Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac [Deluxe Edition]

the ryan in whiskeytown was a completely different person that Ryan in the cardinals. I dont know him personally but musicially they seem different. i like both versions for what they are but i miss the Whiskeytown days. i loved that type of americana, folk rock, female-male harmonies, violin....it was great!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love (most of) Ryan's solo material, but he's still not made a record that I treasure like I do Strangers Almanac.

I agree. Oddly enough, I was really into his solo work, then the Cardinals stuff before listening to Strangers Almanac. It really is a wonderful album.

Strangers Almanac was my introduction to RA, though it would be some time before I knew who he was as opposed to the band collectively. I remember a guy at a party in 1997 telling me about Whiskeytown. Shortly thereafter, the band played live on Vin Scelsa's Idiot's Delight radio show (http://www.engineerpaul.com/bands/pages/whiskeytown.html), and I was hooked. I caught the band at the Theater of the Living Arts in Philly in April 1998, and it remains one of the dozen or so shows in my top five. It's one of those times when an album struck me as something special and I was lucky to see that band in a small club playing most of that album. Even though I haven't listened to it much of late, Strangers will always be a favorite of mine.

• 1 month later...

Since the place I buy cds is no longer buying new stuff (again) - I have to wait. Is there a nice book in it? I was researching some prices online last night - and some places had it for 23 dollars.

Since the place I buy cds is no longer buying new stuff (again) - I have to wait. Is there a nice book in it? I was researching some prices online last night - and some places had it for 23 dollars.

I bought it on iTunes and there isn't a digital booklet. The sound is great and it's tough to beat the number of songs for $15.99. I always have a tough time buying a reissue of something that I already have but this was pretty worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some stuff about the making of the album in the Ryan Adams book - I can't recall what it is though. I have always heard he did not get along with Phil. Cary and Skillet are actually married now.

What Ryan Adams book are you referring to?

This one? http://www.amazon.com/Ryan-Adams-Michael-H...4731&sr=1-2

Is it any good?

Yes - that one. There is a lot of information about his early life - I don't recall the rest.

I snagged the bonus tracks the other day - nice to hear them instead of the transcoded Mp3 files I have had for a few years. Indian Gown - I love that song.

• 1 month later...