Wilco Ticket Price

The Irish Times ran an article on how Ireland is so expensive for tickets vs the rest of Europe, Wilco in Vicar st were mentioned.

"Interestingly, few commenters blamed the acts themselves, although, as Overfriendly Concierge pointed out, they surely know what's going on. "Wilco are charging

Spanish minumum wage is something like 5 euros, ours is 8 euro 50 cent. Of course we sahould be charged more

Maybe, but Ireland is getting cleaned out of it with ticket prices for many gigs, not just Wilco.

Many bands have a whole European tour and keep generally around the same price but when they play Ireland it goes up.

The Wilco gigs were def not the worst in terms of this, they are a great established band and played an intimate venue. But many gigs are bands with 1 album and are def not worth the asking price.

Maybe, but Ireland is getting cleaned out of it with ticket prices for many gigs, not just Wilco.

Many bands have a whole European tour and keep generally around the same price but when they play Ireland it goes up.

The Wilco gigs were def not the worst in terms of this, they are a great established band and played an intimate venue. But many gigs are bands with 1 album and are def not worth the asking price.

Then don't go. Use your head man! ;)

We are an island with a relatively small population and as such the overheads for getting here are that bit above the norm. There have also been a number of issues with MCD and Aiken over the past number of years which leads many to believe that they are screwing us in terms of ticket prices. Just don't start me on how Ticketmaster screws us...

Then don't go. Use your head man! ;)

We are an island with a relatively small population and as such the overheads for getting here are that bit above the norm. There have also been a number of issues with MCD and Aiken over the past number of years which leads many to believe that they are screwing us in terms of ticket prices. Just don't start me on how Ticketmaster screws us...

I dont go, just pointing out an article Wilco are mentioned in

As someone who works in the business the issues are multi fold, but the setting of ticket price is always by the promoters. They have to take into account artists fee (negotiated with the agent), venue hire and sundry expenses, tech riders, personal riders, taxes, etc, etc and then allow themselves a margin for profit on top.

The industry in general is complaining that the artists' agents are demanding higher and higher fees which is squeezing promoters' margins. However having seen Wilco six times this year in five different countries the Dublin tickets were definitely the dearest. I was in Ireland earlier in the year and having scanned the press and spoken to locals it seems that the general complaint is that prices are way too dear.

The problem is compounded that (without intimate knowledge of the scene) that there are only 2 major promoters working the market. We have the same problem in Scotland where there are only 2 major promoters (one owned by an Irish corporation) and 2 smaller promoters who fight it out with a bunch of London based agents to get the best deals to enable gigs to happen. Often the agents pitch these promoters against each other to make 'their best offer'. In the end though it's the punters who suffer. In Scotland we don't often get the shows at all as agents can get bigger fees in England and then the bands don't get north of the border.

That's one of the reasons why I've travelled all over this year to see my favourite band!!

As someone who works in the business the issues are multi fold, but the setting of ticket price is always by the promoters. They have to take into account artists fee (negotiated with the agent), venue hire and sundry expenses, tech riders, personal riders, taxes, etc, etc and then allow themselves a margin for profit on top.

The industry in general is complaining that the artists' agents are demanding higher and higher fees which is squeezing promoters' margins. However having seen Wilco six times this year in five different countries the Dublin tickets were definitely the dearest. I was in Ireland earlier in the year and having scanned the press and spoken to locals it seems that the general complaint is that prices are way too dear.

The problem is compounded that (without intimate knowledge of the scene) that there are only 2 major promoters working the market. We have the same problem in Scotland where there are only 2 major promoters (one owned by an Irish corporation) and 2 smaller promoters who fight it out with a bunch of London based agents to get the best deals to enable gigs to happen. Often the agents pitch these promoters against each other to make 'their best offer'. In the end though it's the punters who suffer. In Scotland we don't often get the shows at all as agents can get bigger fees in England and then the bands don't get north of the border.

That's one of the reasons why I've travelled all over this year to see my favourite band!!

your use of the word dear is making me blush