2008 NFL Champions  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• New England Patriots
    • New York Giants

Please note:

Peyton threw 49 touchdowns in 15 games. And in only 497 attempts. Brady 578 attempts 16 games.

Also with the opportunity to break the record in game 14 Peyton took a knee with the ball in the red zone. Something New England would never think of doing.

Pre-Colts superbowl New England fans (specifically Bill Simmons) called Manning a stats whore. However near the end of the season when Brady was lobbing up touchdown passes from the 1 yard line Simmons and the rest of the Pats fan the same name did not apply.

Fuckin a', man. That was beautiful.

Off topic: I need to read The Blind Side. It has been billed as the Moneyball of football. It makes the point that the the most important player on the field is the left tackle, something that I've considered before. It's supposed to be an incredible book.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note:

Peyton threw 49 touchdowns in 15 games. And in only 497 attempts. Brady 578 attempts 16 games.

Also with the opportunity to break the record in game 14 Peyton took a knee with the ball in the red zone. Something New England would never think of doing.

Pre-Colts superbowl New England fans (specifically Bill Simmons) called Manning a stats whore. However near the end of the season when Brady was lobbing up touchdown passes from the 1 yard line Simmons and the rest of the Pats fan the same name did not apply.

So what you

Well....debating who is an all time great and the best ever etc, etc, etc is fun and great for sports arguments, and you can rag on Bellicheck. That being said (and yeah I'm a Pats fan) I doubt there are more than a handful of people who wouldn't want either one on the team they root for.

Anyways....You gotta hand it to the Giants, they simply outplayed the Pats and deservedly won. Like everyone else I still can't believe that Eli didn't get sacked and how the hell did that guy Tyree make that catch....pretty incredible stuff.......bastards :stunned

Did the Patriots start winning becuase of Brady, or because of genius/cheater Bill Bellichek?

Brady is smart. He's talented. He's definitely one of the best in the league. But when I watch him, that's all I think. I don't feel like I'm watching greatness like when I watched Elway or Favre or Marino or Montana. I think a number of quarterbacks over the years could have replicated what Brady has done with the coaching staff and solid players in the organization.

How would you compare Brady to Bernie Kosar?

Sounds like a funny comparison, but Kosar ran into 3 Elway teams that beat him in the AFC Championship....2 of which had amazing Elway drives to win the games. Kosar was a very smart and talented quarterback, but I don't hear many lumping him in with the greats of all time. Kosar had a great coaching staff, great defense, great fans and great players around him.

Brady reminds a bit of Kosar, with the exception Brady has a stronger arm. But Kosar had more running ability.

This debate could go on forever, but with the Patriots, I see a great team. I don't think of them as "Tom Brady and the Patriots".

Yeah, he's a dink.

Simmons used to be pretty witty, observant, and enjoyable to read. He jumped the shark a few years ago when he went to L.A. to work with Kimmel and write from there, imo. Still comes up with some decent columns now and then, but overall he's not much worth reading these days.

Did the Patriots start winning becuase of Brady, or because of genius/cheater Bill Bellichek?

I haven't heard anyone bring this up, but does anybody think that Bellichicks ego may have cost New England the game on Sunday?

I was very surprised that New England did not run the ball more, especially in the 2nd half. I know the Ginats shut down the run, but Maroney only had 14 carries. I was surprised that NE didn't come out on the 2nd half with a 7-3 lead and try run the ball with more 2 and 3 TE formations. Instead they continued to spread the formation and the Giants continued to pressure Brady. Just a thought.

Brady is smart. He's talented. He's definitely one of the best in the league. But when I watch him, that's all I think. I don't feel like I'm watching greatness like when I watched Elway or Favre or Marino or Montana. I think a number of quarterbacks over the years could have replicated what Brady has done with the coaching staff and solid players in the organization.

How would you compare Brady to Bernie Kosar?

Sounds like a funny comparison, but Kosar ran into 3 Elway teams that beat him in the AFC Championship....2 of which had amazing Elway drives to win the games. Kosar was a very smart and talented quarterback, but I don't hear many lumping him in with the greats of all time. Kosar had a great coaching staff, great defense, great fans and great players around him.

Brady reminds a bit of Kosar, with the exception Brady has a stronger arm. But Kosar had more running ability.

This debate could go on forever, but with the Patriots, I see a great team. I don't think of them as "Tom Brady and the Patriots".

As far as we know, the Patriots only taped plays during one game, The Jets. If you have evidence proving otherwise, by all means, let

Giants win costs Nevada books $2.6M

Posted: Tuesday February 5, 2008 9:58PM; Updated: Tuesday February 5, 2008 9:58PM

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Nevada sports books lost a record $2.6 million on Super Bowl bets when the New York Giants upset the New England Patriots on Sunday.

The sports books handled just more than $92 million on the game, the third-highest amount ever but down for the second consecutive year.

The record was set in 2006 when $94.5 million was bet.

The last time the books lost money was in 1995, when the San Francisco 49ers blew out the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, and Nevada books lost $400,000.

Nevada Gaming Control Board analyst Frank Streshley says large amounts were bet on the money line that the Giants would win outright.

The payouts on those bets were as large as four times the original bet because New England was such a huge favorite.

The game ended with the Giants winning 17-14.

no way.

From ESPN.com's Tuesday Morning QB column:

"But what a relief the season did not produce a tainted title team. New England's run at perfection has been a boon to NFL ratings, which hit all-time highs even as nearly all other television ratings are in decline. Surely the marketing possibilities for a 19-0 Patriots team would have been endless. But there would have been stigma, too. First, questions about New England's contempt for sportsmanship. The game when Belichick kept his starters on the field in the fourth quarter and had Tom Brady frantically throwing deep late to humiliate mild-mannered Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs by a final of 52-7 was one of the low moments in NFL history. It would have been repugnant if such terrible sportsmanship had been rewarded with a crown. Second and more important, for New England to win the league title in the same year the team admitted cheating would have led to a general sense the championship was phony. Now that the NFL has a genuine champion untainted by cheating, that problem is avoided."

The game when Belichick kept his starters on the field in the fourth quarter and had Tom Brady frantically throwing deep late to humiliate mild-mannered Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs by a final of 52-7 was one of the low moments in NFL history. It would have been repugnant if such terrible sportsmanship had been rewarded with a crown.

That was one of those things that really stood out for me this season regarding Belichick. You might get away with shit like that college ball (even then it's unjustifiable) but it really shows a lack of respect. Very unprofessional imo.

God I'm so glad Dungy is still the coach here.

From ESPN.com's Tuesday Morning QB column:

"But what a relief the season did not produce a tainted title team. New England's run at perfection has been a boon to NFL ratings, which hit all-time highs even as nearly all other television ratings are in decline. Surely the marketing possibilities for a 19-0 Patriots team would have been endless. But there would have been stigma, too. First, questions about New England's contempt for sportsmanship. The game when Belichick kept his starters on the field in the fourth quarter and had Tom Brady frantically throwing deep late to humiliate mild-mannered Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs by a final of 52-7 was one of the low moments in NFL history. It would have been repugnant if such terrible sportsmanship had been rewarded with a crown. Second and more important, for New England to win the league title in the same year the team admitted cheating would have led to a general sense the championship was phony. Now that the NFL has a genuine champion untainted by cheating, that problem is avoided."

Oh come on, playing an entire 60 minutes of football to the best of your abilities is one of the lowest moments in NFL history? Why is that more humiliating or degrading than intentionally throttling back, which is sort of the equivalent of saying,

no, it's not. you don't have an issue with the sanctioning of primarily poor people hitting each other

in the head and face? kind of pathetic position on the part on the wannabe uber liberal if you ask

me. football is played by people, despite the flaws in the system, at least who have a chance

of going to college.

no, it's not. you don't have an issue with the sanctioning of primarily poor people hitting each other

in the head and face? kind of pathetic position on the part on the wannabe uber liberal if you ask

me. football is played by people, despite the flaws in the system, at least who have a chance

of going to college.

How ironic, you've just described football.

how ironic, another thread where you're wrong and can't see it yet keep posting about a myriad of subjects in an attempt to hide the fact that you're just bitter you lost the original point. let me reiterate: the giants defeating the patriots is as big historically as if the patriots had won. I'd actually say it's bigger, as guys like you had them anointed as the all time undefeated champs. Perhaps later we can do a tribute to great mercury morris quotes of recent days.

I'm beginning to see the view of the chorus of people who have you on ignore.

PS. football players come through the college system, and at least have a chance for an education.

how ironic, another thread where you're wrong and can't see it yet keep posting about a myriad of subjects in an attempt to hide the fact that you're just bitter you lost the original point. let me reiterate: the giants defeating the patriots is as big historically as if the patriots had won. I'd actually say it's bigger, as guys like you had them anointed as the all time undefeated champs. Perhaps later we can do a tribute to great mercury morris quotes of recent days.

I'm beginning to see the view of the chorus of people who have you on ignore.

PS. football players come through the college system, and at least have a chance for an education.

What