Band of Horses interview

From The Guardian today:

It's late November in Los Angeles and the streets are smouldering unseasonally. A Microsoft Zune-branded tour bus gleams under the Capitol Records Tower, an oiled, silver skyscraper that blinks the word "Hollywood" in lights across town in morse code. The Avalon Theatre sits opposite, and from its doors comes the clamour of a band soundchecking quickly and confidently. It would be a typical West Coast rock scene if Band of Horses weren't something else entirely - a cultishly lovely indie-rock group on a mission to shake close-mindedness out of the music scene.

"If we believe anything, it's that the indie-rock crowd are now the boring crowd," smiles Ben Bridwell, the Band of Horses' leader, the following day. Sitting in the sun amid a sea of beer cans and his new six-strong touring band, you'd put him as an indie-rock crowd member himself, given his scruffy T-shirt, acres of tattoos and a beard that's part Amish savant, part explosion in a wire wool factory. But although the previous night's show was a triumph - a sold-out hour and a half that sounded like the Flaming Lips communing with Fleetwood Mac - he's still not happy. "They never let go. When old fans of ours say, 'Jeez, you have jocks at your shows now,' we say, 'Sweeeeet.'"

These aren't words you'd expect from a Seattle-bred band on the Sub Pop label. But in 2007, Sub Pop is another beast entirely from the days when it was associated with Nirvana and Kurt Cobain's suicidal unease with his own fame. Sub Pop is enjoying a second wave of international success, with artists such as CSS, the Shins and Iron & Wine selling out gigs around the world, and its new spirit is one of optimism and assurance. Band of Horses' second album, Cease to Begin - a beautiful record full of big-hearted sentiments and twisted lyrics - plays like the label's next big step into the world.

The three core members of Band of Horses have served a lengthy apprenticeship to earn their chance at success. Ben Bridwell, Creighton Barrett and Rob Hampton moved to Seattle from South Carolina in the mid 90s. Big fans of hardcore, post-punk and Pavement, they spent years playing in bands and working in bars, swapping shifts to make band practices and gigs. Bridwell was the best-known (though the levels of "fame" are relative), drumming for local cult band Carissa's Wierd until 2003, although he never thought about writing songs.

"The scene in Seattle was very small, tight and incestuous," Bridwell explains, easing his beer through his beard. "I loved it in a way, but when every bar is full of ex-band colleagues and ex-girlfriends, and the weather is conducive to being lazy - staying inside, smoking and playing the same chords all day - it's not good for you." So what kept you all there? "The feeling that we needed to be there. The town has its finger on the pulse, plus there's this unspoken rule that everyone there is trying to get success. It makes Seattle hugely competitive, and that can push you in positive ways."

As time passed, the boys' tastes broadened. The turning point came when they heard some demos by Bridwell's long-time family friend Sam Beam, who became Iron & Wine. Barrett goes misty-eyed at the memory. "Hearing Sam was like, bang, we're changed, man. Hear that beautiful man voice!" Keyboard player Ryan Monroe, a new recruit, describes the change more humorously. "It's simple - as you get older, your ears get bigger."

Band of Horses came together in 2004, releasing their first album, Everything All the Time, last year. It fizzed with reverb and atmosphere, quickly winning the band a fan base. The influential American website Pitchfork gave the album 8.8, the US indie-rock equivalent of a meal ticket. Soon after, it was nominated for the Shortlist Prize, America's rough equivalent of the Mercury, and its lead single, The Funeral, was a radio hit. The band reacted to success by heading back south. They look at the decision to leave Seattle pragmatically. "That place sucked us in for 10 years, so after everything worked out, we could finally go," Bridwell says.

But before they left, Bridwell wrote Cease to Begin in a clam-spawning town 15 miles from the city. "That's one thing about that part of the world," he says dreamily. "The eeriness of a grey sky every day, the characters you find. It's amazing to write in a dirty red caboose with no phone reception for miles, strange noises in the night, and old men arm wrestling over bottles of shitty wine." He found 20 years of journals in the caboose detailing the comings and goings of its guests - tales of lovers taking vacations, people taking refuge from terminal illnesses, and the sad decline of a dog called Morton who kept coming to the caboose to steal scraps. "When he came no longer in those books, man, I was devastated." Bridwell couldn't let Morton go, so he immortalised him on the album's second track, Ode to LRC.

Although Cease to Begin was written in the Pacific north-west, it sounds country-dappled, southern, and full of 70s rootsiness. It reflects a sea change in modern indie rock, a climate in which Midlake aren't embarrassed to rave about Jethro Tull. A straw poll of influences round the Band of Horses table brings up Grand Funk Railroad, Chicago Transit Authority and the formerly unfashionable Traveling Wilburys. Bridwell is defensive: "Groups then were much more real than My fucking Chemical Romance. Look what's popular on radio now, and what was popular then - talented players, great fucking melodies, inspiring lyrics." Looking at his inked arms waving around to make his point, it's like punk never happened. Barrett has another theory. "I think all the people who got into punk can actually play their instruments now. First they fell in love with playing, then they fell in love with music."

It's not just the musicians who have changed, they say: it's also fans. Bridwell recently had a run-in with a blogger who had filmed them on her phone camera, which angered him so much he brings it up without prompting. "The internet's brought the worst out in indie-rock fans. I mean that night, the crowd didn't move - all they cared about was YouTubing. And bloggers are perpetually stuck in junior year of high school. I know it's only a small percentage of the record-buying public that we're trying to reach, but fucking cull the herd and get rid of them." The bloggers, in return, are unhappy that the band licensed songs to Ford and Wal-Mart for advertising - although the band later retracted their permission for the latter to use their music. Bridwell is unrepentant. "The record industry has changed so much you've got to move with the times, and commercials are the biggest radio stations in the world." He's a bit embarrassed about the fancy branding on the tour bus, admittedly, but not Microsoft Zune's offer to fund their tour. "Otherwise it'd be two of us driving vans across America killing ourselves. Plus," - his mouth dips half-apologetically - "we all love delicious, cold beers."

They're the words of an indie-rock band dropping the indie for good, and their star is swiftly rising. In the last few weeks, Bruce Springsteen has raved about them in Spin magazine, and they've played the legendary Fillmore East. What more do you want to do? Bridwell sits up straight. "Make it in Britain. Make more music that my mom would be into. Fill our gigs with drunk dads and babies. And use the skills we've all got to really take this further - because now it's like we have a new calling." He looks at his bandmates lovingly, lifts his can in the air, and they all whoop delightedly. "Not be a shitty indie-rock band ever again. We're going to make this a monster!"

Bridwell is on the mark with his comments regarding concert-goers obsession w/ myspace and youtube. I remember after the infamous San Diego incident, he talked about how he doesn't understand why people can't just experience the concerts and remember them instead of being so concerned w/ filming it or taking pictures of it or blogging about it for myspace/youtube/blogosphere glory. It all seems very superficial to me.

It actually reminds me of the BoH Everything All the Time show at the Metro. There were a bunch of kids around me shooting pics and writing down the setlist for their blogs. Bridwell broke into their cover of David Allen Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name," and all the kids were scrambling around trying to find out what the song was while I thrillingly sang along.

• 2 months later...

Another interview with the Independent today...

It has not even been two years since Band of Horses began to create a stir in the underground with their debut album Everything All the Time. Just about every music publication in the Western world has honed in on the band's lilting, indie-rock loveliness, but the reams of celebratory prose from Pitchfork, NME and even a recent Filter cover story could never compare to a few short words of praise from Bruce Springsteen. During an interview late last year, he singled out Band of Horses as one of his favourite new discoveries, hailing their "dark, romantic music".

The thrill of being referenced by one of his influences is something that has humbled the singer and guitarist Ben Bridwell: "I found out about that from my girlfriend," recalls the frontman, furrowing his brow with a clear sense of shock. "She pasted the article in an email that she sent while we were in Germany and... man, I couldn't believe that Springsteen had even heard of our band, let alone that he was actually a fan. That same week, we got to meet Ron Wood too when we played on Jools Holland's show and I'm pretty much obsessed with him. I never dreamed I'd be playing in music on this level anyway but it's things like that that make think I'm living in a fairy tale."

I meet the band as they play what is virtually a home-town show in Charleston, South Carolina (their actual base is a few minutes' drive away in neighbouring Mount Pleasant), and the effect that their set has on the barn-like venue is like witnessing an exercise in hypnosis. Although the group essentially comprises Bridwell, the guitarist Rob Hampton and the drummer Creighton Barrett, the live line-up is expanded to include keyboardist Ryan Monroe, bass player Bill Reynolds and guitarist Tyler Ramsey. Together, the six-piece give the aching melancholy of songs like new single "No One's Gonna Love You" an overpowering beauty, but more than anything, it's Bridwell's serene and deeply comforting voice that seems to transfix the crowd.

With his abundance of tattoos, scraggy baseball cap and impressively overgrown beard, the singer may look like an ill-tempered truckstop attendant but when he opens his mouth the audience swoons.

Band of Horses formed out of the ashes of Bridwell's old outfit, Carissa's Wierd (it's deliberately spelt wrongly). The group's folky efforts were always small feed on the indie circuit, yet Bridwell was more than willing to do a stint as their drummer. "We were just happy bumming around but we had the best times in that band and it pretty much made me the person I am today," he remembers fondly. "We never aimed to be big and I definitely didn't mind working behind a bar just so I could play music."

When Carissa's Wierd disbanded in 2003, he and guitarist Mat Brooke formed Horses almost immediately before adding the "Band of" prefix and landing a deal with Seattle's world-famous Sub Pop imprint.

The blanket praise and cult fanbase earned from the release of Everything All the Time in March 2006 was followed by a rapid commercial breakthrough primarily thanks to "The Funeral"

And my review of their show in London this week with some cool photos:

http://thelineofbestfit.com/2008/02/28/ban...-london-260208/

"And bloggers are perpetually stuck in junior year of high school. I know it's only a small percentage of the record-buying public that we're trying to reach, but fucking cull the herd and get rid of them."

"Ben Bridwell doesn't like you!" :lol

Music to my ears Ben :worship Lets get back to rock. I am one of those dads with babies. Now I probably wont be bringing my sons to your shows or getting drunk, but I sure do like 90 minutes of good rock and no schtick, which is what BOH is all about. These dudes got a long career ahead of them. Here's hoping that they and wilco and some others can curb this indie pretensious nonsense that is rampant right now. arcade fire? Rock on! :thumbup

It's discovering new bands like Band of Horses that keep me excited about music.

I was going to once again combat my agoraphobia and take D-man to see them at the Palladium in Dallas earlier this month...but I fucked up, forgot the date they were coming and missed them.

I really love this band. They, along with My Morning Jacket, the North Mississipps All-Stars and the Drive By Truckers are presenting a new face on 'Southern' rock that I can identify with.

It ain't your daddy's south anymore.

Hi Welsh Rich,

You must have been in the photo pit with me at Koko if it was you who took those photos.

Some slow shutter speeds there, it was practically pitch black the whole show and with no flash for the permitted first three songs nigh on impossible to get anything decent. You did well.

I was fortunate enough to stay in the pit the whole show sitting in front of the barrier/rail so had a fantastic view right in front of Ben.

First time I've seen them and was surprised how 'country' they were, which is a good thing in my book.

Look forward to seeing them at Shepherds Bush on July 8th, and would imagine they'll be doing the festivals in UK/Europe. Latitude I reckon for one and maybe Glasto.

Cheers

Music to my ears Ben :worship Lets get back to rock. I am one of those dads with babies. Now I probably wont be bringing my sons to your shows or getting drunk, but I sure do like 90 minutes of good rock and no schtick, which is what BOH is all about. These dudes got a long career ahead of them. Here's hoping that they and wilco and some others can curb this indie pretensious nonsense that is rampant right now. arcade fire? Rock on! :thumbup

are you taking the piss? are you saying arcade fire are pretentious and that they don't deliver 90 minutes of outstanding rock?!? have you seen them live?

Not everybody has to like all the music everybody else likes. I have a hard time with AF too, and I can understand the anti-hipsterness happening these days. It's kind of an undertandable reaction, though I say give everyone the benefit of the doubt... I think that's kind of the point in that interview, anybody cool enough to want to associate with my group is OK even if we don't all have the same taste in clothing, lifestyle, music. And if you have a problem with that openness and stuff, then you don't have to come around.

I have been listening to nothing but Steve Earle, Smithsonian Folkways old timey music, Old Crow Medicine Show and Whiskeytown, for about four months...

I suspect there are folks around here who would rather die than walk a day in my headphones. To each his own.

are you taking the piss? are you saying arcade fire are pretentious and that they don't deliver 90 minutes of outstanding rock?!? have you seen them live?

yes, totally overrated.

Not everybody has to like all the music everybody else likes. I have a hard time with AF too, and I can understand the anti-hipsterness happening these days. It's kind of an undertandable reaction, though I say give everyone the benefit of the doubt... I think that's kind of the point in that interview, anybody cool enough to want to associate with my group is OK even if we don't all have the same taste in clothing, lifestyle, music. And if you have a problem with that openness and stuff, then you don't have to come around.

I have been listening to nothing but Steve Earle, Smithsonian Folkways old timey music, Old Crow Medicine Show and Whiskeytown, for about four months...

I suspect there are folks around here who would rather die than walk a day in my headphones. To each his own.

well said. it's really hard to talk about music and scenes etc. without being exactly what we are reacting to, elitism. i just like the idea of BoH being an everyman's band. just making good music because that is what they do. no shtick, no selling out, etc.

• 3 weeks later...