BLU-RAY or HD DVD?

BLU-RAY or HD DVD?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

• BLU-RAY
    • HD DVD
    • Neither, just my regular DVD thanks
    • Don't care

Paramount & Dreamworks remain HD I believe, Wal-Mart announced awhile back that they would favor HD DVD, but with Apple announcing at Macworld that they will have blu-ray players in their computers, that puts alot of folks in the blu-ray camp. Blockbuster only has Blu_ray, I dont know what netflix offers.

Blu-Ray Board of Directors (For What its Worth)-

Apple, Inc.

Dell

HP

Hitachi

LG

Mitsubishi Electric

Panasonic

Pioneer

Philips

Samsung

Sharp

Sony

Sun Microsystems

TDK

Thomson

Twentieth Century Fox

Walt Disney

Warner Bros.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paramount & Dreamworks remain HD I believe, Wal-Mart announced awhile back that they would favor HD DVD, but with Apple announcing at Macworld that they will have blu-ray players in their computers, that puts alot of folks in the blu-ray camp. Blockbuster only has Blu_ray, I dont know what netflix offers.

Blockbuster Online (the mail service) has both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Netflix has both formats too. (I have subscriptions to both.)

I was in the HD-DVD camp based purely on specs & cost, but last fall I started to suspect that Sony's Blu-Ray marketing push would tip the scales, and it looks like I was right. That plus the Playstation 3 that showed up under our Xmas tree this year have sealed the deal for me.

The Consumer Electronics Show is buzzing with the Warner news.

no they don't

Well except the fact that you can go to a Blockbuster store and get free rentals, they both rent dvds online in the same fashion. Just wondering why a person would need subs to both companies. Why not increase the number of rentals at one place? What am I missing?

blockbuster has some "exclusive" movies, not that any of those titles are worth it, but for instance, the Death Proof version at Blockbuster has more special features and a kitchen sink, if that type of thing matters to you. Yes they have many of the same titles, but at least Block has some things only available with them, so maybe thats why

blockbuster has some "exclusive" movies, not that any of those titles are worth it, but for instance, the Death Proof version at Blockbuster has more special features and a kitchen sink, if that type of thing matters to you. Yes they have many of the same titles, but at least Block has some things only available with them, so maybe thats why

The "exclusive" titles have to be so rare, cant be worth it. But I guess if you watch a ton of movies, having both subs means you are able to get anything out there. Seems like overkill to me, but if you have the money to spare why not.

Also the news about Warner going Blu-ray feels big. I hope this does it. Just want a secure format we can accept, prices need to come down.

I have found mountains of titles at Netflix that Blockbuster Online doesn't stock. For someone interested in the entirety of cinema, there's a big difference between the two services.

I have found mountains of titles at Netflix that Blockbuster Online doesn't stock. For someone interested in the entirety of cinema, there's a big difference between the two services.

Yeah that is true. I have used both services. Netflix has alot bigger selection, but Blockbuster growing fast. Good to have the competition for low prices. I am with Netflix at the moment.

Well except the fact that you can go to a Blockbuster store and get free rentals, they both rent dvds online in the same fashion. Just wondering why a person would need subs to both companies. Why not increase the number of rentals at one place? What am I missing?

I have a one-month free trial subscription to Blockbuster, and a regular membership to Netflix. I signed up for the free trial so we wouldn't run out of movies over the holidays. Plan to cancel when it's up as I prefer Netflix.

Thanks - I don't know shit about video games.

These new game systems have the capabilities to play movies so they double as movie players.

2 major ones are Microsoft Xbox and Sony Playstation. Multi-Billion Dollar industry.

Look at the this news. I think this is the unofficial end to HD-DVD.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080109/tc_cm...vQ891vsfzQjtBAF

Samsung BD-UP5500

I actually due most of my watching on my computer - as all I really own are music related dvds, and I like to crank it.

I suppose blu-ray discs will not play in my Dell.

That is expensive because it is a Combo unit playing both Bluray and HD-DVD. Once HD-DVD gets eliminated and people start buying Bluray, all prices will drop.

You need a bluray player for the computer which is probably also expensive at this point. The storage capacity will be so nice once this becomes more mainstream and defined. I think they are still working on standards for Bluray.

Starting to look like HD-DVD is done...Variety is reporting that Paramount and Universal are set to switch to Blu-Ray.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797876...yid=20&cs=1