Now Playing: April, 2008

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought 'Bright Like Neon Love' got quite a bit of press in '04, but maybe just in certain circles. always loved the cover art:

51D8AJF7DQL._SS500_.jpg

the new one is a bit TOO too New Order-ish for me at times, but ah well

51oPuEysBtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Can't seem to stay away from the Scott Walker records lately.

fuckers need to just stop with the guest spots, they don't sell records, contrary to popular belief.

this is the first Roots record i outright have no interest in buying. granted the last 2 weren't amazing, but still worthy of my $$.

fuckers need to just stop with the guest spots, they don't sell records, contrary to popular belief.

this is the first Roots record i outright have no interest in buying. granted the last 2 weren't amazing, but still worthy of my $$.

really?! hmm, i'm finding it solid enough...at least i'm enjoying it no more/ no less than 'game theory'. do agree w/ the guest spot comment to some extent, it can definitely clutter things up a little.

well, Game Theory up until this point was my least favorite Roots album minus Organix... so there you go...

their post '00 records have been solid, but don't compare for me. i prefer when they were just kinda ripping off Stetsasonic honestly, they've adopted a lot of the things i hate about mainstream rap/hip hop since Phrenology (which save for a few songs was still a killer album, their last truly great record for me).

i'd say their peak was definitely from '95 to '00 and most of their live shows i've seen post '03 haven't been even remotely as good (still top notch as far as live hop goes, don't get me wrong). i think losing Rhazel and Skratch hurt quite a bit.

can't disagree w/ any of that...definitely dig the older stuff pre-phrenology the most, but i've liked the stuff after a little more than it sounds like you do.

yeah... it's really hard for me to seperate the two, even if there's only 2 original members left i guess...

it's not that i dislike them now, i just have a hard time getting that excited about it, whereas for a while there they were pretty much the premiere hip hop act for me.

you're right though, compared to most mainstream stuff, the Roots are still top notch, can't deny you that