Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... Smithwick's.

I'm lobbying for St. Patrick's Week.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... Smithwick's.

I'm lobbying for St. Patrick's Week.

I am glad somebody enjoys that vile drink. Very small share of the market over here. Is it a big seller in Amerikay?

I am glad somebody enjoys that vile drink. Very small share of the market over here. Is it a big seller in Amerikay?

In my region, it seems to have just recently popped up. Guinness' marketing department seems to be pushing Smithwick's a lot more vigorously. At my local Irish(esque) pub, they no longer do black and tans, but do "blacksmiths" - Guinness and Smithwick's. I prefer Harp, but when it's poured into a chilled pint glass, I'll gladly take a Smithwick's. Out of the bottle, I'm not crazy about it.

I'll definitely take it over the fake Irish beers that are made by big American breweries. Yuck!

Harp!?!

You would be seriously hard pressed to find a pint of that in any pub in Ireland now. Maybe the midlands, it was popular there and maybe some Dublin bars. Jeez, that was horrible shite too ha ha!

Cork is where I first fell in love with Smithwick's, in Kinsale. We're finally getting it over here now. :D

Harp!?!

You would be seriously hard pressed to find a pint of that in any pub in Ireland now. Maybe the midlands, it was popular there and maybe some Dublin bars. Jeez, that was horrible shite too ha ha!

Just drinking what's available in the States. How about you send me a real Irish beer sample pack? :thumbup :cheers

Sure, Megaupload do ya? :shifty

Guinness remains very popular here as does Beamish in Cork. Heineken and Carlsberg are popular too. Budweiser draft sells very well. Bulmer's is the only one for me.

Sure, Megaupload do ya? :shifty

Sure! That'll work! :thumbup

Guinness remains very popular here as does Beamish in Cork. Heineken and Carlsberg are popular too. Budweiser draft sells very well. Bulmer's is the only one for me.

My turn to say, "How can anyone drink that swill?" in regards to Budweiser. :yucky I live near St. Louis, which is the Budweiser world headquarters. My theory is they have all those Clydesdales because it takes a lot of giant horses to create enough urine to keep up with the world's demand for God-awful beer. :shifty

I'll have to look for Bulmer's next time I hit the local liquor store with the huge import and microbrew section. I don't think I've seen it before.

My turn to say, "How can anyone drink that swill?" in regards to Budweiser.

Agreed. However, over here in the Czech Republic, the real original Budweiser Budvar is an entirely different proposition (much stronger, much better).

I can also confirm what any Irishman or Irishwoman will tell you, having drunk Guinness in many countries, that what you get in Ireland is immeasurably better.

That's not to say that the USA is entirely devoid of good beer (as tends to be the consensus of opinion in Europe, unfortunately). There are truly great micro-breweries all over the US in my experience, and Kansas City, which sticks in my memory (but only just!) for some reason, is just a fantastic night out on the beer!!

Agreed. However, over here in the Czech Republic, the real original Budweiser Budvar is an entirely different proposition (much stronger, much better).

I've heard that several times, and would love to try it sometime.

That's not to say that the USA is entirely devoid of good beer (as tends to be the consensus of opinion in Europe, unfortunately). There are truly great micro-breweries all over the US in my experience, and Kansas City, which sticks in my memory (but only just!) for some reason, is just a fantastic night out on the beer!!

Boulevard Beer from Kansas City! I grew up near KC. Boulevard's Pale Ale and their Unfiltered Wheat are two of my favorite beers. I tend to gravitate towards the small microbreweries, which often make some excellent stuff. Schlafly's in St. Louis is another one of my favorites.

Hell, I'm not above drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon and Stag out of the can. No beer snobbery from me. :cheers

Budvar is tremendous, I agree. Guinness, although not to my liking very much, is immeasurably better here than anywhere. No surprise really. But....Bulmer's rules them all. Like that ring in that movie.

Probably called Magner's outside Ireland.

Budejovice Budweiser, founded 1895.

Anheuser Busch Budweiser, trademarked 1878.

Technically, you're right of course, but it's not quite that simple (and I apologize for dragging this thread away from St Patrick and using a Wikipedia quote):

The name derives from the Bohemian city Budweis (specifically, it means "from Budweis" in German language), part of Austria-Hungary until 1919, and Česk

Well. I am slightly intoxicated on Harp, Killian"s and Guinness. My humble opinion at this point in my drunkenness, is Killian's, then Guinness, then Harp. Having had Guinness straight from the brewery, and tonight from the bottle I will say that in Ireland it tastes better. I think Killian's hit the spot just because it is less heavy than Guinness.

Rather than create an new thread and get chastised for it: is there a thread of favorite Wilco drunk songs? I know of one for hungover songs but not one for people who are currently inebriated. (I searched 'drunk' and there were 18 pages!)