No Country for Old Men

Saw this last night and I think I think it's amazing. What I mean is that I was just hypnotized by the movie for two hours and then spent the night thinking about it. All of the acting was certainly top notch. What are people's thoughts of the movie itself and what do people think of the ending?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wanting to see this one.

Loved the Book (although I have heard some say it's not McCarthy's best work).

What are people's thoughts of the movie itself and what do people think of the ending?

If people are going to talk about the ending, it might be a good idea to warn about possible spoilers in the thread subtitle. I don't want this one ruined for me. :thumbup

This is one of my favorites of the year. Javier Bardem was great as the psychotic killer, Brolin was good too. This was a nice return to the film noir elements of Blood Simple.

I'm bustin' for this one. Cormac McCarthy is probably America's greatest living author, and Joel (and Ethan now, too, officially, I guess) Coen is my favourite director. The positive ink is setting me up for a huge disappointment, though. I can just feel it...

I've seen this 3 times this week here in Dallas. That should tell you my opinion of the movie. The Coen's truely are a cut above all other American filmmakers. Fargo is probably my favorite of theirs and this might have surpassed it.

Having read the book I knew the ending and I can't imagine a better way to end the film, this is definitely a movie that needs to be revisited multiple times.

I've seen this 3 times this week here in Dallas. That should tell you my opinion of the movie. The Coen's truely are a cut above all other American filmmakers. Fargo is probably my favorite of theirs and this might have surpassed it.

Having read the book I knew the ending and I can't imagine a better way to end the film, this is definitely a movie that needs to be revisited multiple times.

My initial reaction was that I needed to see it again. Too bad it's $8.50 a ticket!

My initial reaction was that I needed to see it again. Too bad it's $8.50 a ticket!

Yeah, the Magnolia in Dallas is $9.25 for a adult. Two of the times I went to see it were around noon w/ student I.D. so it was pretty cheap. $9.25 is nuts though.

Really wanting to see this one.

Loved the Book (although I have heard some say it's not McCarthy's best work).

it is absolutely not his best work. As i read this, all i could think about was how it could so easily be made into a movie. it was kind of like reading a screenplay.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest David Puddy
The positive ink is setting me up for a huge disappointment, though. I can just feel it...

nope, absolutely not a disappointment. this movie is remarkable. it's beautifully shot and well acted. not surprisingly, it's hilarious too. javier bardem was amazing, brolin, jones, etc too. i was glued to the screen the whole time and loved this movie.

the coen brothers are a cut above the rest as someone previously said. they've made a slew of amazing movies, this being one of the best. see this movie.

Very creative use of an oxygen tank, I have to say. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Milton from Office Space in the movie. Thought he did an excellent job, as did Woody Harrelson, Javier Bardem, really everyone.

Not sure I liked the ending or that certain characters died (I haven't read the book).

Guest Speed Racer

"What a mess..."

"If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gits here."

Tommy Lee Jones' character reminded me a ton of a more jaded Andy Griffith, and Mayberry had just gone apeshit.

I loved it - absolutely loved it. Would see it again in a heartbeat.

Guest Speed Racer

Did anyone else notice that there's almost no score? I think it makes the film so much more suspenseful, and is a testament to how much filmmakers can overuse score to 'create' tension that isn't there. God, that part of the film I loved.

I havent seen this yet, I hope to find the time to do so soon.

I'd like to see Blood Meridian made into a film. It'd take a great director to do so though...Coppala could do it, maybe Peckinpah (not sure if he's still alive though).

Ridley Scott, of BladeRunner and Alien fame, is in preproduction to make Blood Meridian. I can't wait!

"No Country For Old Men" is what action movies should be. It's what horror movies should be. I have never gotten scared by any movie before, this one did it though. I knew what was going to happen the entire time, yet the Cohen brothers were still able to keep me on the edge of my seat. I'm definitely going to see it again soon.

I loved the book and agreed with the comment that it read like a screenplay. I thought the film was tremendous: an excellent adaptation of the book with brilliant acting and a great screenplay. What really struck me was how beautifully it was filmed and it's ability to keep me on the edge of the seat despite knowing what was going to happen. Like another person here I was struck by the lack of music in the which seemed to add to the tension. I have some friends who were a little non-plussed by the ending. The film just ends while the final part of the book really ties up the themes explored in it's pages.

since I realized today that we had only seen one movie in the theatre this year, I decided it was time to go to a movie!

I haven't read the book, nor did I know anything about the movie going into it.......I didn't even realize it was a Coen Bros movie until a few days ago. (I am kind of in the dark regarding movie releases, etc - since we hardly ever go to movies, nor do we watch much TV)

I thought the movie was phenomenal.

I am a pretty literal movie goer - so a lot of times metaphor is lost on me - so, Graham and I had a nice discussion over Taco Bell.

I will definitely see it again, though I will likely have to wait for the DVD.

I have mixed feelings about the Coens

I still believe the run from Blood Simple to The Man Who Wasn't There is quite an achievment, no to say some haven't run off a good number of flicks in a row, but 9, at least for my taste is damn strong. Especially for American Filmmakers

I still believe the run from Blood Simple to The Man Who Wasn't There is quite an achievment, no to say some haven't run off a good number of flicks in a row, but 9, at least for my taste is damn strong. Especially for American Filmmakers

True, not a bad one in that stretch. And yet, for me at least, only three of them are unquestionably great movies: Fargo, Miller's Crossing and The Man Who Wasn't There. I certainly admire the others to varying degrees. (There are only two Coen movies that I actively dislike: Intolerable Cruelty, which just seems ill-conceived, and The Ladykillers, which I think is a total failure.) One thing about the Coens that sometimes troubles me is their readiness to pour on the contempt; often their characters are treated with a prickly mockery and it makes me, as a viewer, uncomfortable. I say this from an awkward vantage point: When I was younger (late teens and early twenties), it was precisely that touch of condescension that I responded to in the Coens' work, especially in Raising Arizona and The Hudsucker Proxy, but I have since grown sensitive to how it exposes a clumsy, hollow strain in their work. Fortunately, No Country for Old Men finds the Coens in a sincere mode and working at the top of their craft--it joins my other favorites as a truly great movie.