What are you GIVING for Christmas?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad builds model ships too! they probably know each other and subscribe to the same weird modeling magazines ;)

really, you're dad probably does know my dad then. he has a personal business that is devoted to model ship building, he creates "practicums" on how to build certain models and also develops and sells his own kits. they're probably in the same forums too, model ship building is a rather small community. i was traveling once and ended up in a conversation with a total stranger, he mentioned model ship building, i mentioned my dad, he knew him.

I think I may do most of my xmas shopping on etsy.com - I like to support artists/crafters - and will likely make a few things myself.

I hit Etsy for toy-shopping this weekend. I got some really cool felted sea creatures and a dragon puzzle for the kiddo.

(On a sidenote, my favorite etsy shops are Squaresville, CourtneyWatson, and Dyeabolical Yarns. And I'd totally feel that way if I wasn't friends with the proprietors. :))

The kiddo's also getting a wee acoustic guitar, which will cause her to lose her mind. Books, and a DVD with every episode of "The Ant and the Aardvark" from "The Pink Panther".

Not sure what I'm getting my husband. I'll probably buy from his Amazon wish list, which means he'll be getting lots of books on things like backyard ballistics and how to blow junk up with regular kitchen tools.

My dad gets books, and I'm knitting a scarf for him.

I was knitting a rather complicated bag for my mom's birthday, but managed to royally screw it up. It's been bumped back to Christmas to give me time to fix it. She's also getting a sweater, but not knit by me.

Everyone else is getting cozied mugs.

2 years ago, I bought my parents a brand new Nissan Altima for a Christmas present. I decided to buy them a car anyways because they needed one and it was close to Christmas so I thought I would use Christmas as an excuse. I drove the car to them on Christmas eve and handed them the keys. They didnt believe it, I had to keep saying it was true. My mom cried. Usually I dont make a big deal with gifts but sometimes it makes sense.

This year I am thinking about getting them a snow thrower cause they are getting too old to shovel.

dear ZenLunatic my wish is to own a Dodge Challenger

Edie check this one out

http://www.myelitis.org/

For the adults in our family, I put money into charities in their names. Here are a few from the past:

Heifer

A friendly guy who was sitting in front of my friends and I at the Little Rock show (before we high-tailed it down front) works at Heifer (headquartered in Little Rock in a really neat, new, "green" facility.)

Democracy Now! is a good one too! :thumbup

Charitable gifts really are the most fun to give. I buy toys to donate every year and I enjoy it immensely because there were several Christmas's when I was a kid where the only things I got were through charitable programs. The charm of shopping for toys has worn off a little in the past few years though, because I'm surrounded by my daughter's 24/7. I'm thinking about switching up to the program the local sheriff's office provides in which only teenagers are on their tree of names to be sponsored. With the teenagers, they actually make a little list of what they want and cd's are a common request so maybe I can get whatever disc they actually ask for and throw a little Wilco in a a bonus! Gotta proselytize the Wilcology!

Non-charitable shopping this year:

My daughter is hooked on Nightmare Before Christmas so I've been trolling ebay for a week now and stocking up on Jack Skellington goodies! I scored a plush set that was otherwise listed for $40 total from another seller for only $14! Bargain! Yay!

My honey is on some kind of mission to own the entire Norton Records catalog so he'll be getting several 45s from them this year.

really, you're dad probably does know my dad then. he has a personal business that is devoted to model ship building, he creates "practicums" on how to build certain models and also develops and sells his own kits. they're probably in the same forums too, model ship building is a rather small community. i was traveling once and ended up in a conversation with a total stranger, he mentioned model ship building, i mentioned my dad, he knew him.

hey, my dad too! he spends all winter making ship models from the 1800s!

I am giving this to my college sweetheart/ex who is coming into town on the 25th to be my date for my sisters wedding (on the 29th):

V268664.jpg

The gift that keeps on giving.

(edit: the red thing, not the girl)

Charitable gifts really are the most fun to give. I buy toys to donate every year and I enjoy it immensely because there were several Christmas's when I was a kid where the only things I got were through charitable programs. The charm of shopping for toys has worn off a little in the past few years though, because I'm surrounded by my daughter's 24/7. I'm thinking about switching up to the program the local sheriff's office provides in which only teenagers are on their tree of names to be sponsored. With the teenagers, they actually make a little list of what they want and cd's are a common request so maybe I can get whatever disc they actually ask for and throw a little Wilco in a a bonus! Gotta proselytize the Wilcology!

We pick a program each year that benefits kids and teens. For the last two years we did it through my daughter's daycare. They worked with Epworth House to fulfill gift wishes for the kids who lived in their shelter. The first year we did it, I picked a tag from a 17-year-old new mom. All she wanted for Christmas? Underwear. I'm sure I looked like a freak, buying twenty pairs of underpants five sizes too small for me while crying, but it had to be done.

Since my daughter's not in daycare this year, we're donating books. Our Barnes & Noble is doing a thing where customers can donate books that are given to kids in the local foster care system. We're in the store once a week for storytime, and I usually get sucked into buying a coffee and/or magazine. I figure if I can waste money on that stuff, I can buy books to donate.

The first year we did it, I picked a tag from a 17-year-old new mom. All she wanted for Christmas? Underwear. I'm sure I looked like a freak, buying twenty pairs of underpants five sizes too small for me while crying, but it had to be done.
I have to admit, if I had been the store clerk assisting you, I would have been a little freaked out by the crying part. Crying while buying underwear has got to look strange to anyone who doesn't understand what exactly is going down. :lol
I have known some lovely people who have worked with Epworth House! :wub

St. Louis or Chicago? I was supposed to teach cooking classes at the St. Louis one a few years ago, but wound up being way too pregnant by the time they needed me.

I have to admit, if I had been the store clerk assisting you, I would have been a little freaked out by the crying part. Crying while buying underwear has got to look strange to anyone who doesn't understand what exactly is going down. :lol

I'm such a bawl bag. I've since increased my meds and I no longer weep while buying underpants. :thumbup

My oldest daughter's Girl Scout Troop and we moms made a ton of fleece blankets and scarves that we are personally going to bring to a local shelter.

V268664.jpg

go you :thumbup

i got my wife a couple tshirts (she's a tshirt addict), the first season of Flight of the Conchords' show, Sicko, a couple of small things that are kind of inside jokes, and i'm recording a cd for her with songs that i've written for her as well as covers of some of her favorite songs

• 2 weeks later...

Mom and sis are getting fleece jackets. Dad's getting a USB hard drive. USB hubs for the whole family.

When I was in high school, me and another family I am really good friends with used to go buy whole sets of winter clothes. We'd get hats, jackets, boots and the whole bit. Then we split it all up into individual bags of outfits. We'd take the bags and go down the soup kitchen and give the outfits out to the people that were standing in the cold for their Christmas meal. That act has always put things in perspective for me.

My dear elderly parents were originally going to get a simple DVD player from yrs trly since they continue to eschew purchases of such modern contraptions.

However, it has been decided amongst us kids that they will be receiving a small LCD television, because...

*The old Trinitron they use most has begun to lean towards the "orange-er" hues of the color spectrum

* My sweet mothers make-up has begun to follow this trend also (Verified by my sisters)

Sometimes you gotta make with the "sneaky" for the ones you love.

Emily is getting a replacement cell phone (which we got used and cheap, but in good shape). I am also making her a hat with skulls on it. Oh, like this....

www.helloyarn.com-piratehat.jpg

I am making Graham an MST3K scarf. (though I ripped this one and started anew, in the round, with a design on the back)

2081769201_f58b5b3cdb.jpg

For my mom and mom-in-law I am framing a photograph I took at the SOA protest with a (sort of) poem I wrote about my experience there.

I am making some 49er legwarmers for Graham's stepmom.

2104290492_b4d7161ed7.jpg

....and then I am giving books to other various family members. I think that's about it!

Oh yeah, and the Southern Poverty Law Center got a gift as well.

--

Maudie that gift for your mom is AWESOME!!