Eddie Vedder "Into the Wild" Soundtrack

This post comes from someone who has never bought a Pearl Jam album and who, for a long part of the nineties, almost had an active dislike of their sound.

This soundtrack is brilliant. I saw the movie about three weeks ago which I loved. A large part of the experience was Eddie Vedder's evocative and very complementary songs.

So I shelled out the bucks last weekend for the CD and a week later I can't stop playing it. He's done an amazing job with both the words and music in terms of making them fit in with the spirit of the film and the story of the young man in the film. Most songs have relatively sparse arrangements while remaining very melodic.

One warning for those of you who like their CD's jammed with filler, it clocks in at a mean 33.5 minutes.

(I also just got Grizzly Bear's "Yellow House" which is great.)

i think it's pretty cool too, and while i'm a huge PJ fan, i've always been pretty critical of Ed's musicianship when he's going it alone, but this is nice.

i love the instrumentation on it, they need to use more stuff like that on the next PJ record. i'm kinda tired of them feeling like they need to fit into the classic/hard rock/punk mold again. we need another No Code :).

my favorite 2 songs on the soundtrack though are both covers (Hard Sun and Society)

as for it being short, yeah for sure, but it's all written for the movie, not truly a solo record

I enjoyed Eddie's crooning in the movie. I was less than thrilled to hear him crooning for Walmart, however. Weird.

edit: hold the presses. I been schooled by my beloved. It's apparently a dude named Jake Smith aka The White Buffalo.

Phew. As you were.

PJ is and has always been my #1 since I saw them in 92' at Lollapolooza 2 in Chicago after Ten came out..........I have always been a critic of their music owning so many of their bootlegs.....all of their albums....and seeing them 10 times live........I will say this solo album is better than the band's last three studio albums(Binuaral....Riot Act.......Pearl Jam) imo..........it is absolutely amazing........Eddie V should do more of this.........when he wrote the song for Big Fish(Man of the Hour) and songs for this........it really shows his ability to feel the movie's vibe and what the story is about and make a song lyrically for it.....brilliant movie/story........even better soundtrack.

I love pearl jam. Probably my favorite band so i got the soundtrack before i had a chance to see the movie. the songs on their own to me were just okay. I saw the movie over the weekend and they work very well in the movie.

I actually like the songs more now that i've seen the movie.

• 1 month later...
Guest David Puddy
my favorite 2 songs on the soundtrack though are both covers (Hard Sun and Society)

big ups for cover songs. both those songs stand out on this album, which is incredible. Far Behind is also great.

i should be shot for not yet seeing this movie since i've been saying for years that Into the Wild is my favorite book, but hearing this soundtrack for the first time tonight, i'm kicking myself for not seeing this in the theater.

i'm digging the shit out of this.

I'm fairly certain Santa has this for my son who is a big PJ fan. I'm looking forward to hearing this on the stereo Xmas day myself.

I really thought the Vedder soundtrack detracted from the movie. I felt it would have been more powerful as instrumentation only soundtrack. Not sure why Penn chose to include more than one montage either. Seemed like some weird decisions for an otherwise great movie.

I really thought the Vedder soundtrack detracted from the movie. I felt it would have been more powerful as instrumentation only soundtrack.

Couldn't agree more, although I don't like Pearl Jam and I dont know if I was biased going in. I definitely thought Vedder (and his voice) became the focus of scenes when the landscape or something else should have been.

I really thought the Vedder soundtrack detracted from the movie. I felt it would have been more powerful as instrumentation only soundtrack. Not sure why Penn chose to include more than one montage either. Seemed like some weird decisions for an otherwise great movie.

I kind of felt that way, too--although not to such a degree that I was bothered much by it.

• 2 weeks later...
Vedder Shoots Video For 'Guaranteed'

Sean Penn and Eddie Vedder

January 03, 2008, 11:00 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder recently shot a video for "Guaranteed," his Golden Globe- and Grammy-nominated song from the Sean Penn-directed film "Into the Wild." The clip, directed by Marc Rocco, will premiere Jan. 7 at 6 a.m. ET on VH1 and VH1.com.

Rocco shot the video on 35 mm film in just three hours, and intersperse clips from "Into the Wild" with Vedder performing the acoustic track. It's Vedder's first appearance as a solo artist in a music video.

"It has been a privilege and honor to collaborate with Eddie in a medium that he so rarely visits," says Rocco, who directed 1995's "Murder in the First" and wrote the 2005 film "The Jacket." "I hope that I've portrayed visually the song 'Guaranteed' in a way that leaves the viewer as emotionally moved as I was the first time I heard Eddie's music for 'Into the Wild.'"

As previously reported, "Guaranteed" is nominated for the best original song Golden Globe and the Grammy for best song written for a motion picture

• 1 month later...
I love this. Plus Eddie is doing a West Coast tour in April. I think I might go.

It's a "West Coast Tour" that COMPLETELY skips Washington and Oregon...as a Seattlite- I feel slighted.

Apr 02 Vancouver, BC The Centre

Apr 05 Santa Cruz, CA SC Civic Auditorium

Apr 07 Berkeley, CA Zellerbach Theatre

Apr 10 Santa Barb, CA Arlington Theatre

Apr 12 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre

Apr 13 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre

Apr 15 San Diego, CA Spreckels Theater

*Loved the soundtrack and I was shocked as shit that he didn't get an Oscar nod for Guaranteed. Shocked.