Satan,Your Kingdom Must Come Down

I just remembered, had completely forgotten that my favourite song from this album is actually "Moonshiner".

Moonshiner is the opposite of Satan, it's a gentle ballad with wise words.

While moonshiner is appropriate for all audiences, Satan is not.

?

Satan, your kingdom must come down

I heard the voice of Jesus say

gonna pray until they tear your kingdom down

gonna pray until they tear your kingdom down

gonna shout until they tear your kingdom down

gonna shout until they tear your kingdom down

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

It's because of the religious imagery of the song, even if it isn't properly speaking a "Christian" song. What I meant by that is, people who probably don't believe in religious imagery, in evil vs. good, or in Satan all together, that's why it may not be appealing to everyone. Plus, people who in general don't like music with religious content (remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine's boyfriend had his car stereo tuned to Christian music and she tried to modify all the settings?)

On the other hand, the rest of the repertoire is more secular, I prefer the verses of Coalminers about "this capitalist system" rather than the Satanic kingdom imagery.

Just listeing to March 16-20 on the recommendation of you guys, I too am not at all familiar with Uncle Tupelo despite being a huge fan of Wilco's.

The biggest track for me so far is Sandusky, eventhough it has no lyrics, the music is brilliant!

Glad I had a look at this thread and checked out UT's stuff!

It's because of the religious imagery of the song, even if it isn't properly speaking a "Christian" song. What I meant by that is, people who probably don't believe in religious imagery, in evil vs. good, or in Satan all together, that's why it may not be appealing to everyone. Plus, people who in general don't like music with religious content (remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine's boyfriend had his car stereo tuned to Christian music and she tried to modify all the settings?)

On the other hand, the rest of the repertoire is more secular, I prefer the verses of Coalminers about "this capitalist system" rather than the Satanic kingdom imagery.

Holy crap.

Are we to the point where only a totally and unequivocably secular song is 'appropriate for all audiences?

Listening to a song doesn't mean you are going to be dragged off to be forcibly baptized.

Just listeing to March 16-20 on the recommendation of you guys, I too am not at all familiar with Uncle Tupelo despite being a huge fan of Wilco's.

The biggest track for me so far is Sandusky, eventhough it has no lyrics, the music is brilliant!

You are in for a treat, friend. Listen to it all.

There are also a whole bunch of UT live shows out there.

And - you can also find a lot of UT clips on Youtube.

Holy crap.

Are we to the point where only a totally and unequivocably secular song is 'appropriate for all audiences?

Listening to a song doesn't mean you are going to be dragged off to be forcibly baptized.

I understand what you say, and I quite agree with it. I personally don't have any trouble listening to the song (since maybe I'm going to end up in hell anyway :)) but the point is, there are people out there, and I know a few of them who are friends or colleagues, who would have an issue with the lyrics.

I understand what you say, and I quite agree with it. I personally don't have any trouble listening to the song (since maybe I'm going to end up in hell anyway :)) but the point is, there are people out there, and I know a few of them who are friends or colleagues, who would have an issue with the lyrics.

And I would state that such an attitude toward a simple song is as hidebound, rigid and unthinking as any held by the record burners.

This not so young poster also enjoys this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DTrP7j1_zw

The allmusic.com portal shows 14 albums that contain the song "Satan, your kingdom must come down".

Of these, only two are billed as "religious" while the majority (4 albums each) are branded "Folk" and "Pop Rock", followed by "Blues" and "Country" with two occurrences each.

Tupelo's version is branded as "Pop / Rock".

Robert Plant's song is filed under "Satan your Kingdom must come down" (without a comma).

Also I wanted to add a random question, is it O.K. that say that Tupelo is to Wilco what the Yardbirds are to Led Zeppelin?

That's interesting.

The song is really an old mountain/spiritual/traditional song. I believe Uncle Tupelo learned the song from a album of field recordings. I think the song originates in South Carolina. It is African-American in origin.