Mobile, Houston, Des Moines

How is this possible? Have these people been even remotely tuned in to what has been taking place in Chicago during the last week?

Mobile's like a huge freakin' arena, I believe? Can't believe they still have concerts in that place.

I'd love to hit the Des Moines show, but getting there from St. Louis is a pain in the ass. It's all two-lane highways. No Amtrak. No Megabus. And flying? Over $400!

A friend of mine lives in Mobile, and she's always said it's just not a concert town. On the rare occasions when they do get decent acts in town, tickets sales are usually poor, and the crowds ill-behaved.

She's going to the Wilco show, though, and is stunned that they're actually playing Mobile.

i have been trying to con everyone i can intop going to Des Moines, adn no one will bite. and my wife certainly isn't gonna let me go by myself, adn won;t join me....... :(

How is this possible? Have these people been even remotely tuned in to what has been taking place in Chicago during the last week?

uhmm. yeah we've been 'remotely' tuned in. listening to the first 2 nites as i type. if you actually click on through you might find out that the houston show is in fact sold out. i'm guessin' they've been too busy to update the website lately. something about some 'residency' thing. we don't get much news here in the south ya know unless the am radio is tuned just right.

i do also realize that all the coolest people in the world must live in chicago where you have the greatest music scene, the greatest pizza, the greatest hot dogs, the greatest burritos etc. etc.

cheers,

b

A friend of mine lives in Mobile, and she's always said it's just not a concert town. On the rare occasions when they do get decent acts in town, tickets sales are usually poor, and the crowds ill-behaved.

She's going to the Wilco show, though, and is stunned that they're actually playing Mobile.

I live in Mobile, and I was pretty stunned, as well. I drove all the way to Meridian (Pat's homecoming gig, unbeknownst to me at the time) to see them a few years back based purely on the belief that it was probably as close as they were going to get. Needless to say, I did a double-take when I saw the show here pop up on the tour docket. Mobile is not really a hip music town. Its more of a Three Doors Down kinda place, you know? They've been making some strides recently, though.

As for the place not selling out yet: For one thing, I have no idea who's idea it was to use the Civic Center theatre. Outside of the fact that its a dump, it also seats about 200 more people than the Saenger, which is enough to make the difference between selling out and not in Mobile. That said, Mobile is also a walk-up town, so I'd expect them to do well the night of the show. I doubt they'll sell out, but the difference will probably be negligible. I hope at least.

Personally, I hope they don't sell out, at least not very soon, because I'm still trying to work out my schedule so that I can go.....It would really be shameful to miss Wilco 15 minutes from my house.

• 2 weeks later...