MMJ Goes Gospel on New Album?

Saw this on the MMJ board today. Supposedly it's in the new Rolling Stone. If this is true, it will be very interesting to say the least.

MMJ go gospel on new disc. Quotes Jim as saying he has "never been rocked as hard as listening to gospel music, listening to Sam Cooke's secular music and then hearing the gospel he did before this blew his fucking mind, no guitars, no bullshit!"

Both the sound and subject matter influenced his 25 or so new songs-which the full band demoed during a monthlong stay in a secluded studio in the colorado mountains. "we went out there and cooked dinner for each other and got lost."

They are still deciding which songs to include on the album next.

in...it was either Paste or Magnet's last issue...James was going off about making a record with a very singular vibe. He then used two rather strange examples--Springsteen's "Nebraska" and Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique." So that listeners going into it could either expect something very laidback, or something all over the place.

I'm not explaining this very succinctly, mainly because I don't remember exactly what he said. Point being, with all the different influences being tossed about, this could be VERY interesting.

just as i clicked on this thread, "pictures of you" from last winter's fillmore run popped up on the shuffle. :wub

i heard the phrase "fucked up funk record" was used by jim in that magnet article in re: possible directions for the new album.

man oh man, i love that band. :banana

:lol

since i read your post i've been trying to imagine a scenario...i've tried including these elements:

-flying monkeys

-a marching band

-pie

still, can't find a problem.

How about a kids album? Have you seen Jim James' Chipmunks Christmas Song and Rainbow Connection Clips from Lolla? I will absolutely gobble up anything that they put out.

Or how about some soul? Curtis Mayfield's "Move on Up", also from Lolla. :dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqctQAK2nm0

That is so rad. I do have to admit though that it kind of freaks me out to see Jim without hair.

MOTHERFUCKER. This is incredible news. One thing I'll grant Christianity is that it's inspired some of the most amazing music ever recorded. And the best band around today (yeah, I finally admitted it about six months ago) going gospel? Good, good, great news.

How about a kids album? Have you seen Jim James' Chipmunks Christmas Song and Rainbow Connection Clips from Lolla? I will absolutely gobble up anything that they put out.

Or how about some soul? Curtis Mayfield's "Move on Up", also from Lolla. :dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqctQAK2nm0

All three of those are awesome, especially "Move on Up".

Whatever they got: Bring it. I'm on board with it

That is so rad. I do have to admit though that it kind of freaks me out to see Jim without hair.

Then I bet it really freaks you out to see him without hair OR beard.

One Big Holiday Acoustic from Bridge School Benefit in October. The kids in the back are awesome.

I'd feel too dissatisfied that somone who sang the lyrics to Wordless Chorus submitted himself to being lopped into a subculture.

I feel you on that, but I look at it this way: all music is spiritual. All musicians and artists are trying to reach that place, that feeling, some call it god, some call it truth, some call it happiness, some call it the meaning of life, Allman Bros. call it "hitting the note." Its all gospel to me.

I feel you on that, but I look at it this way: all music is spiritual. All musicians and artists are trying to reach that place, that feeling, some call it god, some call it truth, some call it happiness, some call it the meaning of life, Allman Bros. call it "hitting the note." Its all gospel to me.

Amen!!!

I started on MMJ after a long stint with M Ward, I'm getting that same feeling here. I'm looking forward to just about anything they want to put out. Gospel, Tribal, Celtic, Funk, whatever inspires them. :thumbup

from mmj "steam engine:"

to anyone who wondered

what old jebus meant to me

take him out to go diving

in red patoka sea

the brain melts in the twilight

with the boar and moving trees

for anyone who's looking to get even further into discussion about mmj, they have a forum link on the band's website.

i don't want to give anyone the impression i'm checking the mmj love here at vc! just want you to know that it's there.

*cough* i spend a little time there, myself. :dance

on the it still moves album it sounds like "jesaw"

jim's not known for his diction. :lol also seems like he's often singing to express and emotion rather than make a point.

of note: that OBH from the bridge school was AMAZING!! crowd gave them a standing ovation at the end of their set. :banana

I am going to Yo La Tengo's hannukah show tonight at Maxwell's.

annnnnnnnnd here was last night's set (see encore). Talk about some gospel...

Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's

6 December 2007

*(Hanukah, night 3)*

The dB's and Eugene Mirman opened.

Mix disc by Todd Abramson.

Nuclear War (Sun Ra)

Five Cornered Drone (Crispy Duck)

The Race Is On Again

Autumn Sweater

The Weakest Part

Mr. Tough

No Water (with Chris Stamey of the dB's on guitar)

I Wanna Be Your Lover (Bob Dylan) (with CS on organ, Gene Holder on guitar, Will Rigby on 2nd drums)

Cast A Shadow (Beat Happening) (with GH and WR on drums)

Don't Have To Be So Sad (with WR)

Tom Courtenay

Styles of the Times

Watch Out For Me, Ronnie

I Heard You Looking (with Peter Holsapple of the dB's on organ)

*(encore)*

Heart Full of Soul (The Yardbirds) (with CS)

The Question (Will Rigby) (with WR)

Solitary Man (Neil Diamond) (with Jim James of My Morning Jacket on vocals and guitar)

Secret Agent Man (P.F. Sloan/Steve Barri) (with JJ)

Hard Luck Woman (KISS) (with JJ)

I bought that Chocolate and Ice ep(it's cool colored vinyl) And "Cobra" on it takes up the entire second side of the 12 inch.....If I remember correctly, the ep is kind of all over the place, so maybe that's what we can expect with the next album.

I have At Dawn, It Still Moves and Z--are Tennessee Fire and Chocolate and Ice EP necessary listening as well?

Also, I've been meaning to pick up the Okonokos DVD for fuckin forever now. If I don't get it under the xmas tree this year, I'm running out on Boxing Day to get it.