buying used cds...

Who cares if it hurts the artist? Of course it hurts them when you buy them used, but it hurts my wallet less and at the end of the day, that's what matters the most. I guess it beats downloading it since you would be supporting the local indie.

Who cares if it hurts the artist? Of course it hurts them when you buy them used, but it hurts my wallet less and at the end of the day, that's what matters the most. I guess it beats downloading it since you would be supporting the local indie.
This is a loaded thread.

Of course it hurts the artists, but at least in the case of non-promo copies they were bought at least once. Reselling of art objects is a rather ancient part of commerce.

LouieB

Of course it helps the artist because someone obviously didn't want the cd, therefore instead of ending up in a landfill where it would take decades to decompose, it ends up on a shelf where it will be chronologically categorized, creating less garbage. Perfectly logical to me. :yes :peace

It would help the artist more to buy the CD new. It helps the indie store to buy it used.

Buy it used and buy a ticket to see the band, or a tshirt at the show.

Good advice, Doc. :cheers

so the black keys thread has inspired me to pick up one of their cds. i think buying it new will best support the artist and the local indie shop, no. thoughts?

c

I think buying it new helps the label more than the artist. I understand the artist only receives a small percentage of retail sales.

Purchasing merch at a show probably is the best way to support the artist.

Reselling of art objects is a rather ancient part of commerce.

Of course, there's the issue of what CDs should be classified as in the realm of art - are they equal to the painting or are they equal to the reprint of the painting?

Speaking as someone who has bought hundreds of used CDs, many of which later led to purchases of new CDs by the same artist, I believe buying used CDs helps artists, albeit in a roundabout way.

Of course, there's the issue of what CDs should be classified as in the realm of art - are they equal to the painting or are they equal to the reprint of the painting?

Don't get us started!

It would help the artist more to buy the CD new. It helps the indie store to buy it used.

Buy it used and buy a ticket to see the band, or a tshirt at the show.

Or...

But the new one new.

Rave about it to everyone who will listen. Post about them on teh internets.

Burn the copy of their first that was sent you by a kind soul on the board.

Rave even more. Buy a ticket to the local show...

Wait a minute...that sounds REALLY familiar :monkey

Guest Muncle Douchey
Speaking as someone who has bought hundreds of used CDs, many of which later led to purchases of new CDs by the same artist, I believe buying used CDs helps artists, albeit in a roundabout way.

agreed.

Anything that helps the artist's exposure ultimately helps the artist for the exact reasons cited above, and I can speak of this from personal experience. In fact, I would go so far as to say buying used helps all artists. By supporting the indy store, the indy store becomes more financially solvent, allowing them to make stock purchases of up-and-comers, who they can then recommend to the regular customers (because they know the regulars and are able to make good suggestions), and these up-and-coming bands become more and more popular, then decide tou se that popularity to take up a cause like defeating Tourette's Syndrome, leading to a huge benefit concert that raises the money that finds the cure.

So, buy used CD's to stop Tourette's syndrome.

One of the local indy stores here recently combined new and used into the same section, so when you are looking for something in particular you don't have to look twice. Very effective in that when you ultimately give up looking for something used, if you see it in there new, you can break down and buy it.

So, I actually came to the forum today to ask where I can find used CD places in the Lawrence, MA or Portland, ME area, as I have to go there next week for work. Instead of starting a new thread immediately, if anyone can help, PM me.

Thanks.

GN'R were more than a tad obssesed with Hanoi Rocks weren't they? Vince Neil should be the one wiring them money, that vehicular manslaughterer that he is.

So, I actually came to the forum today to ask where I can find used CD places in the Lawrence, MA or Portland, ME area, as I have to go there next week for work. Instead of starting a new thread immediately, if anyone can help, PM me.

Thanks.

I am VERY familiar with Portland as my wife and I go there about twice a year. You really want to check out Bull Moose Music. They are a large indie music chain in Maine and New Hampshire. They have two locations, one downtown (Middle Street location) and in South Portland which is near the malls (South Portland/Scarborough location). If you can only hit one, go with the South Portland/Scarborough location as it is quite big and they have a very good selection of CDs (new and used), boxed sets, vinyl and even video games and DVDs. The staff are top shelf as well. YOu can get more info here:

www.bullmoosemusic.com

agreed.

i guess i am with you all on this. i mean, i have music in a bunch of different places. burned discs in case logic, my favorite discs on a shelf, and digital music. i guess i wish it was all more streamlined ie all new, all used, all digital etc. anyhow, i went to amazon and downloaded a few black keys songs. way better than itunes with bitrate 256 and no drm. now i hope my computer doesnt crash. :dontgetit

I am VERY familiar with Portland as my wife and I go there about twice a year. You really want to check out Bull Moose Music. They are a large indie music chain in Maine and New Hampshire. They have two locations, one downtown (Middle Street location) and in South Portland which is near the malls (South Portland/Scarborough location). If you can only hit one, go with the South Portland/Scarborough location as it is quite big and they have a very good selection of CDs (new and used), boxed sets, vinyl and even video games and DVDs. The staff are top shelf as well. YOu can get more info here:

www.bullmoosemusic.com

THANK YOU!!!

I travel quite a bit for work and can NEVER find used music locations, other than one I found near the 59&53 intersection in Utica, MI.

Bull Moose is a given, since I have a meeting in Saco that will get out mid-afternoon. Thanks for the info.

And I'm going to take a shot at the screen name and guess...you "ain't all that humble" (I'm just going leave the second part of that right out, assuming I'm wired into the origin of the screen name)