What are you GIVING for Christmas?

thanks Jen! that picture is not of my creation - but from the site where I got the pattern. I am hopeful for success. :) I am doing the skulls in a tan/offwhite and then the inside liner will be red. I have the yarn, but need to finish the others.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I was crafty, Kate! That stuff looks so cool, and I know from getting gifts from my mom, it means so much when a gift is not only handmande, but specifically designed for the giftee. The skulls crack me up. Em's got a cool mom!

The extent of my craftiness for the season was describing to the woman on etsy what I wanted... and then she offered suggestions that were much better than my ideas, anyway! :lol

The knitting stuff is my gift to mom in the family secret santa; for their real presents, we "kids" are giving Dad an ipod nano so he can listen to audiobooks, and Mom's going to get one of those digital frames, since she refuses to step near a computer, and I'm too lazy to print out any of my digital pics for her.

Oh, and I'm adopting a grizzly bear for the kids of some friends of mine.

My dad's in the car business so he doesn't need a new car. But he does a lot of work on them so I'm getting him this:

pail4.jpg

Mom's getting an iPod nano, and I'll load it with some Wilco and other great artists that I think she'll like.

The biggest challenge I have is the girl I'm dating. How big of a gift do you get someone you've been dating for a month? Awkward.

EDIT: I hope they don't read this before Christmas.

Update: this woman made the most fantastic knitting bag and assorted little bags to go along with it, for my mom's gift! I'm thrilled with it! :dancing

You should be thrilled - that's awesome! I don't know any knitter who wouldn't do backflips over that bag. I'm wishing I'd asked Santa for one. :)

We delivered our blankets to a home for children receiving cancer treatments in the city. The girls did a great job. The rest will be going to a homeless shelter next week, I believe.

And in the "coolness" factor, I bought my oldest her 1st guitar, not a big guy one like d-man might be getting. But it's something she can actually learn with. Her godfather is a terrific guitarist and vocalist, so hopefully, he'll be able to help her out :D

And the youngest asked for stuff to help her out with learning foreign languages and her very FIRST Harry Potter, so those will be under the tree, as well :thumbup

Kate, those gifts are amazing. I wish I could make stuff like that!

I did buy some of my Christmas presents this summer at the Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago (nothing like planning ahead.) I'm pretty excited about both of my parents' gifts this year - I got my dad a hefty gift certificate for some gourmet meat, which he will love. I went way overboard for my mom, kind of by accident - I didn't have a specific single large gift in mind, which is usually what I aim for. So instead I just kept accumulating smaller ones. Cute reading glasses, warm pajamas, a new wallet, the recording of her one and only Wilco show from Chicago last year (thanks mountain bed!) My favorite part of her gift, though, was procured on a business trip to Sacramento. She loves a particular kind of cherry hard candies, but there's nowhere around where she lives that sells them. I don't think I've seen any around for a year or so. But I happened into a candy store in Old Sacramento and found a barrel full of them - and carted home enough to fill a medium box. :lol The niece and nephews are all getting at least one book each.

I'm also hosting a Little House Christmas get together next week, and am in the process of creating party favor stockings for the attendees full of things Laura and Mary and Almanzo actually received in their stockings, as reported in the Little House books. White sugar, shiny pennies, tin cups, candy canes, a whole orange, and more! Yeah, we're all geeks. I can't wait. (If anybody knows where I can find horehound candy, let me know!)

I am also excited about the donations I made to Letters to Santa this year. I really hope those families have a fantastic Christmas. :wub

I'm also hosting a Little House Christmas get together next week, and am in the process of creating party favor stockings for the attendees full of things Laura and Mary and Almanzo actually received in their stockings, as reported in the Little House books. White sugar, shiny pennies, tin cups, candy canes, a whole orange, and more! Yeah, we're all geeks. I can't wait. (If anybody knows where I can find horehound candy, let me know!)

Oh man, I love horehound candy! I haven't had that in ages.

When my mom was little, she used to get an orange wrapped in tissue paper and a new hankie for christmas (seriously, we always tease her that she must have grown up with Laura Ingalls). She was telling the story again last night, that even after the orange was eaten she'd keep the tissue paper, because you could smell the orange on it for weeks.

When my mom was little, she used to get an orange wrapped in tissue paper and a new hankie for christmas (seriously, we always tease her that she must have grown up with Laura Ingalls). She was telling the story again last night, that even after the orange was eaten she'd keep the tissue paper, because you could smell the orange on it for weeks.
I love that. I kinda wish Christmas was still that way.

I may have access to Horehound candy. I know there is a shop near me that used to always carry it. I remember because when I was younger, I used to always giggle and think, "whorehound candy!" I'll check it out when I'm out today and report back. :thumbup