Got a promo through this week - it's really, really good. I don't know much about their previous work, but this album is very good.

There is a review of it over at Drowned In Sound already:

http://www.drownedinsound.com/release/view/12191

HelioSequence-LoveAndDistance.jpg

Their last disc, 'Love and Distance', was fantastic...it struck me as vintage U2 (sometimes the Cure) meets postal service in spots and the one previous to that ('Young Effectuals') is solid too. They've been throwing in less and less electronic flourishes w/ each release and really seem to to be honing a more organic, but equally as interesting, sound.

This disc is a great way to kick off the year. Definitely reccomend checking out their previous releases, especially L&D, as well.

el F i'll back you in the fanboy/girl area. i LOVE this band. most recently i saw them a couple of times in november. they were opening for a band i'd never heard, but went to two shows in different cities just to see them. they played a few songs from the new record which i remember liking. very excited for this cd. :dancing :dancing

when they are feeling good (the guitarist had some serious concern for his singing voice during a tour, and you could tell), they are terrific on stage.

side note: "let it fall apart" has been my theme for the WGA strike.

since reading this thread, have been binge listening to "love and distance." :music

there are a few jan/feb west coast area tour dates listed here:

helio sequence tour dates

the los angeles date is JUST AFTER that wilco stand in chicago. :whew i've missed two of HS's shows (TWO) due to scheduling conflicts.

• 2 weeks later...

bought the new album last night.

boy howdy, it's terrific! and beautiful! acoustic tracks? who knew?!

man, brandon's vocals sound fine! he's really developing his technique. :music

• 1 month later...

have been binge listening to this for days now!

can't decide if it's heartbreakingly sad or h-breakingly hopeful.

i love the last track, "no regrets." doubt we'll ever get to see this one live, but one can hope!

also: saw the two shows in my area last week. looks like after their european tour, they'll be touring the u.s. again in the summer. WOO!

full disclosure: have been trying to talk myself out of seeing the two arizona shows. still not convinced i should stay home. :lol

• 3 months later...

while i didn't attend those arizona shows back in march, i WILL be seeing two more shows this weekend as helio s. rolls into los angeles again! :dancing :dancing

anyone else gonna be @ echoplex tonight or detroit bar on saturday?

while i didn't attend those arizona shows back in march, i WILL be seeing two more shows this weekend as helio s. rolls into los angeles again! :dancing :dancing

anyone else gonna be @ echoplex tonight or detroit bar on saturday?

I will be at Detroit Bar tomorrow night. I'm very excited!!! :thumbup

I saw them at the Empty Bottle a month a go and it was a damn fine show. The drummer is like a human metronome. The two albums they have out are outstanding. What a great band.

I will be at Detroit Bar tomorrow night. I'm very excited!!! :thumbup

:w00t hooray! keep an eye out for me. i look a lot like this--> :banana

everytime i listen to the new record, i play it at least twice. everytime i see this band, i want to see them again the next night.

szabo, the drummer plays amazing complex rhythms. he just kills me.

i did catch myself hollering out in response to some fantastic music making last night. :lol

I saw them at the Empty Bottle a month a go and it was a damn fine show. The drummer is like a human metronome. The two albums they have out are outstanding. What a great band.

did brandon s play the acoustic guitar at all? last night he came out alone for the first song of the encore and played "broken afternoon" on it. still playing "shed your love" in the electric arrangement, tho.

hey! welcome to los angeles markosis! that you found the entrance to the echoplex is quite a mean feat for someone new to town. :cheers

wish i'd known you would be there, would have bought you a welcome-wagon beer!

met el pic. last night.

WHAT A FANTASTIC SHOW!

am currently talking myself out of driving two hours to solana beach to see them tonight. :ermm ( :banana )

ps. upon review: at the show last night, i did look an awful lot like that dancing banana. except with hair.

hey! welcome to los angeles markosis! that you found the entrance to the echoplex is quite a mean feat for someone new to town

Thanks. Yeah, it wasn't easy. My uncle (who is from LA, mind you) and I drove all over Glendale Blvd looking for Sunset, and we were baffled that Sunset didn't intersect Glendale. Then we found out it crossed over Glendale Blvd.

Well, I'm definitely going to see Sera Cahoone on the 27th and/or Fleet Foxes on the 28th, so I'll take my welcome beer then :).

hey! welcome to los angeles markosis! that you found the entrance to the echoplex is quite a mean feat for someone new to town. :cheers

met el pic. last night.

WHAT A FANTASTIC SHOW!

am currently talking myself out of driving two hours to solana beach to see them tonight. :ermm ( :banana )

ps. upon review: at the show last night, i did look an awful lot like that dancing banana. except with hair.

Yvon, It was nice to meet you last night. Next time I will say hi before the end of the show. I wanted to make sure I was introducing myself to the right person, so not to embarrass myself to a stranger. The banana camparison gave you away :lol

The show was great! I missed them last time they played at our little Detroit Bar but I won't miss them again. You were right about the drummer, he really got me going. Needless to say, I am feeling the afterglow from a fantastic Helio Sequence show :)

if i'd given it some thought we could worn carnations to ID one another. :lol glad you said hello even if it was at the end of the show. i had no idea what you looked like. i considered yelling "vc!" one time in the crowd to see if anyone looked up. :monkey

i've gotten to be a big fan of detroit bar. such a cool set up in there. i keep my eye on the schedule there.