My cover of "My Darling" - Acoustic

Wow, nice. That's a pretty spot on cover. I like the harmonies a lot!

What did you use to record your guitar? I'm always curious how people record their stuff...

Thank you. :-)

I used a little program called Acoustica Mixcraft. It's always been my favorite... Few features, but it's nice and simple and the effects are great. The acoustic guitar has a built in pre-amp and I just run the guitar straight into a peavey mixer and then into the PC. Sounds pretty darn good for inexpensive equipment. Glad you like. :-)

very nice, lamrod -- i listened just now and enjoyed it, thanks for posting! you have a good and friendly voice.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.

Well done, my only complaint would be that it sounds too much like the original.

Very good point. I have recorded/performed covers in the past where they were modified so much that you could barely tell what the original song was, but this time I wanted to make it sound as much like the original as I possible, but let the acoustic guitar change the dynamic of the song.

Hold on everyone. Its a Jay Bennett song. You must hate it.

Just because Jay got relieved of his musical duties in Wilco doesn't mean that all of a sudden his music sucks. I was sincere what I said earlier in the post about liking Lamrods singing voice in the song better than when Jay sang it but that doesn't mean that I don't like Jay's voice or his music.

That was awesome! Thanks for posting it.

...makes me want to cover that tune, what a lady killer :)

And don't take the criticism to heart, I don't know what your motive behind covering the tune was, but it's not like you were trying to sell it or something :)

It's super-awesome, but I think you could push the guitars back into the mix some and the vocals forward some, I hear one acoustic track and it seems to be a lot louder than the rest. Not that it's a bad thing, but just my personal mixing opinion. I think during the interlude-y parts it's perfectly fine to keep them in the front because it sounds like they're doing their little solo-y thingy.

And piano would fit perfectly in this song too, consider adding it in.

It's a very good version of the song!

It's super-awesome, but I think you could push the guitars back into the mix some and the vocals forward some, I hear one acoustic track and it seems to be a lot louder than the rest. Not that it's a bad thing, but just my personal mixing opinion. I think during the interlude-y parts it's perfectly fine to keep them in the front because it sounds like they're doing their little solo-y thingy.

And piano would fit perfectly in this song too, consider adding it in.

It's a very good version of the song!

Thanks everyone.. I really appreciate the comments.

And thanks for pointing that out Mr. Tibbles. I didn't spend that much time on the mixdown and since you mentioned it, I do notice that one of the tracks (the guitar with the capo) could come down some. I'll consider adding piano to a future version, but I think I'll keep this one just acoustic guitar. But I agree, the piano would add a nice touch. :)

you have a nice voice, enjoyed that.

Thank you. :) It's nice to hear the good comments on my voice, because I've never believed vocals to be my strong point. I am primarily a lead guitarist, but lately have been getting into the whole "solo acoustic singer" deal.

Based on the positive feedback I have received, there will be more to come.. Heck, might even throw out an original eventually. :thumbup

Thanks again everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Vocals sound good, but the guitar is driving me nuts. Take the mic you used to record the vocals, and stick it in front of the 12th fret of your guitar about half a foot away. Record that instead of direct in. :thumbup

Thanks for the advice. :)

The guitar tone has always bothered me a little going direct, but I guess I just got used to it. At one point, I tried placing a mic in front of the hole, but it sounded like ass. I will try placing it in front of the 12th fret. Thanks again! :thumbup