Further evidence of Bush

I see nothing wrong with seeking whatever punishment the law allows. The problem with any case is now will we let our legal process actually function as it was meant to function? Or will we have secret trials with secret evidence? The other issue I have, and this is the cynic in me, is why now after five six years in captivity? Is the administration going to try and time the trials so that convictions are arrived at in late October? Everything this administration does is done with politics in mind.

I wonder if Bush the christian has forgiven the 911 plotters? It would be an interesting question for someone to ask him. But he seems to only go for syncophantic interviewers, so i doubt he will ever face that question. If he has forgiven them it does not mean that civil punishement and civil accountability should nto occur, but it would reflect on the credibility of his christianity in my eyes.

I wonder if Bush the christian has forgiven the 911 plotters? It would be an interesting question for someone to ask him. But he seems to only go for syncophantic interviewers, so i doubt he will ever face that question. If he has forgiven them it does not mean that civil punishement and civil accountability should nto occur, but it would reflect on the credibility of his christianity in my eyes.

That was sort of my point

I dont believe in the death penalty. Killing someone doesnt solve murderous crimes.

I don't believe in it either, but it is the law of the land right now. I know as well as you and as well as the rest of the country that the death penalty has nothing to do with deterrance, it is all about revenge and biblical justice.

In a lecture on the Call for the Abolition of War http://www.idst.vt.edu/religious/pdfs/AbolitionofWar.pdf that he wrote with Enda McDonagh, Stanley Hauerwas said "I'm sure that George Bush is a sincere Christian--which goes to show how little sincerity has to do with Christianity." I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I like it.

I don't believe in it either, but it is the law of the land right now. I know as well as you and as well as the rest of the country that the death penalty has nothing to do with deterrance, it is all about revenge and biblical justice.

Revenge will only leave everyone dead.

Either way, as long as the death penalty exist, murderers will exist.

It is the law, so whatever.

The detainees should at least get marginal rights to due process...which they're not going to get.

Death penalty or not it's a damn shame.

The men will be treated like members of the U.S. military during their judicial proceedings, he said.

The proceedings will be dictated by the Military Commissions Act, which Congress passed to handle arrestees in the war on terror. The act requires that the detainees have access to lawyers as well as to any evidence presented against them.

They also will have the right to appeal a guilty verdict, potentially through a civilian appeals court and perhaps the U.S. Supreme Court, according to the act. The government plans to make the proceedings as public as possible, said Brig Gen. Thomas Hartmann.

The men will be treated like members of the U.S. military during their judicial proceedings, he said.

The proceedings will be dictated by the Military Commissions Act, which Congress passed to handle arrestees in the war on terror. The act requires that the detainees have access to lawyers as well as to any evidence presented against them.

They also will have the right to appeal a guilty verdict, potentially through a civilian appeals court and perhaps the U.S. Supreme Court, according to the act. The government plans to make the proceedings as public as possible, said Brig Gen. Thomas Hartmann.

Well, look, there's reason for skepticism here. They gave the detainees the right to challenge their incacerations. The defense lawyers in said challenges have said that the hearings are a sham--apparently the military will even pull them off if they're doing too good of a job.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=15783244

All Things Considered, October 30, 2007

Well, look, there's reason for skepticism here.

Agreed, there is always room for a healthy level of skepticism in everything. That said, i'm just posting from the same article that does state, whether you believe it or not, that there is supposed to be some level of due process allowed.

take the death penalty away, and murderers will continue to exist.

It would be a much less occurence. By justifying death penalty, we justify killing. We are lowering ourselves to the same level as the killers themselves. Reversing the death penalty is a step in the right direction.

It would be a much less occurence. By justifying death penalty, we justify killing. We are lowering ourselves to the same level as the killers themselves. Reversing the death penalty is a step in the right direction.

I feel there's nothing wrong with the death penalty. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=144 I've read this site, and I think it's a just punishment for the crimes covered. Does having it deter such crimes? Probably not, but abolishing it isn't going to help matters either.

It's arguable that life in an American prison would be far worse than death for these guys. I won't like the death penalty as long as there are innocent people on Death Row, but I don't see why we should turn these guys into martyrs.

I think the question of whether or not the death penalty is moral is sort of irrelevent until we can even find a system for administering it that is at all fair. The current system is so stacked against minorities and the poor that it would be comical if we were talking about something other than death. I'm not opposed to the death penalty inherently (although I do find it to be a bit creepy) but to me the morality of it is immaterial so long as the system is so screwed up.