Yo La Tengo (Hannukah, night 4)

Caught the 4th night of Hannukah last night at Maxwell's with Yo La Tengo. Such a treat. The set itself was fantastic with classics like Cherry Chapstick, Sugarcube, Tom Courtenay and newer rockers like Pass the Hatchet and Should've Known Better. The big surprise of the night was Alex Chilton joining them on stage for the encore. No Big Star songs, but a Carole King, Kinks, Stones, VU/Nico covers (and one more that I can't remember). I was lucky enough to snag a setlist. Amazingly, some dude has already posted videos on Youtube:

Sugarcube:

Cherry Chapstick:

Til The End of the Day w/ Alex Chilton (Kinks cover)

Femme Fatale w/ Alex Chilton (VU/Nico cover):

Setlist:

Cherry Chapstick

Evanescent

Pass the Hatcher

Eyes

Lot G

The Summer

Weakest

Beanbag chair

Detouring

Should've Known Better

Sugarcube

Tom Courtenay

Heroin (!)

Take Care

Encore (w/ Alex Chilton)

Carole King song (?)

Til the End of the Day (Kinks cover)

Time is on My Side (Stones cover) (sung by a woman from the charity being sponsored)

Femme Fatale

etc.

YLT is abolutely great...being from the east coast and now settling in Chicago (after 12 years, can i still be settling?).. these shows are the equivalent of the Thanksgiving Wilco shows of the past...I ahve seen them about 30 times and can never get enough.. even names our second daughter georgia...

David Cross on comedy and Howard Kaylan (of The Turtles) was the special guest for the encore on night 8.

What a week. I made it to nights 4, 6 and 8. Getting out to (and back from) Hoboken is not the easiest thing in the world. Stumbled home at 2am all three times. At work by 8am.

But hey - you Chicago folks get Wilco Residencies. Well fine. We get Yo La Tengo for Hannukah!!

David Cross on comedy and Howard Kaylan (of The Turtles) was the special guest for the encore on night 8.

What a week. I made it to nights 4, 6 and 8. Getting out to (and back from) Hoboken is not the easiest thing in the world. Stumbled home at 2am all three times. At work by 8am.

But hey - you Chicago folks get Wilco Residencies. Well fine. We get Yo La Tengo for Hannukah!!

Sounds like a blast. Always enjoyed seeing the bands I love at Maxwell's, though it's getting rarer.

Sounds like a blast. Always enjoyed seeing the bands I love at Maxwell's, though it's getting rarer.

It was such a blast. Blast doesnt even describe it. Seeing YLT at Maxwell's for Hanukklah is pure perfection. All is right with the world.

I have such a new found respect for the band. I loved them before the week started, but my love has skyrocketed. Some of the slower tunes from And Nothing Turned Itself... -- I have to admit that sometimes I'd get bored and skip them on the CD. But man oh man, hearing them live this week made me realize that songs like The Crying Of Lot G and Last Days Of Disco are every bit as powerful -- if not more powerful -- than tunes like Cherry Chapstick. I mean, incredible stuff...

The song said let's be happy.

It never made me happy.

Before.

:wub

• 1 month later...
12/9

12/8

12/7

12/6

12/5

All in MP3! Just kidding. They're all FLACs, as always.

Thanks so much Owl. Can't wait to get home to re-live the experience(s). Stupid question: is there a way to download the whole show, or does it have to be done as separate FLAC files? I looked around on your website, but I didnt see this issue discussed anywhere. Sorry if I missed it.