Paul Weller fans?

I've been a long-time fan of The Jam (ever since I was talked into buying a "Snap!" cassette in 1986, when I was 13 and just starting to get interested in 70's British punk rock; The Jam stopped me from being a Sex Pistols/Buzzcocks/Damned/Clash man and more of a Jam/PiL/Fall/Wire man), but I've ignored Weller's solo stuff and stuff he did with The Style Council (except for a SC "greatest hits" thingie that I bought and promptly sold back to the store). What do y'all think of Weller's solo stuff? I've read a bunch of reviews, and for the most part they're positive, if not glowing. Would "Modern Classics" be a good place to start, or is there a particular album that I should get first? "Wildwood" seems to get tons of positive press. What do y'all think?

Wild Wood is my favorite.

In fact, that period is just about the only period that I listen to from his solo career.

There is also an out-of-print B-Sides collection from those sessions called More Wood that is just about as good as the proper album.

So yeah, start with Wild Wood.

I'm a massive, massive fan.

Wild Wood is, without doubt, his best, most accomplished solo album and one of my all-time favourites.

Then it's hard to pick a really duff one - Stanley Road, Wild Wood, the self-title debut. The early stuff is great and lacks a bit of the "Modfather" polish of his later stuff.

That ain't a bad order, though I'd swap Stanley Road and As Is Now, but mainly becuase I have a huge connection with Stanley Road as it came out during my "mod" days :)

Those live CD's are excellent - Days Of Speed is brilliant and I was gutted not to catch him on that tour :(

The last time I saw him was in Cambridge, but the time before was at Brixton Academy in London and it was, quite possibly, one of the best gigs i've ever been to as he played "In The Crowd" which I never thought I'd hear live. He's dropped into sets quite a bit since then, but that was the first time in ages.

Paul Weller

Wildwood

I would start at the beginning. I loved the self-titled when it came out and listened to it to death. When Wildwood came along I was in heaven. Latter ones haven't grabbed me as much.

Check out Ocean Colour Scene as well. It's basically Paul's backup band. Their output in the mid to late 90's was great. If you can get a hold of the B-sides collection, I recommend that as well.

I have a live album titled Live Wood which is from the awesome tour following Wild wood(his show at the Metro that tour was outstanding). Great stuff as he stretched out those songs live. Not sure if its a ltd release or what. Have not seen it around at all since I got it.

I have a live album titled Live Wood which is from the awesome tour following Wild wood(his show at the Metro that tour was outstanding). Great stuff as he stretched out those songs live. Not sure if its a ltd release or what. Have not seen it around at all since I got it.

I'd actually forgotten about that! Yeah, you can get it as a CD or a DVD of the live performances too.

• 5 months later...

Paul Weller, solo star and former frontman for the Jam and the Style Council, has returned to the spotlight with a lesson for the current crop of Brit-rock whippersnappers. That lesson takes the form of Weller's ninth studio album, the official follow-up to 2005's As Is Now. The new album is called 22 Dreams.

Yep Roc will release 22 Dreams in the U.S. on June 24, while Island will put it out in the UK on June 2. The U.S. version fits the entire double-album length extravaganza on one CD, while in the UK, it will be available as a single CD, a 2xLP vinyl set, and a deluxe 2xCD set.

The deluxe edition features sturdier packaging, a short story by poet Simon Armitage, and a bonus disc of demos, instrumental tracks, and other goodies. One such goodie is the instrumental version of the song "Big Brass Buttons", a collaboration with Bobby Gillespie and Andrew Innes of Primal Scream. (The non-instrumental version is slated for release as a B-side in the future.)

As for the music on 22 Dreams, some of it comes from Weller's whippersnappin' Brit-rock followers, including former Blur guitarist Graham Coxon and Oasis members Noel Gallagher and Gem Archer. In fact, the contribution from the Oasis mates, "Echoes Round the Sun", will be released in the UK May 26 as a double A-side single with "Have You Made up Your Mind".

Until then, Weller has his May full up with UK tour dates.

22 Dreams:

01 Light Nights

02 22 Dreams

03 All I Wanna Do (Is Be With You)

04 Have You Made up Your Mind

05 Empty Ring

06 Invisible

07 Song for Alice

08 Cold Moments

09 The Dark Pages of September Lead to the New Leaves of Spring

10 Black River

11 Why Walk When You Can Run

12 Push It Along

13 A Dream Reprise

14 Echoes Round the Sun

15 One Bright Star

16 Lullaby Fur Kinder

17 Where'er Ye Go

18 God

19 111

20 Sea Spray

21 Night Lights

Bonus disc:

01 22 Dreams [original demo]

02 Rip the Pages Up [previously known as "Better"]

03 Light Nights [original demo]

04 Cold Moments [original demo]

05 Love's Got Me Crazy

06 Invisible (Marco Version)

07 Big Brass Buttons [instrumental]

08 22 Dreams [instrumental]

Been a Jam fan since 1981 and have seen Weller three or four times live. His solo career started strongly and has been somewhat patchy since. It sounds like he is really trying to mix it up on the new record. I totally respect him. He has always followed his own muse and in his contrary nature I find him somewhat similar to Neil Young. My personal faves are : "Paul Weller", "Wild Wood" and "Illumination". I thought the latter album was criminally underrated. The acoustic album "Days Of Speed" is great too. I saw him at the Albert Hall on the "Wild Wood" tour in 1993. One of my top ten gigs of all time. After being written off after the end of the Style Council four years earlier the sense of vindication was so palpable that day as he and his band put on a magic show and had a great time on stage.

"Snap!" cassette

This is the only Snap Cassette I owned in the 80's

61DJZ4Y5RDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:lol

At the majority of concerts I've been to in LA, they play the Jam's "That's Entertainment" over the PA before almost every show I've attended.

I need to explore The Jam and Paul Weller a bit further.

I've been a long-time fan of The Jam (ever since I was talked into buying a "Snap!" cassette in 1986, when I was 13 and just starting to get interested in 70's British punk rock;

I might still have my vinyl copy of Snap somewhere.

But solo Weller is great. My favorite of the bunch is the live "Days of Speed", good stuff.

I heard 3 or 4 songs off this album on the radio the other night and was really impressed. The again I am a huge Weller fan and have been since about 1978/9. Plus he is playing in the tent in Cork over the summer! W00t indeed!

• 4 weeks later...
Wild Wood is, without doubt, his best, most accomplished solo album and one of my all-time favourites.
That's good to know because it is the only solo Weller I own. Someone gave me a free copy with the bonus CD as I recall.

LouieB