It is Election Day in the U.S. of A.

People died, many quite horribly, so we could go out and have a say in who governs us. And before you start, please stow all the cynicism and pouty "I'm not going to participate because my guy/party/political philosophy never wins" hooey. While it is frayed around the edges and has never fully attained its ideal, our Republic's quasi-democracy is a lot better than a lot of countries' non-quasi dictatorships. Thanks.

I've never missed one in over 25 years. I know the saying has been beaten to death , but I'll say it anyway: if you don't vote I don't wanna hear your whinin' later.

Thanks for the remind. I've got my card on the kitchen counter now.

Our local news has not taught me squat about local candidates, which hacks me off.

Guess I'll have to break a habit tomorrow and get on the internet at work.

I'm not sure if this is nationwide or not, but I get fairly ticked at the "voter ID" requirement here in Indiana. From what I've heard the ACLU is looking into this here. I have a driver's license so I've never had to go get a voter ID to vote, but wouldn't they have to be free? Even if they were just a buck that would seem to become perilously close to a poll tax imo.

From what I understand it has to do with the fact that in the olden days November was the best month to have a lot of people vote due to farming demands and Tuesday has something to do with people having to travel a long ways to be able to vote and by having it on Tuesday they would be able to wait until after Sunday to leave. I'm assuming this is supposed to allude the fact that Sunday is the sabbath in the Christian religion. As for the first Tuesday I don't have an answer for that. I shall Google it.

Edit* Google says it is the first Tuesday because business people of the period would normally do their books on the 1st of the month so lawmakers didn't want the Tuesday to fall on the 1st of the month. I also saw a reason saying that is because November 1st is All Saints Day in the Catholic religion, so that may have something to do with it.

No. No penalties for not voting.

It should be a national holiday though. Seriously, it's so dumb that it isn't.

If folks didn't have to try and fit in going to the polls with work wouldn't it follow that turnout would increase? As long as you keep alcohol sales banned until the polls close.

Done and done.

And for what it's worth, the little old ladies at the firehouse where I vote brought in homemade biscuits and preserves.

I mean, man...talk about an incentive on a cold wet morning!

(Now that I think about it, it has rained the morning of the last three elections I have voted in...probably not a good omen for my candidate).

Ok, I'm new to VC. Could someone explain why a thread like the NFL discussion gets "locked"? Perhaps a moderator here is a professional football expert, and decided that there were no longer any valid points being argued? My "vote" (since I stuck my gripe in this thread) is for a board that does not end discussion in the middle of the season.

Ok, I'm new to VC. Could someone explain why a thread like the NFL discussion gets "locked"? Perhaps a moderator here is a professional football expert, and decided that there were no longer any valid points being argued? My "vote" (since I stuck my gripe in this thread) is for a board that does not end discussion in the middle of the season.

It's common practice for Mods to lock threads and start new ones as the original thread gets larger in size; (EX. There's usually a new Random Thought Thread weekly, Now Playing Threads are closed monthly, and The Now Watching/Reading Threads are closed as necessary and then resurrected anew.

In the case of the NFL thread you are referring too, a new one was already started as a replacement.

It's here!.

And BTW...you can always "ping" a mod w/ any questions you may have.

If you click on "Your assistant" in the upper right hand side of the page you'll find a link to the moderating staff.

Now, back to our program already in progress

It's OK ... that was my thread, and I was confused too at first, because I didn't see the new thread that had been started in its place.

Non-controversial threads don't usually get locked around here for no good reason. ;)

I'm not sure if this is nationwide or not, .

Amazingly we have no elections here in Chicago at all. (There is however a groundswell to something on the next election to recall state officials since everyone is pissed at our governor.)

LouieB

It's OK ... that was my thread, and I was confused too at first, because I didn't see the new thread that had been started in its place.

Non-controversial threads don't usually get locked around here for no good reason. ;)

Sorry, I usually try to inform the previous thread's owner! Yes, thanks to you folks who offered explanations, as noted above, generally 500+ posts is the cut-off for threads that look like they're going to go on forever. There were several baseball threads throughout the season.

But how could anyone have missed my "We're the 49ers" thread?!?

OK, back on topic: our mayoral election today is pretty much a done deal. The incumbent is a shoo-in, his opponents include several well-meaning people who don't have a hope in hell, and at least one single-issue candidate. That candidate's issue: public nudism.

I would vote anyway, even if there weren't a couple of measures on the ballot that concerned me. It's an incredibly tame election though, especially by San Francisco standards.

OK, back on topic: our mayoral election today is pretty much a done deal. The incumbent is a shoo-in, his opponents include several well-meaning people who don't have a hope in hell, and at least one single-issue candidate. That candidate's issue: public nudism.

Pro or con? That would influence my vote.

:lol Definitely pro.

Here's his candidate statement:

GEORGE DAVIS

My occupation is Writer/Nudist Activist.

My qualifications are:

This is a One Issue campaign which is to Make Golden Gate Park Clothing Optional like the major urban parks in Europe. For other policy issues, a well known City Manager will be appointed.

Thoughts for today:

You are free to be nude!!! You are free to wear clothing. By California case law (In Re Smith 1972 and other court decisions), you have a freedom of choice.

Nude is not lewd.

With San Francisco's ranked three choices, voting for freedom of choice is as easy as one, two, three. Give George Davis a ranked vote, preferably #1.

If anyone should think this is not a serious issue, explain why George Davis has been illegally harassed by the San Francisco Police Department with 4 full arrests (handcuffs, booking, jail) in 5 weeks of campaigning followed almost immediately with a discharge of the citations by the San Francisco District Attorney.

Voters, you have a clear choice. Do you want police harassment of a legitimate non-violent cultural movement and censorship? Or, do you want freedom of choice and civil liberties?

For more details on George Davis and this campaign, visit the blogs at: www.gonakedyoga.com Or contact George at: vote4mayorsf@yahoo.com

George Davis

This year our school district proposed a $119 million school referendum, the largest in Wisconsin history. Yesterday it was rejected by a nearly 2-1 margin.

I live in the most conservative city in the state, so it was always going to be an uphill battle; after all, we weren't just asking for higher taxes, but for money to go to our schools, those evil centers of liberal indoctrination! But budget crunches over the last 20 years have left our school buildings (average age 62 years) in disrepair, energy inefficient, and with literally no room. Some elementary schools are teaching classes in rented trailers, and this will only grow worse. All signs point to major enrollment increases over the next 15 years.

Strange how a prosperous community somehow can't find the resources to educate their own children in, you know, a building.