The Magnetic Fields- Distortion

Giving it a listen right now. Certainly seems like his older stuff rather than I, or 69. Not too high on the first two tracks, but liked Old Fools

Well after a few full spins I think I'm liking it. The "distorted sound" all the way through may take some getting used to. Looking forward to hearing how these sound live.

Anyway highlights for me: Old Fools, Mr. Misletoe, and Too Drunk to Dream

Judging from no posts since this morning I'm guessing not too many Mag. Fields fans in these parts

I love the Magnetic Fields, but I haven't found the leak yet. I'm looking forward to the new release. Wish I could go see one of the shows, but they aren't coming anywhere near me and I don't have the time to travel.

• 3 months later...

I'm replying to this rather late to the party, but what the hell.

I was fortunate enough to see them at the Old Town School a few weeks ago. If you're not familiar with the venue it is a super intimate little theatre, there are maybe ten rows on the floor, and truly not a bad seat in the house. The sound is always amazing, and the show totally felt like some weird high school music recital, except with some of the most exquisitely crafted songs being played instead of the crap you would normally get at a high school recital. I had never seen TMF live (hell, I barely knew what they looked like, save for the pics in 69 Love Songs), and I guess they just do one super short tour when they put out an album nowadays. Stephin Merritt has some problem in his left ear and I guess applause feedbacks in his head and is really uncomfortable. I didn't know this beforehand, so I was a little confused as to why he put earplugs in following the songs. The dude only wears brown too. Oh, and he only played a Bazouki. I'll admit I'm a sucker for quirk, so I am totally won over now. The performance is not one that would come off in a rock club at all, and the audience was so quiet and polite during the songs. Which leads me to the Distortion issue: they played nearly every song off the album sans distortion. They were barely recognizable and extremely beautiful, especially Stephin doing lead vocals on "Nun's Litany". If you're curious, there's a great show on Dime from Town Hall in New York, I highly recommend grabbing the remastered torrent. I'm seeding it now. Papa Was A Rodeo is freakishly transcendental.

I saw them in Boston on this tour and I agree with your comments.

The stuff from Distortion sounds great live, much better than it sounds on the album. It does make me appreciate the album more because I can sort of hear the songs through the distortion.

• 3 months later...

New US Dates, I cannot stress enough how much you should try and see them. I'll be in Madison!!

---------------------------------------------

THE MAGNETIC FIELDS - OCTOBER 2008 TOUR SCHEDULE:

Oct 10 (Fri)

Minneapolis, MN

The State Theater

Oct 11 (Sat)

Madison, WI

Capitol Theater at Overture Center for the Arts

Oct 13 (Mon)

Dallas, TX

The Majestic

** (Music Today pre-sale not available)

Oct 14 (Tue)

Austin, TX

The Paramount Theater

** (Music Today pre-sale not available)

Oct 15 (Wed)

Boulder, CO

The Boulder Theater

Oct 17 (Fri)

Atlanta, GA

Symphony Hall at the Woodruff Arts Center

Oct 18 (Sat)

Raleigh, NC

Meymandi Concert Hall at Progress Energy Center

Oct 23 (Thu)

Jersey City, NJ

Leows Jersey Theatre

Oct 24 (Fri)

Columbus, OH

The Southern Theatre

Oct 25 (Sat)

Philadelphia, PA

The Merriam Theater

** (Music Today pre-sales start August 4)

Oct 26 (Sun)

Washington, DC

Lisner Auditorium at George Washington University

---------------------------------------------

• 2 months later...

I'm looking forward to this friday night in Atlanta and was wondering if anyone had been to any of the other shows this tour and could shed some light on what time they have been hitting the stage and how long they have been playing. I'm trying to decide whether to drive back home that night or stay in Atlanta. Any insight is certainly appreciated.

The Dallas show was two sets with a 15 minute intermission and a 2 song encore. They played stuff from Distortion, 69 Love Songs, i, the Gothic Archies' Lemony Snicket albums, the 6ths' albums and even Stephin's Chinese opera. In short, amazing.