hypothetical question

67 members have voted

1. 1. would you go see a jeff tweedyless wilco?

• yes
    • no

Jeff's really the reason why I'm "with the guys", so absolutely positively not.

I like them all for what they bring to the plate, but it just wouldn't be as meaningful for me anymore.

then the circle would have no center.

there is no wilco w/out jeff

and john was only around for anodyne and wouldn't have any claim to any uncle tupelo songs either.

this is a silly topic.

I agree that it's a silly topic, but if you listen to John's podcast, he did sing vocals on an unreleased UT song.

I'm shocked at how many votes "no" is getting. I guess there couldn't really be a "Tweedyless Wilco" but if there were a band that featured John Stirratt, Glen Kotche, Nels Cline, Mikael Jorgenson, and Pat Sansone, I'd definitely go to see them because those guys all rock big time.

I don't know if I would go or not. But it isn't really a testament to Jeff Tweedy more as it is to all singers. Unfortunately, those ego filled sums-a-beeeches are kind of the focal point of the band, even if they don't write the songs. I cannot think of too many bands that have switched singers in mid career and went on to be decent. Off the top of my head, AC/DC, although I have never particularly been a fan, I'd say have done pretty well for themselves. Black Sabbath did ok with Dio but certainly were not the same without Ozzy. Alice in Chains isn't bad without Lane but they haven't made an album with the new singer either. It didn't work for Motley Crue (I don't have a German keyboard so sorry no umlauts), or 10,000 mainiacs. Lynard Skynard maybe? Really, I can't think of any band outside of AC/DC that really did well with a new singer. Can anybody else think of any?

Man, I would DEFINITELY see them. I'm not taking away anything from Jeff, but everyone in Wilco has projects outside of Wilco and they would all be very capable of putting together a good show. Pat, John and Mike are all great singers. Forget the Uncle Tupelo stuff without Jeff...they could play Autumn Defense songs, they could play some stuff from Mike's band Pronto, they could play some rockin' or more experimental instrumentals, or they could play new stuff that they come up with as a group.

They would never stay together without Jeff, but if they did, it would be a band capable of doing some really great stuff.

I voted yes because, while Jeff and John are the only two original members left, without Jeff the other five would still be rockin!

I voted yes because, while Jeff and John are the only two original members left, without Jeff the other five would still be rockin!

Jeff's really the reason why I'm "with the guys", so absolutely positively not.

I like them all for what they bring to the plate, but it just wouldn't be as meaningful for me anymore.

Seconded. Jeff Tweedy is Wilco. At least to me. The others are fantastic, outstanding musicians and people, and I'd go and see a show by them anytime (I've seen an Autumn Defense show in 2004, and it was brilliant), just not as "Wilco", as Wilco w/out Jeff just is the unthinkable. :upset

I'd go, but it wouldn't be Wilco. It would just be another good band.

See my above post. It wouldn't be Wilco anymore, and I wouldn't be able to cope with them playing Wilco songs - but I'd definitely go and see a show by a new band consisting of those amazing musicians. :yes