Green Day listens to Wilco

American Idiot does have a lot more substance, both lyrically and musically than most of their past records. The only thing that sounds the same is Billy Joe's voice; I can understand how a lot of people have a hard time getting past that.

You know I like some of the Green Day stuff, they actually put on a really good live show. The one thing that kind of irks me though, the song American Idiot is supposed to be this anti-war anthem yet it was on the Madden NFL video game. There was another song off that album, I believe Holiday, that is also supposed to be an anti-war song, yet it was on a cell phone commercial. It is just seemed kind of hippocritical to me.

I dug Dookie a lot when I was thirteen and then I bought Insomniac but I don't think I listened to that one much. My little brother and I would break out spoons, pots and pans and have "drum" sessions watching the "Basket Case" video on VHS. Good times.

I dug Dookie a lot when I was thirteen and then I bought Insomniac but I don't think I listened to that one much. My little brother and I would break out spoons, pots and pans and have "drum" sessions watching the "Basket Case" video on VHS. Good times.

That brings back memories.. I used to do something similar with my friend when I was 14.. I would play my dads guitar and he would play a cheap starter drum set to that video.. Good times indeed...

• 1 year later...
We need music, and we need it good.

oh the irony.

You know I like some of the Green Day stuff, they actually put on a really good live show. The one thing that kind of irks me though, the song American Idiot is supposed to be this anti-war anthem yet it was on the Madden NFL video game. There was another song off that album, I believe Holiday, that is also supposed to be an anti-war song, yet it was on a cell phone commercial. It is just seemed kind of hippocritical to me.

that's because they're full of shit. obviously.

he can preach about how evil bush was, etc etc etc. but the american idiot tag stray far from the guy who wrote the song.

I too, like some of the other old timers in this thread miss the good ol' days pre-stardom. I saw them here in Louisville in a punk club in '92 and it was great. My favorite is probably "2,000 Light Years Away." I had a copy of that Sweet Children 7" from way back and I sold it to a fan who just discovered them during Dookie for a small fortune. It's probably worth 10 times that by now.

i also loved Dookie when it came out after hearing Longview on the radio. then i forgot about them until Time of your life hit the charts. i assume i'm the only person here that loves that tune?

it's a classic, especially cause i loved it back in the day when i was real young. but mainly i just love it cause it's the song during the montage at the end of the 2nd seinfeld clip show.

I saw Green Day back in 99 and 2000...just a few months ago an opportunity presented itself for me to see them in a tiny club and I went for it. So me and 1400 others packed in to see them at Webster Hall in NYC. I was very nastolgic. They sounded good and polished. Surely it is not the same band. Two times during the night they took request. One was for "80" from Kerplunk and the other was for "At The Library" from 1039 Solid request and Green Day just started playing them on the spot. The songs were rusty sounding and they were the highlights of the night! Even though I don't care too much for Green Day past 2000 it was a fun night and a great expierence to see this arena selling band in a small club remeniscent of the older days! :cheers

Green Day is my 10-year-old's favorite band.

I think that says a little something about both parties, to tell you the truth.

Still, he has Bullet In a Bible (the live album) and I gotta say that it's a helluva live album.

EDIT: I played my son a few songs off of Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady.

His response?

"Oh my God! Green Day TOTALLY want to be The Buzzcocks! Billie Joe even sings kinda like them.

They're still my favorite band, though."

Green Day is my 10-year-old's favorite band.

I think that says a little something about both parties, to tell you the truth.

Still, he has Bullet In a Bible (the live album) and I gotta say that it's a helluva live album.

EDIT: I played my son a few songs off of Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady.

His response?

"Oh my God! Green Day TOTALLY want to be The Buzzcocks! Billie Joe even sings kinda like them.

They're still my favorite band, though."

Now you've created an itch that I must satiate by finding Singles Going Steady, somewhere in the mess I call a collection of CDs.

/attempts to steer thread into Buzzcocks territory