andrew bird played the zoo in brisbane last night and what a show it was!

it was such an enjoyable performance with an appreciative, although small, crowd (most people were up the road at another venue for the sufjan stevens show - yes, they clashed :ohwell - but at least i get to travel to sydney to see sufjan on the weekend, lucky me :thumbup )

so thanks vc for introducing me to mr bird - couldn't imagine my musical life without him, so i hope he comes back to oz real soon

I too wish to thank VC for introducing me to Andrew Bird, I have been listening to him non-stop for the past two months or so. The Fingerlings 3 version of Scythian Empire is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Come to think of it, this is where I started reading about AB. Then I snagged the Eggs CD at work for a buck, and the rest is history.

Noticed Neko Case copped a photo credit on The Swimming Hour. 11:11's amazing.

Did you know that the initial citation that Barney gave Goober on the "Citizen's Arrest" episode was a 9-11? Kinda makes ya think. Sleeper cell in Mayberry?

It is so interesting how Bird has built a following over alot of years. He is certainly not an overnight success, which is cool. I remember seeing him for the first time at Metro (he opened for two other bands and stop me if you have heard this story before) thinking he was already a big star of some sort because he was on Rykodisk with his group Bowl of Fire and he said that Metro was the largest venue he had ever played up to that point. This was a pretty long time ago (maybe 10 or so years...) The last time I saw him was at the Hideout block party which was pretty crowded and outdoors, playing to thousands. He deserves the attention that is for sure.

LouieB

so thanks vc for introducing me to mr bird - couldn't imagine my musical life without him, so i hope he comes back to oz real soon

I think VC is responsible for at least 80% of what I listen to these days, including Andrew.

The first time I tried to see him live was about a year and a half ago. I got to the venue (capacity around 500) to find out the show was sold out. Boo. Next time I tried to see him was last winter after we were hit with two rather uncharacteristic blizzards. He was opening for our local DeVotchKa at the Ogden (capacity around 800) but due to Denver's pathetic plowing system I couldn't find parking and missed his set. As they say, the third time's a charm, and I finally saw him last April in Boulder at the Fox Theatre (capacity around 700) at a sold out show.

My points being, that he is definitely on the rise and that he is amazing live.

The end.