Satan,Your Kingdom Must Come Down

an editor? that's like saying Shakespeare should have trimmed some of Hamlet and Macbeth, because they were too wordy

i wouldn't change a damn thing on any of Jay's records, solo or son volt

this is some of the most brilliant, inventive, compelling, cliche-free music i've ever heard

then again, if ya dig 90 percent of a record, that's a pretty damn good percentage

as for Uncle Tupelo, I would start with Still Feel Gone. tremendous

Well, I'd be okay with Shakespeare having trimmed a bunch of the stuff he wrote. Motherfucker was wordy. I'm a huge Jay fan, but I think he could lose a couple songs on Wide Swing Tremolo and I'd be just fine with it. I'm not sure I ever need to hear "Been Set Free" or "Way Down Watson" ever again. All four UT albums are required listening as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is some of the most brilliant, inventive, compelling, cliche-free music i've ever heard

I don't want to fire this up again. But really.....on Okemah when you hear him referencing Highway 61 or bellowing "The words of Woody Guthrie ringing in my head." It seemed to do little more then reference the most boringly obvious points, like 'wow! you're so folky for dropping broad side of a barn references to Dylan and Guthrie'.

That said, its good to dig what you dig, that's just where I jump off the boat. :monkey

I am not up to my eyeballs in UT, frankly, but I find Anodyne just terrific.

Edit to add: the nicest compliment I've ever gotten was that one of my songs sounds like a lost Anodyne track. The guy was wrong, but still a day-improving thing to have said to you.

the horns really add to the search... trace still wins hands down

• 3 years later...

Buy March.....and be done with it.

LouieB

I think I'm going with this approach.

Satan is a good song, although I prefer the most secular lyrics of Coalminers. Coalminers is a gem.

I might be buying more Son Volt albums, while Sebastopol is exotic and appealing enough for an album name.

Ahhhh...Jay Farrar in pre-"Wide Sing Tremolo" days...I finally dug some of that stuff out again the other day and it reminded me of just how little I listen to him now. ohwell.gif

And yes, get March 16-20. Outstanding contributions from both Jay and Jeff.

Jay semed old before his time but now that I am old I came across a great live version of Whiskey Bottle and Looking for a Way Out and I miss this stuff. Then I listened to Gun, both the Tupelo version and a Jeff solo live version. I still take Jeff all the way but one more live show would make for a great album.

Question from a newbie : Where can I find this beautiful song? I heard on the Tweedy�s DVD.

I can�t find an "official" record.

If you like the Tweedy solo version, after you buy the album make sure you stop in at Owl and Bear and check out Jeff's live stuff. I say buy Anthology, March 16-20, and Anodyne. March 16-20 is unreal, as would any album Peter Buck wanted to produce but decided to just step backand let it fly, and make sure you also check out Sandusky on March 16-20. Anthology is a nice broad brush. And Anodyne works well any time, anywhere. The last Jeff track on Anodyne, No Sense in Lovin, is like a welcome to Wilco bonus track. You would think you were listening to AM, and the song would be just as at home on Being There. It won't be long before you are scrounging rare record stores for Still Feel Gone and No Depression so you won't miss out on anything no matter what you decide to buy. Great stuff, and still relevant.

It won't be long before you are scrounging rare record stores for Still Feel Gone and No Depression so you won't miss out on anything no matter what you decide to buy.

These aren't rare. Weren't they reissued just a few years ago. Meanwhile you can find used copies of the originals that people dumped after the reissues came out.

LouieB

These aren't rare. Weren't they reissued just a few years ago. Meanwhile you can find used copies of the originals that people dumped after the reissues came out.

LouieB

Sorry you were offended. The term rare referred to "record stores" not releases. Sure BEst Buy has them, but if not, check for the "odd", plentiful, record store.

I just remembered, had completely forgotten that my favourite song from this album is actually "Moonshiner".

Moonshiner is the opposite of Satan, it's a gentle ballad with wise words.

While moonshiner is appropriate for all audiences, Satan is not.

I did a little google research, since I wanted to know who had written this, turns out it's a traditional song, which means not a particular person is credited. I think most of the songs on the album are "traditional".

Let me eat when I'm hungry

let me drink when I'm dry

two dollars when I'm hard up

religion when I die

the whole world is a bottle

and life is but a dram

when the bottle gets empty

Lord, it sure ain't worth a damn

I also checked a version by some guys called Redbird, although there exists a solo version by Jeffrey Foucault as well.

I prefer Tupelo's version.

March 16-20 is a must. I'd also second someone else's sentiment that Anodyne is not to be skipped either.

Really, though, it's all good. It's neat to start at the beginning and hear the evolution. It's evident.

March 16-20 is a must. I'd also second someone else's sentiment that Anodyne is not to be skipped either.

Really, though, it's all good. It's neat to start at the beginning and hear the evolution. It's evident.

Most days, March is my favorite UT record.