Not a complaint (see other threads for that) but a request

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good job Louie I think that happened last night due to your leg work. Thanks for all of your generosity, it has been a real pleasure to hang out with you.,

see you soon, Greg

good job Louie I think that happened last night due to your leg work. Thanks for all of your generosity, it has been a real pleasure to hang out with you.,

see you soon, Greg

My pleasure. Hopefully we will have more time some day in the future. Have a good day off.....

LouieB

I agree with the fake encore thing but it does seem to be a fact of life these days. Following this discussion brought me back to my early days of rock concerts when encores were often real and inspired. There was an "anything can happen" feel to the end of a show.

Bruce Springsteen shows always seemed to hold that promise back in the 70s and 80s. After three hours of rockin, he would on rare occasions pull out "Quarter to Three" and it felt like the roof was gonna blow off. I also remember one time in Chicago when he clearly followed an impulse and played the CCR song "Who'll Stop the Rain". The band pretty much faked it along with him and he had to guess at some of the lyrics. Still, it felt like a magical moment.

One other testimonial to the old time authentic encore was a U2 show at First Avenue in 1981. It was their first tour in the US and they didn't have enough material for an encore so they played "I will Follow" for a second time, apologizing that they didn't know any other songs. I liked the fact that they gave the crowd more even though it was a repeat.

BTW, in defense of the fake encore if you have ever seen Van Morrison you get nothing. Just a thank you very much and he's gone. It's always sort of a let down even though I know that's how it will end.

holy wow. nice work louie.

being an old dead/jamband person ive always likes the two set + encore format. it works great

how long was the break between the first and second set?? did they turn the house lights up??

every jamband on earth plays this format

the break was 15-20 min.

i think its the best format and am so glad someone said something. Hopefully they keep the format and the songs and we get more varied sets. They have it down I don't know whats stopping them. I can't imagine they enjoy playing the same 35 or so songs every other night.

how long was the break between the first and second set?? did they turn the house lights up??
The first night was the shortest break, maybe only about 10 minutes. They did bring up the house lights, people did go to the bathrooms and got drinks and all and all the energy was better. Subsequent nights was slightly longer.

The drone at the end of the last night would have been a great way to out (empty stage and all), but getting a basically real encore after (two songs that were not on the setlist) that was a good way to go too.

Someone log on and let us know if this continues during the east coast leg of the tour.

LouieB

whatever happened to 2 sets?

Real enmcores bettter than fake. Last night's was real, good

Thought that worked out so well. Rick and I will be at the show Sunday and will let you know - thanks again Lou for being a great local host and historian for us. We better see you in Boston -

Louie, I think you got your wish. ;)

2-16-2008 Riviera - Best audience-induced encore EVER!!!

Yeah, Louie! Glad I was near you when it happened, too.