• BLU-RAY
    • HD DVD
    • Neither, just my regular DVD thanks
    • Don't care

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just voted, and I voted for HD DVD.

I have seen neither format in operation. But my brain works like this, "I just want a winner in the battle, and the sooner it happens the sooner I can buy future DVDs in comfort, without worrying that I've pissed a lot of money up the wall on the wrong discs and the wrong hardware."

Like I said I just want a clear winner, and a winner that will let me play my existing normal DVDs on it - I'm more than happy with picture and sound of normal DVDs.

The reason for voting for HD DVD is based on the fact that, here in Europe, the HD DVDs are currently outselling Blu Ray by eleven to one. Also the head of Blu Ray for Sony recently said that he wished, in hindsight, that they had worked together at developing a single format. Also, I'm interested in buying an XBox.

All of the "experts" advise consumers to wait it out. A decent upconverting DVD player costs about $60 and regular DVDs look pretty darn good.

There's only Blu-Ray in my house (son's PS3) but 2 reasons to root for HD DVD:

1) HD DVD discs are region-free. You can buy a movie in Europe and it'll work in your North American player. But Blu-Ray discs are locked to a specific geographic region.

2) SONY. The same people who brought us proprietary stuff like ATRAC, Betamax, Memory Stick, CDs with root kits, etc. They really like to shove their technology down the consumer's throat and the public usually rejects it in the long run.

1) HD DVD discs are region-free. You can buy a movie in Europe and it'll work in your North American player. But Blu-Ray discs are locked to a specific geographic region.

2) SONY. The same people who brought us proprietary stuff like ATRAC, Betamax, Memory Stick, CDs with root kits, etc. They really like to shove their technology down the consumer's throat and the public usually rejects it in the long run.

Yes and Yes. I took the HD DVD plunge over the holidays and it sure is awesome. I can't believe how much better it looks and sounds.

I'm waiting, but I'm gettin' antsy.

mee tttooo

I want Zodiac director's cut and 3:10 man, wouldn't this be cool on a new format? so buy the regulars or just rent and wait!!! Stop the Madness!

AMan is on his way here, to direct you all to a lengthy thread that already happened about this topic.

sorry i looked for it, guess those search engines need a tune up

Why aren't we just working on making video downloads a reality? Why would I buy a different format player when I'm almost certain everything will be digitally distributed in less than three years?

No way will it be that fast. Think about the bandwidth and speed needed to stream or transfer Hi-Def DVD quality and where we are today.

At this point, Bluray or HD-DVD is the new technology. I see some type of memory card replacing discs as the next step in technology. It will be along time before internet speed and Harddrive space can be big enough to easily replace those things.

Once you experience Hi-Def for a bit, you will realize how much better it is.

To ammend my post, I should have said everything will be available as a digital download. There will still be people who buy discs of whatever kind, but I'll get by with HD On Demand or whatever. Kind of like I do now. I should also note that I almost never watch movies at home, so I pretty much only care about this for video gaming purposes.

my brother and i got the new Samsung HD/Blu Ray player that was released just before the holidays for my dad for christmas--rumor has it that only one machine was sent to each best buy as a "display" machine..my brother snatched his out of a cart at a best buy in DC and lugged it home because i couldnt find it anywhere around here. i will tell you though, its freaking amazing. we've played both HD and Blu Ray discs on it, and honestly im not really savvy enough about this stuff to be able to tell you the difference...but where you see it is in the newer movies that have actually been FILMED digitally (we watched 300 on blu ray and i was blown away) so my vote stands with blu ray in that regard. but its nice to have a machine that will play either one, regardless of which comes out on top in the end

I think cds and dvds will be gone in the next ______years - does not NetFlix and whoever else already do a download deal?

I have never seen anything in blu-ray or hd-dvd before.

Netflix has some kind of Instant Play Option on a small portion of movies where you can watch movies instantly through the internet. Alot of the quality depends on your computer and internet speed. The power to make it great isnt there yet for a conventional home. I never used it because I rather watch movies at full quality on a home theatre system. Discs will be around for many years to come to be replaced by memory sticks/cards, which is what in for us for the forseeable future. The next move is to elimate mechanics, which is the spinning of the discs.

I believe this as the start of what is to come when internet speed gets faster. I think we all see the potential of the internet but the technology has to catch up to our imaginations. The internet is still a baby. Eventually the internet will be the center of all communications and the computer will be the center of all electronic control of a home.

Netflix has some kind of Instant Play Option on a small portion of movies where you can watch movies instantly through the internet.

They have recently (since its inception) changed this feature to be a big pile of stinking DRM-laden shit. I can't get the movies to play anymore.

They have recently (since its inception) changed this feature to be a big pile of stinking DRM-laden shit. I can't get the movies to play anymore.

Yup. I'm not even going to try that Netflix option. DVDs through the mail are just fine for now.

Aha - so much for that. I don't do Netflix or mess with renting movies or whatever - I just recall that they offer that service.

I think it will happen someday though - look at all the TV shows you can watch online now - legally.

We just got an HD-DVD player over the holidays because our old DVD player was showing its age. We went with HD-DVD for many of the reasons stated above. By the time the format issue is decided, we'll likely be ready to replace this player anyway. Since we rent DVDs, it doesn't affect our "collection" other than the 10 free HD-DVDs we got with the player.

The improvement in quality is definitely noticeable, we've done direct comparisons with non-HD and HD discs.

I picked up a Toshiba HD DVD player (A2) for $99 back around November 1st.

At that price, who cares?

Incidentally, I do love it. The difference is noticeable (on a big screen HDTV), though not necessary.

The most unexpected bonus was how much better my regular old DVDs looked, and I had a Samsung "upconvert" 1080 DVD player before. The Toshiba again does a noticeably better job at that.

Maybe the demo you saw wasnt a fair comparison cause they are both pretty similar quality. Not different enough to decide on level of quality.

I dont know what you mean by proprietary. Both Bluray and HD-DVD are open formats supported by major corps on both ends.

That is certainly possible