Just a bit more than one month away. Iowa/New Hampshire. The "most important Presidential campaign in our lifetime" etc etc.

Will the nominee have this thing wrapped up before February? How important is it to get a jump on the other candidates by winning the first week or two? There seems to be an awful lot of weight being given to Iowa by the pundits right now. Especially considering the situation with the Dems - the top 3 are very very close in terms of percentage.

It's kind of sad to say, but I'll assume that a number of second-tier candidates (on either side) will drop out by Feb. 5, if not before. My opinion is the primary season is way out of whack. There really needs to be a more uniform way of doing this thing, but I'll be damned if I know how to effectively do this.

Comments?

I think Obama's gonna win Iowa (because it rhymes), beginning the dogfight between him and Hillary in earnest. Whoever wins on the GOP side may well become the frontrunner. Conflicting results from the Granite State will prolong the Republicans' internecine struggles and draw money away from the eventual nominee.

Like the Electoral College, the primary system is here to stay. At what other time does the national political machine give one shit about what happens in a small state?

I guess they're all really counting on the rest of the nation to look to Iowa for their thoughts on who makes the best nominee. Maybe there should be a poll somewhere that says, "Does the way Iowa goes influence your perception of the candidates at all?" I don't know about the rest of them, but Obama's campaign people are sure enthusiastic about Iowa. They send out e-mail notices on it constantly, "Iowa is only (fill in amount here) weeks/days away! Donate $25 now!!!"

Mike Huckabee is leading in Iowa. How important can it possibly be? That said, I do think it's going to go a long, long way to deciding some things on the democratic nominee side of things. I hope everybody writes in Al Gore and we go from there.

Guest Golyadkin

If you want to be free vote Ron Paul.

I like Mike Huckabee also. I think Iowa is very important for him.

There I said it.

Doug is not so sure about Paul however, for Doug thinks our force is necessary in Iraq.

this doesn't necessarliy have to do with the Iowa caucus but...

one of my political science professors has told me that he predicts that if Hilary wins the nomination, then the democrats will lose the presidency. he thinks if Obama gets the nomination, then the democrats will win by a relatively wide margin. i really like Obama, and hope that he wins.

this doesn't necessarliy have to do with the Iowa caucus but...

one of my political science professors has told me that he predicts that if Hilary wins the nomination, then the democrats will lose the presidency. he thinks if Obama gets the nomination, then the democrats will win by a relatively wide margin. i really like Obama, and hope that he wins.

He's right, actually. I have switched to the Obama camp.

This Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton cycle really must end.

Absolutely! I'm 25, and I can't remember as far back as Reagan, so I'm aching for some newness in the White House. I would have liked for "newness" to mean a woman, but not if that woman has to be Hillary. :hmm
Guest Golyadkin

We need real real change.

I believe Obama means well, but really has nothing to offer as for real change.

They both want bigger government and they both want me to pay for it all.

Guest Golyadkin

The whole cycle must go. Blue, Red, Right, left... We are not as divided as they claim / want. Keeping us apart keeps two of them in power.

Behind closed doors all these people laugh hand in hand in hand all the way to the bank.

Our arguments are petty and while we bicker, the rest of the world builds up around us.

To me, we are losing the right to call America the land of the free.

We want less responsibilities, which means a bigger government, which ultimately means less freedom.

The whole "Ron Paul doesn't want to take all of your money" argument has worn thin with me. There are some insanely persistent Paul supporters in my 'hood. I don't mind dishing over my dough (not that I've really got any to dish) for the right things.

There are a lot of people who are pissed off at taxes. I've been a salaried employee of someone else all my life and have never owned a home, so I'm a bit insulated from them. And despite my personal habits, I don't go in for Libertarianism. I can't help but suspect it will lead to fortress towns, the devil taking the hindmost and the Road Warrior world.

FDR wouldn't like it. And if FDR wouldn't like it, bjornicus doesn't like it.

Gotta stick with your homies.

There was a very interesting discussion tonight with members of the media (print, TV etc) about the campaign. There were two things they all agreed on: 1) as political junkies, they are all having a great time with this campaign and 2) NO ONE has the slightest idea what the hell is going to happen. They all seem to think it's way more wide open than folks would be led to believe. And as BG and others have stated Hillary could be poison if she gets the nomination.

Edwards almost has to win Iowa to get the nod. In fact, any of the Dems need Iowa right out of the block. Not so much with the Reps - they're really in a wierd state right now as a party.

A lot of talk was made about one of the losers coming out as a third-party candidate. If he keeps up with the good job of fundraising Ron Paul could very easily be the guy to do this. I find it kind of mind-blowing that he seems to be getting a lot of love among the college age crowd considering he's 75 years old and has 15 grandkids. But then again, given the libertarian nature of college life itself I guess that's not too surprising. :lol