Background Check Advice Needed

Ok...so please tell me that I have a reason to be pissed off about this....

So I go into work today(family owned business) and they kinda nonchalantly mention that they are promoting a new hire to manager. Then they tell me that in order to promote this person, they will need to do a background check on her. Then they tell me that in order to avoid any trouble, that they will need to run a background check on everyone that is a current manager and/or who has keys to the place. So I'm cool with that, untill I read the form... They are asking me to sign a full disclosure agreement which entitles them to my criminal record (granted) and all fininancials and all school records and basically surrendering everything I have ever known that resembles anything that has to do with privacy. Now, I don't have much, or anything, to hide, but I need to know if I should sign this form. I've worked for this company in my current position for 5 years, and nothing was ever asked of me before. I'm really pissed about this, and my question to you, is...should I be?

They are asking me to sign a full disclosure agreement which entitles them to my criminal record (granted) and all fininancials and all school records and basically surrendering everything I have ever known that resembles anything that has to do with privacy. Now, I don't have much, or anything, to hide, but I need to know if I should sign this form. I've worked for this company in my current position for 5 years, and nothing was ever asked of me before. I'm really pissed about this, and my question to you, is...should I be?

I can understand an employer asking for a criminal background check, but financial and school records seems absurd unless you are going for a job like a Police Officer, etc. My question is why now and also what will they (try) and do if you refuse to allow them to access all your information?

I can understand an employer asking for a criminal background check, but financial and school records seems absurd unless you are going for a job like a Police Officer, etc. My question is why now and also what will they (try) and do if you refuse to allow them to access all your information?

Exactly! I am a manager of a family owned business. I have known parts of the family for over 20 years. They know my history. They trust me (so I thought). I treat the place and all the workers there with respect. But do I want to grant them FULL DISCLOSURE into my life? HELL NO! I just think that they are looking into expanding their empire, and I am set up to be a guinea pig to what may come about in the future. Christ, by signing it, they may be able to check out this post and everything I have ever posted!

I feel like nothing good could come from this... I feel like Randall "Pink" Floyd in "Dazed and Confused" when the coach asks him to sign his commitment letter to his team!

Not for nothing, but if they are worried about getting a background check on this "new manager", shouldn't their hiring practices be questioned in general?

I'm not in HR or a lawyer but i'll go out on a limb here and say that they want to ensure that there's no different standard applied to this person, so everyone who is a manager (or has keys) has to comply with this policy. What is wrong with it is that there was no advanced warning and no explanation of why the policy has changed. I suppose it is possible that they really don't want this new hire to be a manager so they are making it difficult by creating these stumbling blocks of a background check?

Guest Speed Racer

If it's a family business and you've known parts of the family for over 20 years, why don't you approach them and ask them why they are instituting this practice?

Don't argue with them, don't be belligerent about it, just ask them why they are changing their policy after so many years. You could even tell them (depending on how big the business is) that you have appreciated the implicit trust that has been the norm for so many years, and ask if this is better (okay, don't phrase it like that, but you know what I mean).

So, why not just ask?

What type of business is it? Do you deal a lot with money?

The reason I ask is because I applied for a job at a bank before and they ran a credit check on me in addition to the criminal background check. They don't want someone working around large amounts of cash when they are in over their head or if they have a gambling problem or something like that.

The reason I ask is because I applied for a job at a bank before and they ran a credit check on me in addition to the criminal background check. They don't want someone working around large amounts of cash when they are in over their head or if they have a gambling problem or something like that.

Yep. My last couple jobs have involved writing transaction-software for banks, and they have required a credit check in addition to the more common criminal checks and drug tests. Privacy-wise, it blows. But if you are potentially dealing with a lot of money, I guess they want to be sure you're not gonna pull an Office Space/Superman 3 scam on them. :lol

I don't like these checks, but I'm also not sure what you can really do about them. Depending on the nature of the business you're in, they might not be avoidable. I don't think anybody has ever run a school check on me. I'm not sure what the point of that is unless they want to verify that you did, like, actually graduate from medical school before they allow you to perform open heart surgery or something.

Guest Muncle Douchey
I'm really pissed about this, and my question to you, is...should I be?

this is most likely something you cannot control. don't let it bother you.

i mean, you could ask someone, maybe a lawyer if you know one, or express your concerns to your employer even, as to the legality of this, but really, if you don't have anything to hide, just do it, and be done with it. let it go, if you will.

I don't think anybody has ever run a school check on me. I'm not sure what the point of that is unless they want to verify that you did, like, actually graduate from medical school before they allow you to perform open heart surgery or something.

Judging by the amount of investigatory shows I've watched about people posing as doctors and doing crazy shit to innocent patients, I'd say those checks don't happen as often as I'd like to think.

This sort of thing is common these days - even what a person does online is looked at. I have read of some cases where people lost their jobs after many years - due to the fact that they had to go through something like this - and it was found that they did not really have the degree that they claimed to have had at the time they were hired.

I think due to The Homeland Security Act, a lot of things like this will be the norm now.

Edited by Analogman

This request seems excessive. How big is the company you work for? I only ask because smaller company's (100 employees or less I believe) have different rules than larger companies. I work for a huge company and I know that our HR people can only delve into areas related to your qualifications to perform the job. I know we are very careful about what we ask and how we ask it, so we are in compliance with the law.

All good points and concerns, I appreciate the help.

The business can. and does, have quite a bit of cash lying around, and currently employs 42 people. I mean, I can see their concern with wanting to know the history of the new hire, and I can see Jen's point about "different standards" applying, but it still is a slap in the face. I would be more than willing to submit to a criminal background check, but this thing is more than intrusive! They are asking me to sign something that would allow them access to 1) school records 2) medical records and payments 3)check writing history 4) insurance claims 5)credit history 6)and "mode of living". ...this last one is what irks me the most. I am granting them access to include interviews with "neighbors, friends, or associates" about my "character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living". How scary is that?!?!?

My question is, because I was hired prior to this policy being in place, do I have to fully submit to it?

If it's a family business and you've known parts of the family for over 20 years, why don't you approach them and ask them why they are instituting this practice?

Don't argue with them, don't be belligerent about it, just ask them why they are changing their policy after so many years. You could even tell them (depending on how big the business is) that you have appreciated the implicit trust that has been the norm for so many years, and ask if this is better (okay, don't phrase it like that, but you know what I mean).

So, why not just ask?

You're right! I will do this tonight after we close.

Thanks for the calm-down.

All good points and concerns, I appreciate the help.

The business can. and does, have quite a bit of cash lying around, and currently employs 42 people. I mean, I can see their concern with wanting to know the history of the new hire, and I can see Jen's point about "different standards" applying, but it still is a slap in the face. I would be more than willing to submit to a criminal background check, but this thing is more than intrusive! They are asking me to sign something that would allow them access to 1) school records 2) medical records and payments 3)check writing history 4) insurance claims 5)credit history 6)and "mode of living". ...this last one is what irks me the most. I am granting them access to include interviews with "neighbors, friends, or associates" about my "character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living". How scary is that?!?!?

My question is, because I was hired prior to this policy being in place, do I have to fully submit to it?

In many states, people are hired "at will" - they can be fired at any time for any reason that is NOT forbidden by law, and I kind of doubt your situation is covered by that. The policy certainly sounds like something some lawyer came up with; I would point out to your bosses how intrusive it is. They may not even be aware of it.

Since the busines sis only 42 people, you probably do have to submit. I would bet that they are exempt from all sorts of rules because they are small. And like Bjorn says most states have some sort of employment at will doctrines so...

Thanks for all the help, folks. The problem is solved. Since I work for a "mom and pop" organization, they had no idea how intrusive the search that they were requesting. A more suitable form is now in the works.