• BLU-RAY
    • HD DVD
    • Neither, just my regular DVD thanks
    • Don't care

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not generally a Sony fan -- their equipment is just not very good, despite what many people think. That said, from what I've read, Blu-Ray seemed the superior format. If this really does signal the end of the battle, I'm sad for the HD-DVD faction, but at least there's a winner and we can move on.

I wish Blu-Ray didn't have the region thing. Also, does anyone know anything about DRM on Blu-Ray discs?

I wish Blu-Ray didn't have the region thing. Also, does anyone know anything about DRM on Blu-Ray discs?

Both HD DVD and Blu Ray have the capabilities to have DRM on them, but I think its mandatory that all Blu-ray discs have DRM on them. And you wonder why the stuidos choose BluRay...

I have an HD DVD player and one of the best features was that there was no problem with DRM and it is region free, meaning if you got a foreign film it would play just fine. Kind of seems like something a movie player should do, IMO, since I'm buying it. Crazy thing that DRM.

Toshiba's HD-DVD makes a move. I guess here comes everything they got. Slashin prices. I think this is a last attempt at saving themselves and dont see it working. I already see bluray players and discs coming down. Amazon is having a sale right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hd_dvd_price_cu...MWu8MM2s5kjtBAF

Gotta clear out inventory *sigh

blu ray just feels like a fraud to me, i don't know why, but my gut tells me to wait even longer

It's too late for me, just bought a Playstation 3. 40GB version for $300. Nice price.

Spiderman 3 looks crisp. Also upconverts regular DVDs. The games look so nice also. Pretty happy with my purchase.

I was a HD-DVD fan all along, but really felt the Warner news was huge so I defected also. HD-DVD, I think should have won because of price and technology but seems like Bluray made the right moves. Now that I picked a side, I really hope Blu-ray doesnt screw up in the ending parts of this battle.

• 3 weeks later...
Netflix says chooses Blu-ray format over HD DVD

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:29am EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online video rental company Netflix Inc (NFLX.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Monday it would exclusively stock Blu-ray high-definition DVDs after a decision by some the world's biggest movie studios in favor of the Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) developed format.

Netflix has stocked DVDs using both Blu-ray and the competing HD DVD format developed by Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) since they first came on the market in early 2006.

Four out of six major Hollywood studios have recently decided to publish high-definition DVDs only using Blu-ray.

Netflix said that with such a clear signal from the industry, it will only buy Blu-ray discs going forward and will phase out stock of HD DVD by about the end of the year.

I work at BB and we haven't gone any which way yet. The past 2 weeks actually has led up to my location moving ALL the dvd's around so we have a complete aisle side for Blu-Ray and across from it is one for HD....mind you EVERY title is facing out because we don't have enough for full aisles on either side. It looks really crap. I should take a photo to show you. The aisle on both sides is about 3/5's down and then we have room at the end with empty shelves.

source

With HD DVD, things are just going from bad, to really bad, to worse, to car-crash-you-can't-stop-looking-at. You can file this one under that latter category, as Wal-Mart has officially announced its intentions to stop stocking HD DVD players and movies by June. According to reports, the retailer came to the decision after Netflix and Best Buy made announcements concerning their position in the HD format war. Susan Chronister of Wal-Mart wrote on the company's blog, "By June Wal-Mart will only be carrying Blu-ray movies and hardware machines, and of course standard-def movies, DVD players, and up-convert players." Susan went on to deliver what we consider a total burn by adding, "if you bought the HD [DVD] player like me, I'd retire it to the bedroom, kid's playroom, or give it to your parents to play their John Wayne standard-def movies, and make space for a BD player." Look, we're not gonna say that this is it for HD DVD, but... uh, it doesn't look real great.
  • 4 weeks later...

I ended up with a Panasonic Blu Ray player, BD-30. Got a steal of a deal on it, and so far I'm glad I did. It's awesome, too awesome? perhaps. My TV rocks with it, I run it through a Pioneer Plasma, and the upconvert, on Criterions and other SD dvd's is nice. The Darjeeling standard dvd looked great on

it.