Mudcrutch touring California!

• 3 weeks later...
Mudcrutch Hopes To Live Beyond Reunion Tour

Mudcrutch

April 10, 2008, 11:35 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers hope there's more Mudcrutch in their future.

The reunited Gainesville, Fla., band that Petty and company took to Los Angeles in 1974 releases its self-titled "debut" on April 29 and plays 11 California shows beginning Saturday in Malibu. Promoting the album will be interrupted by a Heartbreakers summer tour that begins May 30, but Campbell tells Billboard.com "there's hope" that Mudcrutch will resurface on the other side of that -- and beyond.

"It's not a nostalgia trip," says keyboardist Tench. "It's a living, breathing band. And it's certainly, I hope, not a one-off, because I really love it and I have missed the sound."

Guitarist Campbell adds that the 14-track album -- recorded with Petty on bass and original Mudcrutch members Tom Leadon (younger brother of Eagles co-founder Bernie Leadon) on guitar and Randall Marsh on drums -- "was such a pleasure to do, and the response to the record has been so positive so far. If there is an audience for it, we would certainly have a reason to do it again."

It sounds like there will be time. Campbell says that after the summer tour the Heartbreakers will "take a couple years off to write the next album. We'd like to make a really great album this time and take our time with the songs ... and work on it at our own speed." There's no new material yet, according to Campbell, but he says that it's "looming."

Campbell and Tench, meanwhile, will be heard on Neil Diamond's new album, "Home Before Dark," after working on 2005's gold-certified "12 Songs." "The songs are wonderful, just wonderful," Tench says, while Campbell adds that, like "12 Songs," it's another sans-drums effort that's "built around Neil and his guitar. We made him play guitar again, and he loved it. He wrote some good songs and, of course, Rick Rubin produced it, which is always fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Lover of The Bayou is a Byrds song off of the Untitled album.

Love that one. :thumbup

Tickets are reasonable for these smaller venues... $45-55 most shows! Come to NYC :stunned

Tickets are gone and are outrageous levels as of lately. They are even selling higher than Radiohead tickets. Granted Mudcrutch is playing a much much much much more intimate venue.

The album's streaming now from the site, and holy shit, it's amazing. And I'm saying this as a man who believes strongly that Petty hasn't done anything worth listening to in 20 years.

I'm flabbergasted. This could be the best album he's ever made. Seriously. It's straight up Flying Burrito Brothers meets the first Heartbreakers album meets Full Moon Fever.

I can't help but wonder if Ron coming back (after 20 some odd years) had something to do with this happening. It must have been an amazing experience for those guys - being called up to make an album after so many years had passed. Maybe Tom will keep Randall Marsh around to play drums with The Heartbreakers. So far, this album reminds me of Wildflowers/Echo.

And the documentary - that had something to do with this -

Edited by Analogman
The album's streaming now from the site, and holy shit, it's amazing. And I'm saying this as a man who believes strongly that Petty hasn't done anything worth listening to in 20 years.

I'm flabbergasted. This could be the best album he's ever made. Seriously. It's straight up Flying Burrito Brothers meets the first Heartbreakers album meets Full Moon Fever.

you do realize that a good portion of this material was written 35+ years ago right? that might explain why the record is so great :)

but i agree, i was shocked how much i liked it

I agree with all the comments, and I know both are derived from the Irish-folk traditionals, but this main guitar riff in "Shady Grove" sounds a TON like the Steve Earle song, "Taneytown" just about 15 bpm faster or something.

(I couldn't quickly find any audio of earle's song to post, sorry.)

• 1 month later...
Media Talk

For Tom Petty Fans, the True Sound of Vinyl, Also Captured on a CD

By ROBERT LEVINE

Published: June 23, 2008

The vinyl version of the new album from Mudcrutch, the recently reunited band from the early

I got my copy today... it sounds incredible on vinyl, and the different CD version is pretty cool. It comes in its own cardboard sleeve with a photo of the studio on the cover explaining the differences between it and the standard CD. The album itself is really a grower too.

• 4 months later...
'The Story Of Mudcrutch' Documentary To Air On VH1 Classic Beginning November 11

VH1 Classic will premiere "The Story Of Mudcrutch" on November 11 at 8pm EST/PST. Produced by Peter Bogdanovich, this special documentary tells the story of Mudcrutch from their days playing at Dubs in Gainesville, FL to their 2007 reunion and features footage of the band playing tracks from their debut LP in their clubhouse rehearsalspace.

The Mudcrutch documentary will re-air on VH1 Classic at the following times:

November 11, 11pm EST/PST

November 14, 1am EST/PST (late night Thursday 11/13, technically Friday monrning

11/14)

November 14, 4pm EST/PST

November 16, 10pm EST/PST

*Mudcrutchmusic.com. . .also they are streaming 4 songs from the upcoming live LP on the website