What are you GIVING for Christmas?

I love finding that perfect gift for someone special. It is so hard to do!

What are you giving this year that you are super excited about? What gifts are you dying to see your loved one open? What about gifts you've given in the past that were huge hits?

So far this year, the one I'm most excited to give is the pair of custom-made, completely white Converse Chuck Taylor lowtops for our friend, Brian. He is graduating from Nursing School this year and he has been looking everywhere for cool shoes he can wear on the job. They don't allow any color on nurses' shoes, even the red stripe on the plain old white Chucks. I found out that I can customize shoes on Converse.com and built him ones with no color. :dancing

EDIT: And if anyone makes a disgusting comment about the subheading of this thread....so help me.... :realmad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago, I bought my parents a brand new Nissan Altima for a Christmas present. I decided to buy them a car anyways because they needed one and it was close to Christmas so I thought I would use Christmas as an excuse. I drove the car to them on Christmas eve and handed them the keys. They didnt believe it, I had to keep saying it was true. My mom cried. Usually I dont make a big deal with gifts but sometimes it makes sense.

This year I am thinking about getting them a snow thrower cause they are getting too old to shovel.

I picked my mom's name in the family Secret Santa, and I'm going nuts. She is IMPOSSIBLE to shop for! Last time I got her, I gave her a suede jacket which was about a gazillion dollars over the limit, but I was pretty sure she would like it. Now, I'd spend another gazillion dollars if I could just come up with one good idea. I'm just glad that Thanksgiving was early this year, it gives me a little more time to come up with something.

Other than that, we did our adopt-a-family shopping the other night, and the kids came along for that for the first time, which was nice.

edit: Huh, reading that post about the car kind of makes me feel cheap for just giving Mom a jacket. :P

the only gift I know of that is being given this year is an iPod for Emily - from my mom. She bought a macbook earlier this year on my student discount and got a free nano with it.....it's a red one, and Emily will freak out.

I think I may do most of my xmas shopping on etsy.com - I like to support artists/crafters - and will likely make a few things myself.

this is the first christmas where i am financially stable enough to truly shop for friends and family and am quite excited. my dad builds miniture/scale model ships, so this year i'm getting him a miniture hand held dremel sander (not to be confused with a dremel tool). i'm getting my mom an FM tuner for her ipod. for my step-mom, nice kitchen knives and a potato peeler (the one she has is from the 1800s or should be).

that's as far as i've gotten, but am quite psyched to go shopping and find the other perfect gifts.

pee, yvette designed me a pair of those chucks for x-mas last year and then changed it to a gift certificate for me to design my own when i saw the 'place order' screen she accidentally had left out on the PC to attend to the kids. they freaking rule.

i'm seriously considering buying yvette two tickets (her and someone of her choosing that isn't me) to the 'dancing w/ the stars tour' stop at allstate arena. the drawback is the the only availble setas are in the upper section...i can't see how watching george hamilton do the mambo from that high can be exciting. but, she loves that fucking show and actually goes into a week of the blahs whenver a season gets over.

All year I save all my spare change in a big jar, usually a couple hundred bucks. Then I go to the mall and pick a couple of names off of the Salvation Army tree and spend the money on the stuff on those lists.

...annnnddd then use the charity to impress women and get laid? c'mon man, you are going to ruin my image of you w/ thoughtful stuff like that.

No, seriously. The ex and I used to do that as our gifts to each other and I just carried the tradtion, It's not like I have a giant family to buy for or something. My dog does get a few new toys though.

If it makes you feel better, my Christmas tree is just an empty wine bottle with Christmas lights in it.

I think I may do most of my xmas shopping on etsy.com - I like to support artists/crafters - and will likely make a few things myself.

I have gone CRAZY on etsy.com over the last couple days. Ever since I watched that documentary about WalMart a few months ago I have been on a mission to buy as little as possible from any one of those damn bloodsucking chains. I've spent something like 12 hours on etsy in the last two days. It's totally addicting. I refresh the "Just Listed" page every 5 minutes and go to town. :lol

[quote name='JUDE

I got one of my nephews and one of my sons super hero capes off of Etsy.com

My older boys are getting their rooms redone. Austin wants his in an Arsenal theme so we're going to have a friend of mine do the Arsenal logo as a wall mural. They'll get some army guys and Star Wars stuff too. Oh and probably a Wii game or two.

The little kids will get toys.

Everybody get books.

I'm making stuff for my mom and sister.

Jay and I usually don't get each other anything but we buy something for the whole family and count that as our gift. This year we're getting a digital camcorder.

Etsy is awesome.

I have a shop there too. http://austrya.etsy.com

Mom- I have no idea what to get her. She's hard to shop for and I always buy the wrong thing.

Dad- New pair of scuba gloves, because his have holes in the fingers... not a good idea cos the trigger fish bite!

Sister- The Elliott Smith picture book and an exploding dog shirt

Dog- Some of her favorite cookies.

I came into a little extra cash right at the right time so I am buying my husband a painting by a well known VC artist :shifty

For the adults in our family, I put money into charities in their names. Here are a few from the past:

Heifer

Mercy Corps

Medecins Sans Frontieres

Seva International

Still thinking about which ones to do this year..... hmmmm

I came into a little extra cash right at the right time so I am buying my husband a painting by a well known VC artist :shifty

that reminds me, when are you coming over to the studio to pose? i've got the turqoise encrusted beanbag and x-large bag of dum dums as you requested. he'll love it!