More insightful wisdom from the religious right:

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=7989704

Lawton locals react to OKC representative's anti-gay speech

Lawton_The controversy surrounding an Oklahoma City lawmaker's anti-gay comments is continuing to grow. As we first told you Saturday night on 7News the recording of Oklahoma City Representative Sally Kern's comments spread quickly across the internet after a gay rights activist group posted her voice on You-Tube -- along with commentary and pictures of people who don't agree with her statements.

Religious groups say while they aren't as extreme in their opinions, they do share her stance that the gay culture is negatively affecting our country. But gay rights activists call it hate speech.

"I'm not gay bashing," Kern said in the recording, "but according to God's word, that is not the right kind of lifestyle. It has deadly consequences."

In the recording Representative Kern says "The homosexual agenda is destroying our country."

"Studies show that no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades," she said.

Although kern would not talk to us this weekend, she did tell one TV station that she stands by her comments. "I honestly think it's the biggest threat even that our nation has," she said. "Even more so than terrorists or Islam, which I think is a big threat."

Matt Smith is a local gay rights activist. "Somebody in power like that, that actually represents Oklahoma, I wonder how bad we look compared to the other states," Smith said. "Or to the other countries that are watching that, and seeing that on the internet or on TV or whatever. It's sad. I mean, we're like back in the stone age now."

Lawton Pastor Gary Bender says Kern is right about homosexuality being forbidden in the bible, but he says so are the actions of many other people in society. "We need to be intolerant against adultery, and be just as strong against drinking and lying and cheating and back biting," Bender said. "And I think we have to be careful that we're not too judgmental on all of this but realize that all of us are in need of god's help."

Saturday at 5:00 p.m. that video had been viewed 20,000 times. By that same time Sunday the count was above 165,000. We checked the count one more time while the story was running -- and it was already above 220,000.

Awesome!

I will check this out when I get home tonight. Gore's "The Assault on Reason" went in depth about this - pretty scary stuff indeed.

No, this is a serious question. I really, legitimately want to know where these people are coming from, and I just cannot. Logically it just doesn't work in my brain, so if someone could break down exactly how this is a threat to anything, I'd really appreciate it.

(I'm actually being serious here. I want to know why these people think the way they do.)

The gay agenda, as these people see it, is to "recruit" everyone's sons and daughters to join the gay lifestyle, because it's really just a perverted choice with an accompanying political movement. Once they have enough recruits, they'll go about destroying America by ruining the institution of marriage, committing abominations against God, and cutting into ESPN's ratings.

Fortunately, gays can be "cured"! But those who don't seek to be cured must be denied the basic rights that heterosexuals take for granted.

This is just a guess on my part, because I don't share the worldview of the homophobes and gay-bashers.

While I said it rather tongue in cheek, there is a lot of truth to what I said. Their belief is that if gay people are allowed to wed that it devalues marriage for everyone else. Nevermind the fact that historically marriage has been more of a business/family arrangement than it having anything to do with love or passion. Hell, there are still many places in the world that use women as chattel for financial/social gain through marriage - and the United States isn't immune to that.

So, the gay "agenda" is to "ruin" these "sacred traditions"

Like cryptique said, there is also a belief that there is an agenda to turn everyone gay and to indoctrinate children at a young age into the homosexual lifestyle.

the Christian Right is also really good at framing debates and dominating the use of language. They are the ones that use the words "gay agenda" because it sounds threatening.......

While I said it rather tongue in cheek, there is a lot of truth to what I said. Their belief is that if gay people are allowed to wed that it devalues marriage for everyone else. Nevermind the fact that historically marriage has been more of a business/family arrangement than it having anything to do with love or passion. Hell, there are still many places in the world that use women as chattel for financial/social gain through marriage - and the United States isn't immune to that.

So, the gay "agenda" is to "ruin" these "sacred traditions"

Like cryptique said, there is also a belief that there is an agenda to turn everyone gay and to indoctrinate children at a young age into the homosexual lifestyle.

the Christian Right is also really good at framing debates and dominating the use of language. They are the ones that use the words "gay agenda" because it sounds threatening.......

Agreed.

And, I would add, that if you were to corner someone who holds this belief, and sort of like challenge them to define what, exactly they mean by

More insightful wisdom from the religious right:

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=7989704

Lawton locals react to OKC representative's anti-gay speech

Lawton_The controversy surrounding an Oklahoma City lawmaker's anti-gay comments is continuing to grow. As we first told you Saturday night on 7News the recording of Oklahoma City Representative Sally Kern's comments spread quickly across the internet after a gay rights activist group posted her voice on You-Tube -- along with commentary and pictures of people who don't agree with her statements.

Religious groups say while they aren't as extreme in their opinions, they do share her stance that the gay culture is negatively affecting our country. But gay rights activists call it hate speech.

"I'm not gay bashing," Kern said in the recording, "but according to God's word, that is not the right kind of lifestyle. It has deadly consequences."

In the recording Representative Kern says "The homosexual agenda is destroying our country."

"Studies show that no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades," she said.

Although kern would not talk to us this weekend, she did tell one TV station that she stands by her comments. "I honestly think it's the biggest threat even that our nation has," she said. "Even more so than terrorists or Islam, which I think is a big threat."

My Gay friends are absolutely unable to articulate this agenda. I don't think they are organized enough to pull it off. Beyond that there is a little more background on the issue at hand. The speech in reference was given to a closed to outsiders Republican party gathering. Someone covertly taped it and passed it along. Additionally she says in her talk that homosexuals are the greatest threat facing our nation, greater even than Al Qaeda and terrorism.

I would have one question for this lady...could she produce these studies about countries failing that she references? I seriously doubt it. In fact I doubt she could name one country in the history of the world where homosexuality was their downfall...I certainly can't.

My Gay friends are absolutely unable to articulate this agenda. I don't think they are organized enough to pull it off. Beyond that there is a little more background on the issue at hand. The speech in reference was given to a closed to outsiders Republican party gathering. Someone covertly taped it and passed it along. Additionally she says in her talk that homosexuals are the greatest threat facing our nation, greater even than Al Qaeda and terrorism.

I would have one question for this lady...could she produce these studies about countries failing that she references? I seriously doubt it. In fact I doubt she could name one country in the history of the world where homosexuality was their downfall...I certainly can't.

Pffft

Aren't those last two photos of the same person?

I'd buy you a drink for that. Well done. :thumbup