I have recently become obsessed with Nilsson. And, as I only own a few of his albums, this is my own selfish way of finding out which are the ones that I need to get (next -- because I am going to get them all eventually).

So, of what I've heard so far, I'd rank them:

Son Of Schmilsson

Nilsson Schmilsson

Pandemonium Shadow Show

Aerial Ballet

The Point

Pandemonium Aerial Ballet

and that's all that I own.

Now, rank and discuss, please.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently become obsessed with Nilsson. And, as I only own a few of his albums, this is my own selfish way of finding out which are the ones that I need to get (next -- because I am going to get them all eventually).

Son Of Schmilsson

Nilsson Schmilsson

Pandemonium Shadow Show

Aerial Ballet

The Point

Schmilsson is fantastic

i remember Richard Perry, who produced most of Nilsson's stuff, saying Schmilsson was the best record he ever did and Son of was the worst

Jump into the Fire is probably my favorite Nilsson song.

Coconut ... the only top-10 hit ever with one chord? (C7)

harry put out a lot of uneven stuff, but he was a brilliant, inventive, groundbreaking songwriter and performer, and Nilson Schmilsson was by far his best. great record

As a fellow Harry obsessive, I too am slowly trying to get everything the man has put out (good and bad, I want to hear it all.) Harry is definitely in my top 10 all-time favorite musicians, and one of my biggest musical inspirations.

Going through his discography, I see I have the majority of the records (ones in bold I still need to get.)

* Hollywood Dreamer (Recorded In 1962)

* Spotlight on Nilsson (1966) (Tower Records)

* Pandemonium Shadow Show (1967) (RCA Records)

* Aerial Ballet (1968) (RCA Records)

* Skidoo (soundtrack) (1968) (RCA Records)

* Harry (1969) (RCA Records)

* Nilsson Sings Newman (1970)

* The Point! (1971) (RCA Records)

* Aerial Pandemonium Ballet (1971)

* Nilsson Schmilsson (1971)

* Son of Schmilsson (1972) (RCA Records)

* A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night (1973) (RCA Records)

* Son of Dracula (1974) (RCA Records)

* Pussy Cats (1974) (RCA Records)

* Duit on Mon Dei (1975) (RCA Records)

* Sandman (1976) (RCA Records)

* …That's the Way It Is (1976) (RCA Records)

* Knnillssonn (1977) (RCA Records)

* Flash Harry (1980) (not released in USA) (Mercury Records)

* A touch More Schmilsson in the Night (1988) (BMG Records)

* Presence of Christmas (1996) (Dove)

Of the ones missing from your collection Todd, I would go for these ones next (roughly in that order):

Harry

Nilsson Sings Newman

Pussy Cats

Sandman

Duit on Mon Dei

A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night

There's also some cool bootlegs out there. I found one on Dimeadozen called "Demo Session for The Monkees (1967-03-17)" which is pretty cool.

Also, the "Purple Chick Harryties (10 CDs)" is worth checking out (I found them at a site called Demonoid. I believe I have an invite for the site if you need one.) These discs cover the majority of unreleased or out-of-print records, and collect an assortment of demos and live appearances too.

Another one worth checking out is the collection of Harry TV appearances (also on that site.) Some cool footage, everything from his appearance on Hugh Hefner's "Playboy After Dark," to the Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour.

Harry & Nilsson Sings Newman - which you can get on a 2 for 1 cd (which is probably where you got all those other albums from, i know i did) - are my favourite albums of his. you should try and get them as soon as you can.

Just bought the twofer from Amazon. Anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Thanks for the recs.

And, I will be getting more (all, most likely) at some point.

But, this wasn't supposed to be just a recommendation thread, but a discussion of this brilliant artist.

Anyone got anything else?

I have become utterly smitten with Harry Nilsson over the last year or two. I went sorta off the deep end and have been collecting the BMG Japan imports, remastered to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the debut. Plus they have bonus tracks! Outtakes, alternate versions, etc. The sound on these is excellent, and they are so cute, too - tiny versions of the original LP covers. I have:

1967 Pandemonium Shadow Show

1968 Aerial Ballet

1969 Harry

1970 The Point!

1971 Nilsson Schmilsson

1971 Aerial Pandemonium Ballet

1972 Son of Schmilsson

1973 A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night

1974 Son of Dracula

1974 Pussy Cats

1975 Sandman

There is nothing better than the harmonies he sings ... with himself, right? Is it correct that I read somewhere he was one of the first artists to do that, layer on his own harmonies?

I'm old enough to remember "Nilsson Schmilsson" and "Son of Schmillson" being released, and I loved those two, but that was the end of my curiosity about him until recently. When I hear those songs from those two albums today, it's like an instant time machine for me, throwing me back to those days of innocence and zero responsibilities of being 15, 16 years old. We used to play "Gotta Get Up" at the crack of dawn in the summer when we had fallen asleep on the Peace Boat - a pontoon boat some of our boyfriends at the lake had transformed into a giant black box, a floating party room with a white peace sign painted on the sides. Our parents feared what was going on in the Peace Boat, but at least they knew where we were. It had an 8-track stereo, shag carpet, bean bags and lava lamps (no, I'm not kidding!) and it had a ladder leading up to the flat roof which we laid out on the sun on, and jumped into the fire (no, I mean the lake) after a bit of underage drinking etc (:blush). Oh, where is Miss Jayne? She remembers this well. I always wonder what happened to the Peace Boat. Luckily, most of us are still around to reminisce about those beautiful days ... "beautiful and stoned" indeed. :stunned

I also have these releases, and if anyone wanted to just buy one compilation CD, I like "Personal Best - The Harry Nilsson Anthology" a lot.

1970 Nilsson Sings Newman

1995 Personal Best - The Harry Nilsson Anthology

e35430fz627.jpg

Son Of Schmilsson

Nilsson Schmilsson

Pandemonium Shadow Show

Aerial Ballet

The Point

Sounds like you bought 4 of his albums since last year

Come on Pop Todd. What's the verdict?

I have yet to hear Skidoo, but I can say with certainty that the Harry/Nilsson Sings Newman 2-fer is very-well worth it.

I have yet to hear Skidoo, but I can say with certainty that the Harry/Nilsson Sings Newman 2-fer is very-well worth it.

That's what I'm thinking. I listened to some snippets of Harry last night and they sounded pretty damn good.

I've been listening to Pandemonium Shadow Show and Aerial Ballet since Friday. Jesus this guy is good. I can't believe I hadn't heard of Nilsson before this forum. I'll rank all the albums I have so far.

1. Aerial Ballet

2. Pandemonium Shadow Show

3. Nilsson Schmilsson

4. Son of Schmilsson

Got Harry/Nilsson sings Newman and Scaddo/The Point coming from Amazon.

Man his vocals are amazing and I love his scatting at the end of his songs. It's all pure ear candy so far.

I've been listening to Pandemonium Shadow Show and Aerial Ballet since Friday. Jesus this guy is good. I can't believe I hadn't heard of Nilsson before this forum. I'll rank all the albums I have so far.

1. Aerial Ballet

2. Pandemonium Shadow Show

3. Nilsson Schmilsson

4. Son of Schmilsson

Got Harry/Nilsson sings Newman and Scaddo/The Point coming from Amazon.

Man his vocals are amazing and I love his scatting at the end of his songs. It's all pure ear candy so far.

All of that, plus... his sense of humor.

Neko covers Nilisson on her new album.....

Nilisson sings Newman is really not that great. Better to stick with the real Randy Newman. I have a copy of that album, but I remember listening to it the first time way back when trying to figure out what the fuck.....but it is an early example of someone paying tribute to a fellow songwriter and that is kind of cool. I do like the piano on it which happens to be Randy himself.

Slight edit - I listened to this today while I was working at home. I still don't think it is that great, but it isn't bad. I just think Randy does his songs better himself.

LouieB

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally! The documentary will be released!

:wub

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?) Doc to Premiere Sept. 10

On Sept. 10, Lorber Films will debut its latest film, a documentary examining its title’s question: Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin’ About Him)? It will delve into the professional portion of this question, looking at Nilsson’s career as a Grammy-winning singer-songwriter, as well as the musician’s personal life, including his close friendship with members of the Beatles.

The documentary will include interviews (including Terry Gilliam, Yoko Ono, Randy Newman, Paul Williams and Brian Wilson), previously unreleased archive footage, home movies and parts of Nilsson’s own personal autobiography, which was recently discovered. John Scheinfeld, who has been nominated for both a Grammy and an Emmy, directed the film.

Who Is Harry Nilsson? will open in New York’s Cinema Village and will spread to other markets in the United States throughout the fall and winter.

More good news regarding the Harry Nilsson documentary. It's finally getting a DVD release on October 26, 2010. :dancing

You can pre-order it on amazon.com: Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?

My Harry fandom seems to know no bounds as I recently ordered the 13 2007 Japanese Mini-LP 24-bit remasters I was missing from my collection (there's 15 all together.) These releases sound great and have more bonus tracks than any of the previous releases. Also, the replica artwork of the original LPs these come housed in is really fantastic.

With the recent reissue of "Spotlight on Nilsson" it seems the only Nilsson not currently available on retail CD is "Son of Dracula" and "Flash Harry." "Son..." was supposed to be part of the 2007 Japanese remasters but got pulled for some reason. I guess I'll have to live with my bootleg releases of both until a reissue comes forth.

"Son..." was supposed to be part of the 2007 Japanese remasters but got pulled for some reason. I guess I'll have to live with my bootleg releases of both until a reissue comes forth.

Apple Films' modern day vampire movie, Son Of Dracula, starring Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr, is largely considered one of the worst, though, it's fascinating simply because of that. As for the soundtrack album... it's primarily for completists (or Paul Buckmaster fans), as it contains previously released tracks mixed with film dialog, incidental music and one new addition, the single, "Daybreak" - a likable hit that simultaneously reflected the movie's theme and Harry's all night lifestyle at the same time. But Son Of Dracula (the album), self-produced by Harry & Ringo, is also interesting as another example of Harry's penchant for "remixing" his own work, this time alongside the album's avant garde score written & arranged by Paul Buckmaster (of Elton John fame). Buckmaster had previously arranged the strings for Nilsson's biggest hit, "Without You," which is also included on this LP. It's just too bad that reissues have yet to include Buckmaster's incidental score, sans voices. In what was starting to become a trend, Son Of Dracula tested the patience of RCA Records once again with an independent unpredictability that Harry's fans continued to find irresistible. Old school vinyl people can still grab the SOD vinyl rip @320. The Japanese Son Of Dracula CD rip @320 is much nicer

http://rapidshare.com/files/110118195/HN-SOD_vinyl_1974.zip.html

Japanese:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LM6KX5SD