Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Jr. Amp

After playing acoustic for a few years, I've just purchased my first guitar (Gibson SG) and want to pair it with a suitable amp that I'm not going to outgrow or wish I hadn't bought in a month. After much reading and perusing not only this area of VC but various other sites on the internet, I've come to drool (just a touch) over this little guy: Gibson GA-5.

Anyhow, my needs are fairly simple. I'm not gigging, and not in need of a 100w half-stack. I simply want to learn the nuances of my guitar w/o all that other stuff that accompanies modeling amps and the like. I can appreciate the simplicity of a single knob. Also, I'd like to hang on to what hearing I still have-- though I've heard that these 5 Watt amps are plenty loud.

Does anyone on here have one of these amps?

Any advice or experience with them would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kevin

GA5%20Les%20Paul%20Junior.jpg

If you're looking for a small, simple tube amp, I'd recommend the Fender Champ (as most regulars around SST know) -- also 5 watts and around $200. I've got one that I use for recording, and I have been surprised at how great it sounds. It breaks up well when cranked and generally has a great tube tone. It also only has one knob. I don't know much about that specific Gibson amp, but Gibson is not really known as a great manufacturer of amps like Fender (though there's a movement afoot of people who really appreciate some older model Gibson amps for their "unique" tones).

Not a fan.

Played the old (50s-60s) versions (Les Paul Junior) and a modern one.

I really wanted to like it BTW.... but it just left me cold.

I think this will actually have you looking for a replacement pretty quickly.

I dig small amps a lot....this one didn't move me at all.

A few more thoughts:

No advice anyone here gives you can beat testing out amps for yourself. Just head on down to your local music store with your SG, plug her in, and see what sounds good to you.

Also, 5 watts is, as you noted, "plenty loud" . . . depending on what you need. It's loud enough for recording, and it's great for practice. It's not loud enough to play gigs (unless maybe you miked it into a PA), and it's not even really loud enough to practice with a band (at least not with a drummer involved). My champ at full volume doesn't really bother my wife watching tv a few hundred feet away if the door to the studio is closed (which is one of the reasons I got it).

A few more thoughts:

No advice anyone here gives you can beat testing out amps for yourself. Just head on down to your local music store with your SG, plug her in, and see what sounds good to you.

Also, 5 watts is, as you noted, "plenty loud" . . . depending on what you need. It's loud enough for recording, and it's great for practice. It's not loud enough to play gigs (unless maybe you miked it into a PA), and it's not even really loud enough to practice with a band (at least not with a drummer involved). My champ at full volume doesn't really bother my wife watching tv a few hundred feet away if the door to the studio is closed (which is one of the reasons I got it).

Thanks for the practical advice. At this juncture, my needs are very simple, and I do only need it for practice. The article I plugged in the initial post was geared towards recording with a small amp, but that's not me at this point. I will give the Champ a fightin' chance.

It's not sacrilegious to plug a Gibson into a Fender is it? Just kiddin'.

Kevin

Ouch. I have to wonder though, the plexi housing has to yield a different tone, compared to wood.

Kevin

Way different tone. Forget about it unless you really have a grand to through around. My practice amp is a late 70's Fender Vibro Champ and I love it. These little champs are really going up in value now.

Some interesting and tasty features...but i suspect you wont get much milage out of this one...for one, with a solid state rectifier, it isnt really a class A all tube amp...speaker is small and with limited eq and no reverb, youll narrow that number of tones youll be able to utilize...a loud 5 watts, probably not, the el84 is there to break up early, not project...practice amp, yes, recording amp, maybe...gigging amp, no....surprises the shit out of me that Les Paul would allow his name on something like this...

Im a SG into fender guy for the most part...if i were you id try it out against a Fender Champ, Pro Jr, or even better a Blues Jr...have fun

j

Thought I'd check back in with y'all and let you know how things turned out. After some real hands-on time at the local music store playing the various models, I came home with a Fender Blues Jr. NOS in tweed. I did in fact play the 5w Fender Champion 600, but it just didn't seem to have enough oomph (for lack of a suitable word) and after trying the Blues Jr. I couldn't turn back.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Boy, I'm glad I didn't end up going with the GA-5. I think it would have been a bad purchase

Thought I'd check back in with y'all and let you know how things turned out. After some real hands-on time at the local music store playing the various models, I came home with a Fender Blues Jr. NOS in tweed. I did in fact play the 5w Fender Champion 600, but it just didn't seem to have enough oomph (for lack of a suitable word) and after trying the Blues Jr. I couldn't turn back.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Boy, I'm glad I didn't end up going with the GA-5. I think it would have been a bad purchase

Check out what BillM can do to that machine. Affordable mods that make that thing scream. The Deluxe mod is a must have!

Check out what BillM can do to that machine. Affordable mods that make that thing scream. The Deluxe mod is a must have!

O-man, could you elaborate as to what a BillM is? I confess, I'm brand-new to the world of "demon electricity" as they say at Asylum St. Spankers shows. I'm very happy with the stock sound coming out of this baby, but wouldn't be averse to modding it at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Kevin

Edit: a quick-ass Google search yielded this treasure trove

They are really nice for the price. lol.

But if you got the cash and you want small but mighty amp you really should just get a Swart Space Tone, one of my favorite amps of all time. Tweedy and Dean Wareham use them as well.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Boy, I'm glad I didn't end up going with the GA-5. I think it would have been a bad purchase— I got so much more bang for the buck with this little beauty:

413693.jpg

Congrats -- that's a great amp. I had a feeling 5 watts wasn't going to be enough -- it really is only good for recording and quiet practice time. When you want "oomph," you have to call in the big boys -- I plug in my Fender Bassman 10 in those situations.

Thought I'd pipe up back in this thread and divulge a critical piece of information that a salesman at Sweetwater told me yesterday: Gibson has no plans continue manufacturing the GA-5. I think he said they were producing enough amps to fill out all the backorders, but were not going to continue manufacturing the amp.

Good thing I went with a Fender after all.

Let there be rock,

Kevin