hype was about.

I haven't listened to them much since Dookie. The songs I heard from American Idiot didn't sound all that inspired or original, just some banal observations about the current situation in America with a slick pop rock backing. I still can't figure out what all the hype was about.

Yeah, well put.

it was all about billie joe in eyeliner.

Q4T