I really don't get what he's tootin' his horn all about. Yes, mp3s are shitty sounding, but it's a fact of life. It's analogous to recording stuff onto a casette from the radio or whatnot from, say, 30 years ago. Complaining about them won't get rid of them. They're always going to be around and the more musicians toot their horn the less likely people will actually give a damn about it. There's missing "sound" from shitty recordings but their vibe is unparalleled.

Yea, exactly. I grew up on AM radio.....no MP3 is going to ultimately sound shitter than AM radio in a car in mono.

Most people any more don't even have full blown stereo systems with big speakers. Do they even sell them to anyone but audiophiles anymore?

LouieB

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003725203

i think lou is a bit misinformed here. not all mp3s are shitty quality. itunes, yes, amazon, no. he kind comes off as a dick. guess he showed up at his 'tribute' show and said he was the first punk rocker.

c

he said "I Love Punk Rock... and I was the first"

it was fairly tongue in cheek and he was smirking while he said it, but even despite that, it could easily be argued in Lou's favor imo.

the Tribute was a lot of fun. MMJ, Dr. Dog, YLT, Thurston Moore, Joseph Arthur, Moby (w/ Lou), etc.

as for his thoughts on mp3s, relating to the quality issues... i agree with Lou 100%. just because MOST people can't tell the difference between 256kbps and CD quality, doesn't mean I want to accept or pay for lesser quality.

I will never ever ever ever EVER pay for a product that is inferior quality as long as another option exists (and if some day it doesn't, then I'll probably just stop buying new music).

Look, mp3s, ipod's, etc. are all very convenient, but to me sound quality ALWAYS trumps convenience, call me anal all you want, i don't care.

Memory storage is getting cheaper all the time, so it could come to pass a few years down the line that there are iPods inexpensive enough and with enough storage that one could have everything they want on one in all-FLAC format.

He might've also been bemoaning the overuse of compression on today's recordings. It's a drag for musicians to have their music fucked with like that... "optimized" for earbuds and computer speakers.

On the plus side, your music is reaching a wider audience than ever. So deal. The older I get, the more I find audiophiles sound like ranting idiots. And I am one.

He might've also been bemoaning the overuse of compression on today's recordings. It's a drag for musicians to have their music fucked with like that... "optimized" for earbuds and computer speakers.

On the plus side, your music is reaching a wider audience than ever. So deal. The older I get, the more I find audiophiles sound like ranting idiots. And I am one.

At least you admit it.....

I love LPs but the fact is they don't play in cars or when you are walking around, riding the el, or excercising at the gym (something I don't do but lots of folks do.) I dig my iPod even though I don't use it that often.

LouieB

At least you admit it.....

I love LPs but the fact is they don't play in cars or when you are walking around, riding the el, or excercising at the gym (something I don't do but lots of folks do.) I dig my iPod even though I don't use it that often.

LouieB

Yup.....I have a big LP collection, and I enjoy spinning vinyl. But in reality, 90% of the time I'm listening to the ipod (with decent headphones) or to my desktop system.

I don't own an iPod b/c I think they sound like ass. That said, I totally agree with bjorn that eventually they will not, since as memory gets cheaper and cheaper there is just no cause for the undue compression. And I definitely do NOT consider myself an audiophile. I just think the iTunes versions sound so much worse that I am still the guy at work with (literally) 80 CDs all over the place.

What's ironic is that I am a songwriter doing the myspace thing to get my songs out there, and generally b/c of the file-size restriction, I have to compress my songs beyond what iTunes does. Yes, I would prefer to be able to run higher-quality audio. But I'll be damned if there is a more efficient way to get your content out to a lot of people, fast, with little expense to the musician and the audience. I guess I'd rather have more people listen to degraded versions all my songs as I put them together, than to have just my very-closest friends and family get a CD of my tightest efforts every 8 or 12 months.

Bottom line is that mp3s suck audio-wise, but have other characteristics that can be considered a valid tradeoff for some musicians. Admittedly, I can see how that applies more to indie / semi-pro musicians than folks who are up to their eyeballs in real studios though... Less to lose when your start-point is relatively lo-fi.

he said "I Love Punk Rock... and I was the first"

it was fairly tongue in cheek and he was smirking while he said it, but even despite that, it could easily be argued in Lou's favor imo.

the Tribute was a lot of fun. MMJ, Dr. Dog, YLT, Thurston Moore, Joseph Arthur, Moby (w/ Lou), etc.

as for his thoughts on mp3s, relating to the quality issues... i agree with Lou 100%. just because MOST people can't tell the difference between 256kbps and CD quality, doesn't mean I want to accept or pay for lesser quality.

I will never ever ever ever EVER pay for a product that is inferior quality as long as another option exists (and if some day it doesn't, then I'll probably just stop buying new music).

Look, mp3s, ipod's, etc. are all very convenient, but to me sound quality ALWAYS trumps convenience, call me anal all you want, i don't care.

good points. 128kbs at itunes for 99 cents is a total ripoff. should be 25 cents. unfortunately, they don't have much incentive to change as people keep buying them up. 256 is nice, but i wonder if we will ever be able to download lossless for 10 bucks. that would be pretty good. :thumbup

I don't own an iPod b/c I think they sound like ass. That said, I totally agree with bjorn that eventually they will not, since as memory gets cheaper and cheaper there is just no cause for the undue compression. And I definitely do NOT consider myself an audiophile. I just think the iTunes versions sound so much worse that I am still the guy at work with (literally) 80 CDs all over the place.

What's ironic is that I am a songwriter doing the myspace thing to get my songs out there, and generally b/c of the file-size restriction, I have to compress my songs beyond what iTunes does. Yes, I would prefer to be able to run higher-quality audio. But I'll be damned if there is a more efficient way to get your content out to a lot of people, fast, with little expense to the musician and the audience. I guess I'd rather have more people listen to degraded versions all my songs as I put them together, than to have just my very-closest friends and family get a CD of my tightest efforts every 8 or 12 months.

Bottom line is that mp3s suck audio-wise, but have other characteristics that can be considered a valid tradeoff for some musicians. Admittedly, I can see how that applies more to indie / semi-pro musicians than folks who are up to their eyeballs in real studios though... Less to lose when your start-point is relatively lo-fi.

do you think ipods sound like ass or do the tunes bought from itunes sound like ass? on can rip a cd, using itunes, onto a computer in a lossless format and sync this to an ipod. it's exactly the same audio as on the cd, just on the ipod. now what does sound like ass are regular itunes songs at 128kbs, to some ears. and transcoding results in unlistenable music.

Everybody's different when it comes to listening to music. To me, 128 AAC is fine for most things, but I don't buy too many any more now that better is available.

do you think ipods sound like ass or do the tunes bought from itunes sound like ass? on can rip a cd, using itunes, onto a computer in a lossless format and sync this to an ipod. it's exactly the same audio as on the cd, just on the ipod. now what does sound like ass are regular itunes songs at 128kbs, to some ears. and transcoding results in unlistenable music.

Sorry, yeah. I think of an iPod as just a hard drive, I'm referring to the iTunes downloads.

My old CD player broke down...any suggestions on a new one? I am really crushed, it was a really nice Phillips and I figured it would work forever.... :lol So now I can only play LPs....

LouieB

I dunno if its necessarily the engineers fault. Some bands out there want that compressed sound...a prime example is the Flaming Lips most recent record. Personally I think it sounds like crap, but thats the route they seem to be taking.